Desktops forum

General discussion

6600gt in emachines t6212 or gateway 827 gm

by RielTime / May 8, 2005 11:57 PM PDT

Has anyone put a 6600gt card in either the T6212 or the 827 GM? They both have the same MoBo. Emachines and Gateway strongly recommend using an ATI based graphics card stated in their documentation and include a $20 rebate for the ATI Radeon X700 Pro.
Do you think putting in a 6600gt board would create a conflict?

Thanks......................... Tom

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 6600gt in emachines t6212 or gateway 827 gm
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 6600gt in emachines t6212 or gateway 827 gm
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Motherboard of Gateway 827GM
by John Robie / May 9, 2005 3:31 AM PDT

Hi Tom,

Emachine gives the motherboard part number in this link, as MS-7093 which is the RS480M2-IL motherboard:

http://parts.emachines.com/emachines/sys_lookup.asp
(Select Model)

I have been unable to find a link with Gateway or other creditable sites that gives the motherboard brand/number of the Gateway 827GM. Can you provide?

Thanks,

Collapse -
Gateway MoBo
by RielTime / May 9, 2005 3:55 AM PDT

No link. I called Gateway and they were no help. I went to Circuit City and asked the saleman to open the case and saw MS-7093 on the board.

Tom

Collapse -
re
by nerdyboy1234 / May 9, 2005 11:23 AM PDT
In reply to: Gateway MoBo

if u get the 6600gt, most likely no conflict. How would there be?

just disable the ati integrated graphics.

Collapse -
Hey
by SeaninWa / May 9, 2005 12:35 PM PDT
In reply to: re

Hey,

Well I think when he used that word 'conflict' it was not a good representation. I could be wrong though. As they, Nvidia and ATI, are both supported by the PCI-Express slot on both machines. To the best of my knowledge.

What I would like to know and I think he would too is would it just be better then to use a ATI card x600,x700,x800,x850 etc than to use Nvidia card. Since the documentation, from what I understand here, supports both but recommends ATI cards.

I have read here also though to get the 6600gt over say the x700pro, since it performs better, evidently regardless of the ATI card recommendation in the documentation. Is that a fair statement?

I will next week be purchasing one of the two and I am still not sure which. I am leaning toward the 6600gt now after reading some on it. But I don't know if any retailer (only 3 I canthink of are Best Buy, Circuit City and CompUSA) in my area carries a 6600gt PCI-E card and I DON'T want to wait I want it all the same day lol. I have checked online and none of them have them it seems, or are out of stock heh. Plenty of x700pro's though. Can't find x700xt's in retail stores though :(.

Good Luck to us both btw!

Collapse -
re
by nerdyboy1234 / May 9, 2005 1:57 PM PDT
In reply to: Hey

x700xt arent really made anymore.

check newegg. they had 6600gt around $150.
but u said u dont wanna wait

If u want ati would not recommend getting the x700.

go for the x800xl as it performs better than 6800 gt but the problem is ati doesnt have the pixel shaders or something supported in the next unrreal tournment game and other games. dat is y most ppl buy nvidia.

however the ati is faster and would still work with the games just look a little junker or something

however, most ppl dont care as the performance for the price of the x800xl is a bargain.

the x800xl also has 16 pixel lines.

Collapse -
RE:
by damasta55r / May 9, 2005 1:58 PM PDT

6600GTs are way better than an X700 Pro. It is always recommended even if you don't have a motherboard based on ati graphics to stick with ati if you have it already on your computer and nvidia if you have that. Mostly, ATIs are stuck to intel and Nvidia to AMD, the 2 makers have equal shares in apple.
Roger

Collapse -
6600gt and power supply
by RielTime / May 9, 2005 9:59 PM PDT

Just remember that EVGA 6600gt recommends a 350 watt minimum power supply as per their web site. They can be had for somewhere around $40.

Collapse -
eh? $40? where?
by nerdyboy1234 / May 10, 2005 11:26 AM PDT

i think u meant $140 maybe.

man i wish there was a 6600 gt around dat price.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) NT-Prolly meant for the PSU ?
by SeaninWa / May 10, 2005 11:30 AM PDT
In reply to: eh? $40? where?
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech Tip

Stuck without Internet and want to watch movies?

CNET shows you how to download movies and TV shows onto your device using Amazon Prime so you'll always be entertained.