TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

60 Vs 120 Vs 240 HZ TVs

by WhopperDawg / April 10, 2011 5:05 PM PDT

i understand the benefit of going high end on the HZ, theoretically. But what I am seeing is that no source can deliver over 60 HZ and certainly not 240HZ. And while most H+DMI cables can handle 240 HZ and beyond, the box stores try to up sell you on high end cables as if you have to be consistent with cable lable (HZ rating) and TV (HZ rating). What is the truth?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 60 Vs 120 Vs 240 HZ TVs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 60 Vs 120 Vs 240 HZ TVs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
If you bought a plasma...
by Pepe7 / April 11, 2011 2:25 AM PDT

...you wouldn't have to worry about dealing with that particular issue, since the 120 & 240Hz specs only apply to LCD or LED-LCD HDTVs.

Don't let them up-sell you on expensive monster cables. You would get by just fine with entry level cables that handle the HDMI 1.4 spec just fine. Many folks here order from Monoprice, Blujeanscable & Amazon (Amazon basics) with great results that are definitely on par with the highly marketed Monster brand (etc.).

Collapse -
Cable usage
by mjd420nova / April 11, 2011 5:32 AM PDT

If you'll be installing cables and leaving them alone for up to a year, the cheapest cable will last just as long as the ten times more expensive ones. Now if you'll be connecting and disconnecting the cables more than once a week, get the expensive ones and they'll last a year. When installing cables, ties and hold down loops will relieve the stress on connectors and further extend life. When TV content is 60 cycle based, movie FILMS are 24 frames a second. A 240 cycle display unit can show that many frames, or four times the standard rate. Manufacturers boast brandname processes that replicate the information on those frames that don't exist. A complicated process to insert that made up frame from a frame before and a frame after. All in an effort to smooth out sport or fast action events. Poor connections on HDMI can lead to frame degradation and jerky content.

Collapse -
Tie downs and loops?
by Pepe7 / April 12, 2011 9:58 AM PDT
In reply to: Cable usage

Are you referring to how they are mounted? I guess I have yet to encounter any sort of performance issues on inexpensive HDMI cables as you've suggested. (Maybe I need to try really, really cheap ones? Now it's another issue entirely if the cable is installed bass ackwards or clearly stretched somehow.

Collapse -
Hz
by Dan Filice / April 14, 2011 12:47 AM PDT

The push to buy a TV with a higher Hz rating is a result of LCD and LED TVs having inherent trouble properly displaying fast motion. With 60Hz, a TV may show stuttering during scenes with fast motion. A TV with 120 or 240Hz artificially creates extra video frames that "fill in" the blank spaces a 60Hz TV may give. The problem is that many TVs don't do the higher image processing very good. Also, many viewers see a worse artifact than stuttering on 240Hz TVs in that they add so many artificial fill-in frames that they make everything, especially film content, look like video from a cheap camcorder. I own two 120Hz LCD TVs that do a terrific job of processing the refresh, so I don't see the video effect. I also two Panny Plasmas which don't have any refresh issues, and like Pepe said, they look terrific. My father-in-law has a 240Hz LED and to me and my kids, it's unwatchable because everything has that cheap camcorder look. I also own a 60Hz Panny LCD, but it's only a 32" so I don't see any bad motion blur.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.