Laptops forum

General discussion

6 or 12 cell battery? What is your battery life experience?

by morrefule / November 19, 2006 7:19 AM PST

So I'm wondering about the experience everybody has had with the battery life of their laptops, as well as the portability.
my first question is: if you purchased the larger battery, did you find that it was actually worth the extra cost and weight? I am looking to buy a laptop, and i wont mind paying the additionaly 30-50$ for a larger battery if I am properly convinced. How much would an extra 6 cells add on to the weight of the laptop? I feel like this is a paradox. a 12 cell makes the laptop less sleek-looking also.
I have heard there is a big difference between a 5 lb notebook and a 6 lb notebook when it comes to portability. If you have a laptop with a smaller battery do you find you are constantly attached to an outlet? On the other hand, are you so confident in your laptop's battery life that you dont have to carry your AC adapter with you every day, saving weight there?
I apologize if this question seems all scrambled up and confusing but I just want to know which battery to buy.
Thanks

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 6 or 12 cell battery? What is your battery life experience?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 6 or 12 cell battery? What is your battery life experience?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
I have a 9-cell

I have a 9-cell Lithium-Ion battery on my Dell Inspiron 6400. 6 hours of battery life. Up to 7:30 when the screen is closed and I'm listening to music.

I've never had a 6-cell battery, but my father has a 4-cell. 2 hours maximum, everything at the minimum ( screen brightness, Wi-Fi, GPU power settings and CPU ).

I'll never have a 4-cell, of course. You lose the primary thing of a laptop : the power when you need it, the time you need it.

Battery life is for me a primary factor to consider on a laptop. It's always a pleasur to work on it during 6 hours, whitout paying attention.

The 9-cell doesn't go out of the case on my Dell.

Collapse -
soo, you are saying the 12-cell is better?
by morrefule / November 22, 2006 6:39 AM PST
In reply to: I have a 9-cell

i agree that the 9-cell would be the optimum balance between the 6 and 12 cell batteries. However, hp doesnt off a 9 cell so i guess you are recommending the 12????

Collapse -
My laptop...
by steve749 / November 22, 2006 9:45 AM PST

Has a 12 cell and I really like it. Even though it is usually plugged in, I do like the idea of having the big battery. The key question is how badly is that extra pound for the additional time it'll give.

Another way to think about this is which is worse to you: A heavy laptop or short battery life?

Regards,
JB

Collapse -
hmm
by morrefule / November 23, 2006 11:49 AM PST
In reply to: My laptop...

well given that I have heard the 6-cell can give 1.5 - 2 hours, I think that pretty much forces me to go with the 12 cell battery. I guess i'll just have to get used to the extra weight...
thanks guys,
Digitaldude

Collapse -
my experience
by msnuser111 / April 30, 2009 7:00 AM PDT

I have a dv6000z,with the 12 cell,and with everything set on max performance,with bluetooth and wifi on,I get about 6:30 on battery,with everything on max battery,brightness all the way down,and wifi/bluetooth off I get about 8:30-9:00 at the max. I don't really notice the extra weight,but then again,the dv6000 is like 6.5lbs without a battery. Happy

Collapse -
I have a dv6 series with a 12 cell
by mbawkher / August 4, 2011 12:44 PM PDT

I bought a HP dv6 last year and tried to use the stock battery.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.