TVs & Home Theaters forum

Question

6 dB Splitter vs. Tap

by glieb / March 11, 2013 3:39 AM PDT

I need to install a second cable modem at my house. One will feed my Internet and the other my cable phones. The single modem I have now is fed through a "tap" which is a Regal ZDRDCT1-6, with the tap port feeding my TV and the OUT port feeding my cable modem. Since I now need to split again, can I just put a standard 6 dB splitter on the OUT port of the tap and feed two cable modems with it? My single cable modem now sees a signal level of -6dBmV with a S/N ratio of 38 dB. I guess I don't know what the difference is between a "tap" and a 6 dB splitter.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 6 dB Splitter vs. Tap
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 6 dB Splitter vs. Tap
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Why two?
by Pepe7 / March 11, 2013 4:30 AM PDT
In reply to: 6 dB Splitter vs. Tap

Just curious, since one can easily do the whole shebang.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
No, that's not how it's done.
by Oldartq / March 11, 2013 11:52 AM PDT
In reply to: 6 dB Splitter vs. Tap

One service, one modem..then use a router to branch them. What's all this S/N ratio stuff? I would think if you have a problem with signal strength you should contact your service provider.

Collapse -
Why two modems
by glieb / March 11, 2013 10:03 PM PDT

I am adding a second modem because Time Warner charges me $4 per month to lease my cable modem. By buying my own for about $40, it pays for itself in less than a year. But that does not cover my (cable) phone, so Time Warner said I could buy my own modem and they would remove the $4 monthly charge but LEAVE their modem in my house solely for use by my phones. So now I have two modems.

My original question was what is the difference between a 6 dB splitter and a tap, but the replies have been way beyond the scope of my question. Fortunately, a simple 6 dB splitter in my junk box solved my issue. Someday I'll find out what the difference is between a tap and a splitter.....

Collapse -
Tap vs Splitter
by Pepe7 / March 12, 2013 12:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Why two modems

Here's the layman's explanation (LOL- haven't had coffee yet).

A splitter is sort of a dead end device per se. The signal drops when you split it at that point, 3.5db. Sometimes an amplifier is used before the splitter to compensate for that loss of signal.

Taps are used to feed multiple locations, then continue down the line/trunk to feed other spots. The far away taps reduce the signal less than the ones closer to the source.

You can consult with the folks @ broadbandreports.com, in the TWC discussion forum to learn what signal levels are appropriate for their service at your location.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.