Computer Help

Question

6 cell vs 12 cell batteries

by wpgwpg / January 25, 2013 12:36 AM PST

I have a Toshiba Satellite L755 laptop, and I'm looking at replacement batteries for it. I see Toshiba has a 6 cell one for $130 and a 12 cell one for $150, both of which they say will work with my model. You can view these if you wish here: http://www.toshibadirect.com/td/b2c/findBatteries.jsp .
What are the advantages of the 12 cell? Does the computer run longer with it? Does it have a longer recharge cycle? I would hope the answer would be yes to both, but I've never had to buy a new laptop battery. I've seen cautions about buying batteries from other than the manufacturer, but what about the Micro Center store where I bought the laptop? $130 or $150 seems right expensive.
TIA

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 6 cell vs 12 cell batteries
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 6 cell vs 12 cell batteries
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
99 products match your selection
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 12:42 AM PST

Sorry but I can't compare them directly but here's the run down.

We can ignore cells and look at AmpHours for a clue for value and life span. Since most battery packs get about 300 cycles, your battery pack with more AmpHours lasts longer as we don't have as many charge/discharges cycles per year as a smaller battery.

The downside to more AmpHours is weight and cost. But if you plan on 2 more years with the laptop, the bigger battery is what I get.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks for the good info, looks like 12 cell is best
by wpgwpg / January 25, 2013 12:54 AM PST

I see the 6 cell battery has a 61 Wh rating vs the 12 cell has a 98 Wh one, so that would seem to mean the 12 cell one would last just over 1.5 times longer per charge. I gather from your comments that both 6 and 12 cell one have a 300 cycle life, right? I see it also weighs 1.3 lb vs .8 lb, so it's about 1/2 lb heavier. That's no big deal for me, but might be for some.

What about buying a battery from a creditable computer store. The local store where I bought this laptop has been in business there for over 24 years and is part of a national chain. Could I make a significant saving without much of a risk by buying from this store instead of Toshiba?
TIA

Collapse -
If price is the issue, go for price.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 25, 2013 1:01 AM PST

As you can imagine due to liability and more (google laptop battery fires) my answer is to get it from the laptop maker. If cost is the issue, get a 20 buck battery and don't expect much.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.