The CNET Lounge forum

General discussion

6.1 / 7.1 surround sound formats?

by sitonmethen / November 13, 2006 4:27 PM PST

I have a Toshiba SD-7990 DVD Player hooked to a Denon receiver capable of all the cool surround sound formats (6.1, 7.1, DTS-ES and others) via a digital optical cable. If I buy HD-DVD software, will it play back all those cool formats even though my DVD player is not HD? Will my Toshiba SD-7990 DVD Player even play HD-DVD?s? If it does play HD-DVD?s will it ?down convert? to a 5.1 sound format?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 6.1 / 7.1 surround sound formats?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 6.1 / 7.1 surround sound formats?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Re:
by bknowledge / November 17, 2006 1:46 AM PST

Your player can not play HD-DVD's anyway there is little chance Toshiba or any of their competion will make software to allow your player to play HD-DVD's because then they would not be able to sell their new $400-$500 HD players.

Collapse -
. . . do you recommend theToshiba SD-7990 as a dvd player?
by Yankee Slugger / November 23, 2006 12:44 PM PST

Hi, I got to this thread and your comments by searching for "Toshiba SD-7990 dvd player review" as I am considering getting this new unit to upconvert to 1080P and play, via the HDMI connector, my collection of standard DVDs on my new Samsung LN-S4095D LCD 1080P HDTV. I cannot find any reviews of this new unit, so would you please tell me how you rate it and if you recommend it?

As for your question reference playing next generation HD-DVD's on this unit, I think not because the laser is not blue, so it would not be able to read all the highly-compacted data on the new BluRay/HD DVD's.

Collapse -
Downconverting to 5.1 in relation to HD DVD formatted disks.
by jjvince / February 8, 2007 3:27 AM PST

I think there may be a misconception here. the 5.1/7.1/7.2 etc formates refer to the audio aspects of the recording only. It does NOT involve any specific VIDEO aspects. HD DVD refers to a High Definition Video broadcast that enables your TV to receive (if it is capable of doing so) video formats in the 720P 1080P (P=Progressive scan while the "i" extension refers to interlaced modes). Most home DVD's are encoded with 5.1 channel audio capability. To this date I have not run across any DVD's at say Blockbuster that support High Definition formatting for either the Blue Ray compression or the Toshiba High Def compression, so these discussions, although interesting may be putting the cart before the horse... let's actually see how they perform in real life situations, before judging which compression will win out overall. In reality it will be up to the movie distrubutors to determine which format they will encode their disks with, and allow greater accessability to that technology in the first place. Them's my 2 cents... Big John

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.