Computer Help forum

General discussion

54 mbps Netgear wireless router WGR614 v6

by PudgyOne / July 27, 2006 2:02 PM PDT

54 mbps Netgear wireless router WGR614 v6

I just got this with a Dell notebook purchase. I put in the CD to install the program. It tells me how to connect it, then I get a blank screen. I have instructions on how to sign in but don't know how to sign in to the router. The router is off by default and has to be activated. The paper says about

Use a computer connected to the router and sign in at http://www.routerlogin.net. I cannot connect when I am plugged into the router.

I am also using Verizon DSL with a Westell Model 6100.

Everything is good until I try to connect with the router inline.

Help

Rick

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 54 mbps Netgear wireless router WGR614 v6
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 54 mbps Netgear wireless router WGR614 v6
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try the IP address
by linkit / July 27, 2006 2:52 PM PDT
Collapse -
just to clarify
by linkit / July 27, 2006 3:13 PM PDT

When you say the router is off by default, do you mean that it is powered off? If so, make sure you have the network cable attached to one of the numbered ports and then power on the router before you attempt go the sign-in page.

Collapse -
Netgear told me
by PudgyOne / July 28, 2006 6:37 AM PDT
In reply to: just to clarify

Netgear told me that the Westell router and the router must be using the same number. Tech support told me to change the number. I changed the number to 192.168.2.1 from 192.168.1.1 when I clicked on apply it updated the settings and changed the number to 192.168.1.2 insteaqd of 192.168.12.1 Now all the lan numbers light up. have another submission to tech support. Will let you know what happens.

Thanks for trying

Rick

Collapse -
Just one comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 28, 2006 7:05 AM PDT

I had to uninstall the PPPoE software that came with the Westell to get this all to work.

Collapse -
Westell
by PudgyOne / July 28, 2006 9:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Just one comment.

Westell is my isp's modem. I bought the Netgear when I bought the notebook. I just ran Belarc Advisor and found this out.

Broadcom 440x 10/100 Integrated Controller
primary Auto IP Address: 192.168.1.2 / 24
Gateway: 192.168.1.1
Dhcp Server: 192.168.1.1
Physical Address: 00:14:XX:AE:XX:XX
Intel(R) PRO/Wireless 2915ABG Network Connection
Dhcp Server: none responded

Same address as the Netgear router. The problem is after their tech person told me to change the ip address number, I clicked on apply and the number came up as 192.168.1.2 instead of 192.168.2.1 and now all the lan lights are stuck on. Master reset does not work and it's just sitting there. No signal through the router, nothing. Just waiting to see the next step.

***I changed the physical address so it's not public***

Rick

Collapse -
Can't talk to Netgear Router
by kwkid / July 29, 2006 2:50 PM PDT
In reply to: Westell

We may be talking two different issues here, not really sure. Lets break it down and hopefully make it simpler to diagnose. For the moment, forget about the DSL modem. Completely disconnect it from the router. Now, lets reset the router to the default setting. On the back you will see a very small reset switch behind the metal grill, just below the antenna. With power on the router, press and hold the reset switch in until you see the power and other LED's click off (this takes about 15 to 20 seconds). This will restore the factory defaults. Once the router has cycled through the diagnostics, about 15 seconds, you should be able to talk to the router. Make sure you have the cable plugged in to the computer and one of the LAN ports, numbered 1 thru 4.

Open your browser window, Internet Explorer, FireFox, Opera, whatever you normally use. Wait for the "page not found" message to appear. Now, in the address bar type the following http://www.routerlogin.net and press enter. You should immediately get the login page, where the user name is admin and the password is password in lower case.

At this point you should be in the setup wizard. If you wish, you can type in the address bar http://192.168.0.1/basicsettings.htm which should take you directly to the first page in the router manual setup.

OK, if this all works to this point, you do not have a "router" issue, but a connectivity issue. Lets power down the router and modem and connect them up. Take the ethernet cable coming out of the modem and plug it into the WAN port of the router. Power up the modem, wait for it to completely initialize, then power up the router.

At this time, open your browser. If you get the page not found message, run the http://www.routerlogin.net again, log in with admin and password, and let the wizard run through and establish your connection. Once completed, you should be able to surf normally. If not, we can go thru the troubleshooting steps from there.

I am very confused as to why you needed to change the IP address. Was someone saying that the modem address and the router address were the same? I find this highly unlikely, though certainly not out of the realm of possiblities. More than likely, if things still aren't working, I would have two scenarios:

1.) You may be using the wrong cables, ie. a patch cable or,

2.) You need to bridge your modem.

I will wait to hear back from you as to how we should proceed. Good Luck!!!

Collapse -
No, and I can't reset it
by PudgyOne / July 30, 2006 7:39 AM PDT

No, the Notebook cannot talk to the Netgear router. I also cannot reset it to Factory.

I tried the reset button in the back. I get a power light and all 4 Lan lights light up and no connection.

I did a submission with Netgear.

My name is Rashish & I will be handling your enquiry.

I appreciate the opportunity to assist you. In regards to your concern, Please follow the steps to configure the router. It seems like that your modem and the Netgear router both are working on the same ip address. So in this case we need to change the ip address of our Netgear router. Please follow the steps to change the ip address of the Netgear router.

1. Connect the modem into the internet/wan port of the router. (The port that is closest to the antenna.)
2. Connect your computer into any of the lan ports on the router.
3. Plug the power cable into the router.
4. You should see 3 lights on the router (power, internet and lan connection).
5. Now, take out the power cable from the router and from the modem also. And plug the power back to the router, just to the router.
6. You should see 2 lights on the router (power and lan connection).
7. Open Internet explorer and in the address box type http://192.168.1.1/basicsetting.htm and hit enter.
8. This will take you to the basic settings page of the router.
9. Click on apply button on the bottom.
10. Login to the router (User Name = admin Password = password unless you have changed it).
11. Click on ?LAN IP SETUP? on the left hand side.
12. Change the lan ip address or local ip address to 192.168.2.1 and click on apply.
13. This will give you page cannot be displayed.
14. Now, connect take out the power cable form the router.
15. Plug the power cable to the modem and wait for the modem to come up properly, and when the modem is up then plug the power cable to the router.
16. Go back to the computer and try to access the Internet.

When I got to number 12, I changed the number from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 and when I clicked apply I noticed when it was updating settings it changed it to 192.168.1.2

This is where I am with the problem. I get power, no test, no reset and all 4 Lan lights lit without a connection.

I also rean Belarc Advisor and foung otu that the Westell 6100 Modem for Verizon DSL using the same ip address of 192.168.1.1

Still puzzled.

Rick

Collapse -
AHA!!! The Westell 6100 is a router...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2006 7:50 AM PDT
Collapse -
That would be ok but...
by PudgyOne / July 30, 2006 8:02 AM PDT

That would be ok but...

I now have a power light and 4 Lit Lan lights with no connection and no reset and/or connection. It's basically dead.

Rick

Collapse -
Last idea then this link.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2006 8:16 AM PDT

1. Make sure you have the right power supply in the router.

2. No go? Then listen to http://wtv-zone.com/caseman/halo/midi/funeralmarch.mid

Bob

Collapse -
Netgear comm problems
by kwkid / July 30, 2006 4:30 PM PDT

I agree that the Westhell needs to be configured as a modem, however that doesn't help with the router issue. I am perplexed as to why it won't reset to factory defaults. I tried this with my Netgear router earlier and it took almost forty seconds of holding the reset button before it reset, but it did a complete reset as all my settings were gone including the password, so I am confident this is the correct procedure. According to the manual, there is also one other way to reset, but it requires either two people or the router to be braced somehow for one person to do it. Here are the steps:

1.) Disconnect all cables from router, including power.
2.) Wait at least one minute.
3.) Push reset button in and hold it in.
4.) While holding reset button in, plug in the power. (This is why it takes two people, it is very difficult to hold in the reset button while at the same time trying to plug in the power connection.)
5.) Hold and wait for the router to completely initialize, approx. 40-50 seconds on my router.

After setting a password, I tried this method on my router. It also completely reset the router.

I would contact the ISP who gave you the modem and ask their tech support how to bridge the modem, to make it an actual modem and not a router.

Best Regards.....

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) It still did NOT reset the router
by PudgyOne / July 31, 2006 1:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Netgear comm problems
Collapse -
Router Locked Out
by kwkid / July 31, 2006 4:32 AM PDT

PudgyOne, well as much as I hate to say this, unless Netgear has some options that I am unaware of, I am thinking that the router is either permanently damaged or bad. At this point I would see about exchanging it and starting over. I'm really sorry I couldn't resolve this for you, but without being able to establish communication with the router or being able to reset it, I have no clue as to how to proceed. Again, sorry for your problem and let us know how you finally reach a resolution.

Collapse -
I just spent
by PudgyOne / July 31, 2006 7:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Router Locked Out

I just spent the last two hours on the phone. I called Netgear Support @ 1-888-638-4327. They walked me through the reset process using 10 second intervals of on, off, back on to no avail. They said it is a faulty router and needs replaced. They gave me a case number.

I called Dell, where I purchased the router. The Tech guy was on the phone, using a remote to try things to no avail. He then called Netgaer support and stayed on the line. The person at Netgear tried to reset it also to no avail. He said he was sorry but it seems to be non-functional. He gave the Dell Support person the same case number I had earlier. I was then promised a new router. I was also provided with the Netgear Support number 1-866-237-0073. I was told that since my internet provider, Verison DSL, their Westell 6100, combination router Modem, uses the ip of 192.168.1.1 to call them to have the new router configured to have an ip of 192/168.2.1 or 192.168.3.1.

So now I wait.

Thanks to everyone for their help and support. I hope everyone remembers this if needed to tell someone else using a Westell 6100 Router Modem using Verizon DSL and a Netgear Router, mine was a Netgear WGR614 v6

Thanks again and Bob thanks for the music.

Rick

Collapse -
Westell Modem
by kwkid / July 31, 2006 12:00 PM PDT
In reply to: I just spent

Rick, while you are waiting for the new router, you may want to contact your ISP and get the directions to reconfigure your modem. That way, when the new router shows up, you will already have everything you need to get up and running with a minimum of hassle and wait time. Just a suggestion. Good Luck and certainly if you have any questions, please feel free to post here as I am tracking this discussion.

Collapse -
Modem IP address.
by CuTop / August 4, 2006 8:03 AM PDT

Was someone saying that the modem address and the router address were the same? I find this highly unlikely, though certainly not out of the realm of possiblities.

It is out of the realm of possibilities because Modems do NOT have and IP address nor a MAC address.

Collapse -
Router and Modem with same address
by kwkid / August 4, 2006 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Modem IP address.

You are absolutely correct, normally it isn't an issue. But, the particular modem, a Westell modem, was one of the few made several years ago, that could also act as a router, so it did have an IP address and coincidently, the address was 192.168.0.1, which is the default for quite a few routers on the market. I also have run into this modem in my travels as BellSouth's DSL used this modem for some time and this caused many headaches for people trying to upgrade to a network. The only thing I have seen that was worse than this was a modem called a StingRay, because that is what it resembled. It actually worked off a USB port and was impossible, at the time, to network. Fortunately, the ISP would exchange it for a "normal" modem if you called and told them you didn't have any USB ports available. It is difficult to fathom some of the decisions that these companies make, that eventually just cause headaches, time, frustration, and money for their users, but thank goodness for sites like CNET to come to the rescue.

Collapse -
Netgear sucks
by Kallimero / September 5, 2006 5:39 AM PDT

Hi,

I have problem with WGR614 router from Netgear.
It doesn't work at all. Just the power, test, internet and LAN LEDs are on.

Also, I can't login using

http://www.routerlogin.net and
http://192.168.0.1/basicsettings.htm either.

Netgear seems to be aware of it:
http://kbserver.netgear.com/inquira/default.asp?ui_mode=answer&prior_transaction_id=198951&action_code=5&highlight_info=16778233,36,62&turl=http%3A%2F%2Fkbserver.netgear.com%2Fkb_web_files%2Fn101619.asp&answer_id=63929547#__highlight

I can't even reset the router to factory default setting :-(. Has anybody experienced same problems?

Has the router deffinitely died?

Thanks for reading

Kallimero

Collapse -
First of all
by PudgyOne / September 5, 2006 7:05 PM PDT
In reply to: Netgear sucks

Is the router new?

If so, did you register it?

If you registered it, did you try ntheir tech support for help?

I had a router that had a defect in it. It would not reset to the factory defaults. They walked me through the process. They confirmed that it was defective and told me to send it back. Time spent with then was less than 20 minutes. I bought the router @ Dell so guess what, I had to call Dell tech support and then they had to call Netgear tech support and get the same confirmation. Spent more time on the phone with Dell than I did with Netgear. I now have the new router and Netgear Tech Support walked me through the process and I have no troubles.

Hope this helps.

Rick

Collapse -
No warranty
by Kallimero / September 6, 2006 7:10 AM PDT
In reply to: First of all

Hi,

unfortunately the router doesn't have warranty anymore. I bought it as used one on ebay in UK.

It has been working for 3 months without any big troubles.

I would like to buy another Netgear again on ebay but now refurbished one with 1 year warranty. But I'm not sure if Netgear accept warranty claim when the "can't login error" appears again.

Cheers Kallimero

Collapse -
Try login using
by PudgyOne / September 6, 2006 9:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Netgear sucks
http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm

Then it should prompt you for the password. If you cannot access it using your wireless connection, which I doubt, try hooking up an ethernet cable from your computer to one of the lan ports of the router. You should be able to log in.

Before I'd buy a rebuilt or refurbished router, I'd consider buying a new one. The price is around $50-60 American Dollars and you have a warranty and tech support. You can't go wrong. I don't care what brand of router you use, new would be the way to go. You don't know what problems the other people had with it.

Hope this helps.

Rick
Collapse -
I hope to be getting the Netgar router soon.
by PudgyOne / August 2, 2006 2:55 PM PDT

I hope to be getting the Netgar router soon. I have to change the ip on it from 192.168.1.1 to 192.168.2.1 or 192.168.3.1

I want to make this secure that only my Notebook and my desktop can access this. I do NOT want anyone from the outside to be able to access this router.

Since I'm new at wireless routers, what do I need to do to make this Netgear router secure?

I would also like to have the option of allowing a friend or two, that are visiting the house, to be able to access this using a password. Is this possible?

Thanks for your help

Rick

Collapse -
Router Security
by kwkid / August 2, 2006 4:11 PM PDT

Rick, absolutely, this is quite easy once we get everything setup and running. There are a number of things you can do to secure the router, of which the easiest is setting up a WPA PSK key. You can even go further and define only certain MAC addresses who have the WPA PSK key if you want that level of protection. But lets get up and running before we tackle these issues.

Collapse -
It took an hour
by PudgyOne / August 3, 2006 8:30 AM PDT
In reply to: Router Security

It took an hour and a ahlf to getn the router setup. It is now working but not secure.

What I want to do now is to secure it so that no one can get on it. I want the option so if you come over to my house with your notebook, you can access it using a password.

Does this make sence?

I want to have things setup so if a friend is here the can access it with a password. I also want to have it so that no one else can get on.

Thanks

Rick

Collapse -
I am ready for the security part of this
by PudgyOne / August 3, 2006 11:14 AM PDT

I am ready for the security part of this. I have the wireless router up and running, ip change to 192.168.7.1 and I now have a range of 192.168.7.2 - 192.168.7.51

I have the wireless printer adapter working also.

For security what do I need to change?

I want to setup the security so you need a password to access it. Do NOT want anyone from the outside to be able to access it. If you come over to the house, I want to give you the password to access it.

What do I need to do?

Thanks

Rick

Collapse -
Router Security
by kwkid / August 3, 2006 12:52 PM PDT

Hello Rick, Glad to hear you got up and running finally. So lets get started on your security question. First, understand that this isn't a ''simple'' subject. There are numerous security steps you can take, even to the point of layering them. That being said, the easiest step is to implement WPA PSK which is a wireless passkey that the router will require before it allows someone to ''connect'' to your network. So lets start there and if you wish more robustness/security, we can address that after this step.

Step one: open the router login page with

http://192.168.1.1/basicsetting.htm

You may need a different IP address such as 192.168.0.2 as you had a conflict with the modem.

Step two: Select the Set Password tag on the left side of your screen. This will take you to the password page. Put in the old password and then enter a new password in the New and confirm password fields and click apply. You will then be required to log back in with the name and new password.

Step three: Once you are logged back in with the new password, click on Wireless Settings at the top left side of the screen, just below the Basic Settings. This will take you to the wireless setup page where you will see quite a few settings. The first thing to do is to change the name SSID field to something other than Netgear. You can call your network anything you like, but just keep it simple, like your dog's name, your daughters middle name, whatever, it isn't critical.

Under Security Options you have three options, you want the one labeled WPA-PSK, check it and the information below will no longer be greyed out. Now here is the critical part, you need to generate a pass phrase that is between 56 - 63 characters long, that YOU can easily duplicate, but that no one else could guess. Here is what I did - I took my favorite book and randomly opened to a page in the middle. I then took a paragraph that was between 56 - 63 letters long, and this is what I used. I then wrote down the page number and the paragraph number that I used. You will see that note on my desk, but unless you know what book it came out of, you have almost no chance to figure it out. But YOU MUST have access to this phrase as this is what your friends must have to log in to your computer, but they will only need it one time, the first time. So enter the phrase you choose, remember, the longer the better the security. I use a 60 minute timeout, but you can make this shorter or longer. This timeout just serves as a refresh for the network and to release resources. Once you have the information entered, press Apply. At this point, your wireless computers will no longer be able to connect, until you have done Step four.

Step four: You now need to go to each wireless computer, I have five here at the house, and establish their connections. I use the windows wireless connection, but you may be using the devices own software. I use windows wireless because out of the five wireless cards I have, they are of three different brands and I just don't want to deal with that many different software packages. Windows wireless works fine and is the same on all of my XP computers. The basic steps are to look for your network first, it should show up with the name you gave it earlier, but if not, do a refresh or new scan. Once you see the correct name, you should highlight it and press the connect button. If the software is like windows wireless, it should say that this network is pass phrase protected and allow you to enter the pass phrase. In almost all cases, you will be required to enter it twice, so, go slow, type carefully, and once you have entered the phrase press OK. Assuming you typed everything correctly, you should connect and everything should work. Try opening an internet page. At this point, no one can enter your wireless network without this pass phrase, but you only need to enter the phrase one time for each computer. Thereafter, windows will hold the phrase, in encrypted form, so that everytime you boot, it will automatically connect to the network.

If you feel you need even more security, please let me know and I can guide you through the further settings available within your netgear router. Good Luck, I'm glad you finally got up and running. And, if you have any questions or problems with these instructions, please let me know.

Best Regards,

Collapse -
I had to use
by PudgyOne / August 3, 2006 1:45 PM PDT

I had to use

http://www.routerlogin.com/basicsetting.htm

I have the security up and running but...

I now cannot connect to my wireless printer. Ouch.

I bought a Dell Wireless 3300 and it worked before I changed the security settings.

Help

Rick

Collapse -
Wireless Printer
by kwkid / August 3, 2006 4:17 PM PDT
In reply to: I had to use

Rick,

I wish you had mentioned this earlier, or maybe you did and I just missed it. I am not familiar with that printer/wireless setup, but if it works the way I think it does, we should be able to get it setup also. The key questions I have are:

What IP address does this device use to communicate? Did it come with some documentation that may give us a clue if you don't know? Also, if possible, do you know what the MAC address is?

I'm curious as to why you invested in a wireless printer, when you could easily hook up the printer to any PC and just print over the network. The only reason I could think of is that you didn't want to have one PC on all the time just for printing, but that is just a guess. I currently have three printers, a laser on my daughter's PC, an inkjet on my wife's PC, and a multifunction printer on my PC. Any computer can print to any printer in the house and it allows us plenty of flexibility. For a quick b/w print job, we send the job to the laser. When color is required, we use my wife's inkjet or mine if she happens to be out of ink (which happens more often than I like). We can also use my multifunction to scan a document and just send it to the computer that needs it via the network. Sorry to be so long, but just trying to give you some new ideas to think about as you "grow" your network.

While you are thinking about things, I will do some investigating and try and figure out the easiest way to get your printer back online.

Collapse -
Printer Configuration
by kwkid / August 3, 2006 4:39 PM PDT
In reply to: Wireless Printer

Rick,

I think I found the answer. I have posted a link below that should tell us how to set up the printer with security. Basically, to make it short and sweet, you just need to reinstall the software and during setup tell it that you DO have security. At this point, I am assuming, since I don't have the software to use or reference, it should ask you what security you have and allow you to enter the pass phrase. Once that is complete and the software finishes, you should be able to print. One quick note, it may be possible to reconfigure the printer instead of reinstalling. Since I haven't used this software before, I just don't know. But I would bet my next paycheck that there is a way to do it. I would tell you to call Dell and ask them, but I suspect that trying to make somebody from India understand what you are trying to do would be almost impossible. Anyway, give the link a click and see if this sounds reasonable and let me know. I'm in unchartered waters here and hopefully you can provide me with some key learning points for future reference.

http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?docid=EB4F19F845C63F8FE030030ABD6231E3&c=us&l=en&s=gen

Collapse -
You've been a big help.
by PudgyOne / August 3, 2006 7:26 PM PDT
In reply to: Printer Configuration

You've been a big help in getting this solved and secure. I will tell you what I did.

First, I changed the name of the router. The printer's wireless had the old name. I tried to install it to the new name without security. That did not work. I finally installed the new router name and told it it was a secure network. It asked me for the network key. That had me puzzled for a while. I went looking for the network to no avail. I then left it blank and clicked on it. It told me that the network key was like a password with all those characters. I figured that they wanted the network password. That did it. Everything started working perfectly. I now have a secure router(even though the public can see it)and I can have my friends on it when they come over. They can even print things.

Thanks again for all your help.

Rick

And by the way, I bought this wireless printer because I have a notebook and the daughter will be getting one also. We will be getting rid of the old dinosaur desktop. Makes it convient for everone.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.