Networking & Wireless forum

General discussion

500 meters wifi Network

by error179 / September 27, 2009 6:12 PM PDT

Guys, I am desperate for your advice. here is my situation.

I don't have any kind of internet facility where i live (a remote village in pakistan) I need to travel around 10Km to use the nearest internet facility. I have been able to locate a DSL connection around 500 meters from my home. But i cant physically route it to where I live (there is a small canal in between).

So i was thinking If i can use the wifi network, use two D-link DWL-2100AP access points one at the source and an other at my place, both placed outdoors (i think line of sight is clear)

One more thing, the only wifi equipment that I can purchase is from this site : http://www.beliscity.com/networking_wireless_networking/c10_1621/index.html?osCsid=c92f1fc3f1e32ccd850db734dc519fc2

Please help this poor fellow, who has been denied the necessities of a modern life.!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 500 meters wifi Network
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 500 meters wifi Network
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
You are asking for over 10 times the normal wifi range.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2009 9:56 PM PDT

Since you are so far beyond the normal 33 meter range of wifi this means you are a gambler or a wisher. I can't tell which.

However you could craft something the jumps the canal but reliability is another issue. It won't be reliable so I decline to tell you much more than this.

Here in the US we get a broadband card for such locations.
Bob

Collapse -
How about N-type Routers and Access Points??
by error179 / September 27, 2009 10:20 PM PDT

I've been staring at this forum for hours and hours, thanks for the reply and off course an honest opinion, Bob.

Actually in all the specifications of these wireless routers/ access points the outdoor range mentioned is 400 meters, I think, i can place an access point in between (around 250 to 300meters down the road) and hope it'll work. All i need is for someone to help me pick the right hardware from the website mentioned. Also I've been thinking of using the N-type routers/ access points, heard that they have a longer range and a stronger signal.

And where DSL is rare, broadband cards are out of the question.!

thnx anyways... but i m still looking for someone who can probe in...

Collapse -
So try it.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2009 10:38 PM PDT

The brutal truth is that many discover that range is under the best of conditions with no other signals. That is, not reality. Here I constantly disable 802.11n in favor of old 802.11g in the router to cure connection issues. Are you actually using these things or are fishing for information? My information is from setting up hundreds of these systems and why I don't predict a happy system.

So you say broadband cards are our of the question. This means there is no cell phone service?
Bob

Collapse -
External Antenas
by error179 / September 27, 2009 10:51 PM PDT
In reply to: So try it.

Till now i haven't bought anything.. just looking for the right equipment. The range that you have mentioned (33meters) is for indoor usage as per Datasheet of the D-link Access point.

No we have cell phone service available but there is no 3g or edge connection, only GPRS service is available and that is very slow.

I really dont understand that the manufacturer's datasheet suggests a connection within 400meters radius then why is it not possible. I have high hopes ... for the success of N-type routers/ access points.

I am not being judgemental or anything just being optimistic... may be there is some way i can increase the power... u know.. using external antenas...etc.

Collapse -
Then do that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2009 10:56 PM PDT
In reply to: External Antenas

What you need to know is that no one supports or will tell you this will work. If you want to try then you must try. If you want assurance there fine companies that sell you ready to setup links that go a mile, many miles and they are all good. You are trying to use what is cheap and available but might be asking for assurances that no maker will give you. I certainly can't since I've seen people try 100 meter links and complain about them. You are at many times that distance.
Bob

Collapse -
"datasheet suggests a connection within 400meters radius
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 27, 2009 11:00 PM PDT
In reply to: External Antenas

"datasheet suggests a connection within 400meters radius then why is it not possible."

I answered that but it appears it needs repeating. Those distances are under ideal or laboratory conditions. What more can be written here? That as you add that big antenna you not only increase the signal of your other system but increase the noise. Many can't wrap their head around that.

Until you get some systems up and running you may forever be asking for an assured solution. We can find those but they run a few bucks.
Bob

Collapse -
The beginning
by error179 / September 27, 2009 11:23 PM PDT

Even when comparing ideal conditions with the real ones i cant comprehend that there would be a fall of more than 50% in effective radius.

But you have experience to back on and as you said i would have to set-up a system before making further arguments.

Just one more favor... at least give me some idea for a system to start with.!

Collapse -
Try 10%
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 28, 2009 12:52 AM PDT
In reply to: The beginning

I am now using 10% of the longest distance they specify. Beyond that we must test the setup.

You can find the ONE MILE WIFI discussions at http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&source=hp&q=one+mile+wifi

This is why I never duplicate all that here. I have to ask if it's a wisher, gambler or someone that needs assurance that it will work. Then we can proceed.

It appears that you want ASSURED SOLUTIONS. This means we won't use off the shelf gear.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.