Speakeasy forum

500 hurt by meteor in Russia. Dang!

by Josh K / February 14, 2013 9:24 PM PST

MOSCOW -- The Russian Academy of Sciences is estimating the meteor that streaked into the skies over the Ural Mountains and caused shock waves that injured more than 400 people weighed about 10 tons (11 tons avoirdupois).

The academy said in a statement hours after the Friday morning fall that the meteor entered the Earth's atmosphere at a speed of at least 54,000 kph (33,000 mph) and shattered about 30-50 kilometers (18-32 miles) above ground.

The fall caused explosions that broke glass over a wide area. The Emergency Ministry says more than 500 people sought treatment after the blasts and that 34 of them were hospitalized.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 500 hurt by meteor in Russia. Dang!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 500 hurt by meteor in Russia. Dang!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Tanguska Revisited, Almost.
by James Denison / February 14, 2013 10:52 PM PST
Collapse -
The total injured
by TONI H / February 15, 2013 7:11 AM PST

has been upped to 1100+ now........and according to news reports, the meteor was the size of an SUV...that would make the weight considerable lighter than the RAS estimates. I wonder if the climate control crazies will issue warnings that this was 'human fault' again.......

I personally think this was God 'resetting' Russia.

Collapse -
RE: God 'resetting' Russia.
by JP Bill / February 15, 2013 12:20 PM PST
In reply to: The total injured

Virginia humour, right?

Collapse -
Don't know if you heard this today but the NRA's Wayne
by Ziks511 / February 15, 2013 2:55 PM PST

Lapierre apparently recommended stocking up on weapons and ammo for the coming weather crisis of Global Warming causing widespread catastrophe in the US in the coming years. The guy will do anything to sell guns. I don't have a link yet, but I'll try to get one.

Collapse -
(NT) Don't we already face that?
by James Denison / February 16, 2013 1:26 AM PST
In reply to: Here it is
Collapse -
I don't see anything in the article that indicates
by TONI H / February 15, 2013 8:58 PM PST

LaPierre is blaming "the coming weather crisis of Global Warming" as a reason. Rather, I see him supporting the people who just went thru Sandy and had to stay in their homes, even if they were without heat and electricity, to stop the looters from taking whatever might have been left. There's a big difference between 'doomsday preppers' (which is what you are inferring he's aiming at .. pardon the pun) who are preparing for anything and will shoot neighbors who try to enter their bunker (like the old atom bomb backyard bunker types) and take their food and water supplies and devastated homeowners who are trying to salvage what's left of their lives while waiting on the Feds who still haven't shown up to help much. But that's a whole new topic.

Collapse -
(NT) Then you're an idiot.
by JP Bill / February 15, 2013 8:59 PM PST
Collapse -
Clarify please
by TONI H / February 16, 2013 1:48 AM PST
In reply to: Then you're an idiot.

Only a real idiot would read into that article that he's supporting guns because of global warming....unless the article is written in invisible ink that only idiots can see. Please point out to me the exact wording that indicates that's what he's doing.

Collapse -
(NT) Ah ... The old SE lives. :-(
by drpruner / February 19, 2013 6:05 AM PST
In reply to: Then you're an idiot.
Collapse -
First Amendment?
by JP Bill / February 19, 2013 6:10 AM PST

Have I got that right?

Do unto others, As they would do unto you...AFTER they do it first?

Collapse -
Chilling thought, Toni...
by J. Vega / February 15, 2013 11:01 PM PST

For a chilling thought, imagine it had happened back during the '70's/60's "Cold War" days when both sides were sitting on "The Button". What makes it especially chilling is that that town was a major site for dealing with the ultimate weapon. Imagine everybody sitting on their retaliate button, and suddenly the flash/bang/etc. hits over a target that was sure to make the top 10 of targets. Hopefully, no one would have acted without full investigation.

Collapse -
Oh goodie
by Josh K / February 18, 2013 10:04 PM PST

Now you and James can commiserate, since he thought the tsunami that killed 250,000 people in Indonesia was God "resetting" them.

Have you called Pat Robertson yet? He's probably thinking the same thing too.

Collapse -
just in case, let me ask ahead of time
by James Denison / February 19, 2013 12:49 AM PST
In reply to: Oh goodie

What should we say when the tsunami wipes out New York City? Will "uh-oh!" suffice?

Collapse -
There is also the story going around
by TONI H / February 15, 2013 9:00 PM PST
In reply to: Those Russians.

by a Russian conspiracy theorist (I believe he is a professor at some whacked school that must have been really desperate for a teacher) that there was no meteor......it was actually the US testing their firepower.

Collapse -
LOL! to that last one.
by drpruner / February 19, 2013 6:08 AM PST
In reply to: Those Russians.

As to the first, I'm told that any bus accident in NYC draws pedestrians who get inside and begin moaning.
General comment, which I may have made before. Katrina left Bourbon aka Sin Street untouched.

Collapse -
Some sonic boom !!
by Ziks511 / February 15, 2013 2:50 PM PST

I've heard the size estimated as between the size of a bus and half a football field, which is a pretty large discrepancy. A piece about the size of an SUV went into a Russian lake, and I'm sure they'll recover it in the spring. The hole in the ice looked to be 12 feet or more in diameter.

It still won't equal the Iron/Nickel meteorite from Greenland which is displayed at the Smithsonian. It was one of my favourite museum exhibits as a geeky kid.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Coming soon

Get behind the wheel with Roadshow

Love cars? Climb into the driver's seat for the latest videos, reviews, shopping advice and picks by our editors delivered to your inbox every week.