Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Tablets

Question

$500 Convertible/Hybrid Tablet suggestions

by ron_il / November 5, 2012 5:38 AM PST

Hi,

I'm looking to buy a tablet with a keyboard for mostly educational needs. As a 2nd year student, I'd like to find a good replacement for writing on notebooks in class. My budget is around $500, keeping the value for money guideline.

I will also use it for web surfing, pdf viewing and office documents editing. Excel editor which support function editing is preffered, as also moderate use of Google SketchUp, Pure Data and MATLAB, although I'm not sure whether those apps are supported on tablets OS.

Android-based or Windows 7/8 based devices which support desktop windows apps is preffered.

These are my main needs:

# A comfortable device to write on using a pen (especially math and somewhat sketch)
# A dedicated keyboard (hidden or detachable) which is physically durable for a normal use
# About 10" display
# Battery time of at least 7 hours without using a Wi-fi
# Any back camera and a microphone is preffered, 3G is preffered but much less important

I'm from Israel buy my parents are in California on the next week. Therefore, recommended stores or even good deals on SF or LA will be appreciated.

I would be grateful for your help!

Thank you,
Ron

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: $500 Convertible/Hybrid Tablet suggestions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: $500 Convertible/Hybrid Tablet suggestions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Let's skip the dollars for a moment and ask
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 5:51 AM PST

Did you find ANY tablet that did this?

I'm finding folk try Android and other tablets but they are thinking it's some Windows laptop that runs those apps. Nothing could be farther from the truth.

I see you question if said apps are on these devices and so far, the answer is no. Can you share any tablet that does this at any price today?
Bob

Collapse -
Hi, Thanks for your reply,
by ron_il / November 5, 2012 6:56 AM PST

I mentioned those apps without knowing for sure they run on any tablet, and only as a preference. Not a deal breaker for me, but any of those apps could be a benefit, depends on the price difference between those that handle it well and those who don't.

BTW, aren't desktop windows apps compatible with Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro tablets? I believe those are not in the budget I have stated, but if that's correct, I'd love to know what devices could handle those apps in a manner.

Here are the convertibles I found that are most close to my budget:
Acer Iconia Tab W510 (Win 8, Intel Atom, $500)
Asus VivoTab Smart (Win 8, Intel Atom, $500)
Lenovo IdeaTab Lynx (Win 8, Intel Atom, $600)
Lenovo ThinkPad Tablet 2 (Win 8, Intel Atom, $650)
Samsung ATIV Smart PC (Win 8, Intel Atom, $650)

Collapse -
Odd list. "Netbooks"
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 7:10 AM PST

Frankly the performance is so bad on those that I find it hard to believe you could consider them. Is the attraction so strong to a tablet that you are ready to sacrifice your days to waiting for those apps you listed to do anything?

In other words, I'm being kind here and not slagging these that hard. It's really worse than I wrote.

-> I'd like to see why you are attracted to such a low performance high cost thing.
Bob

Collapse -
May I ask your suggestions?
by ron_il / November 5, 2012 7:47 AM PST
In reply to: Odd list. "Netbooks"

Are there any Android devices that you would recommend for the needs I listed (or most of them)?

Collapse -
- Please include any device you believe to be useful for me,
by ron_il / November 5, 2012 8:12 AM PST
In reply to: Odd list. "Netbooks"

even if I have used the wrong terms to describe it.
If those apps are not really an option on any device under $800 or more, let's pretend I've never mentioned it.
I'm not a fan of any tablet/ultrabook as I have never had one before.

Thanks!

Collapse -
If we move back to a laptop it gets better.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 5, 2012 1:03 PM PST

Just today I was admiring this Samsung. It's really nice.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0083S3MT2/

It starts in 20 seconds and is a great size for students. It's currently 799.

Since you didn't share what the tablet offered and there's too much downside for the apps given, back to laptops I fear.

And before someone tries to sell you on the Transformer you may want to take note about Moto's exit from the Motorola Droid Bionic Lapdock. Can't find the link but while interesting I know of no users of this or the Transformer.

Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.