Samsung forum

Rant

50" Plasma Horizontal Line, Cheaper to buy new than fix.

by Colt324 / January 4, 2013 4:20 AM PST

Recently our 50" Samsung Plasma Television has developed a one-pixel tall thin black horizontal line across the entire width of the display. Only being just over two years old, it is sad that this would happen. I had contacted Samsung support over a live chat session, and was told to call my local Samsung Authorized Repair Center. When I called, I was told that the problem was almost surely the panel in the television, and that it would cost around $800 to fix. The person at the Repair Center basically stated that it isn't worth it to repair the television, and you are better off to buy a brand new one.
A few days later, I called Samsung Canada, spoke to a CSR, then asked to be transferred to Executive Customer Relations. The ECR Representative basically stated that it wasn't possible to help out on the cost of the repair at all, and might have been able to if it was only a few months out of warranty.
I would be extremely willing to pay for labour costs to repair the television, but spending as much on parts as a new television will cost will obviously leave me with only one option. Buy a new Plasma. That Plasma won't have the Samsung name on it, and I will be sure to share this story with anybody I know who is interested in buying a new television.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 50" Plasma Horizontal Line, Cheaper to buy new than fix.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 50" Plasma Horizontal Line, Cheaper to buy new than fix.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Other makers, similar happenings.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 4:30 AM PST

I'm sure you know that out of warranty laptop and other gear is often more than a new device. Even I opted for a 5 year warranty on our last set.

Laptops have dropped so low in cost that I didn't extend the warranty.
Bob

Collapse -
Understood.
by Colt324 / January 4, 2013 4:42 AM PST

I understand that it is usually cheaper to replace than repair, but a Samsung Authorized Repair Center specifically told me that. It's sad that a repair center is telling customers to get a new set. I would gladly pay for labor on the set if Samsung paid for parts.

Collapse -
I think they get +1 for honesty.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 4, 2013 5:01 AM PST
In reply to: Understood.

There's another system that I wish they could try such as refurb exchanges. But if you've been in the repair biz (I owned PC repair shops long ago) some folk are picky about what they get on the exchange. I might call the machine exchange a good deal if the replacement is very similar to the original. I know about such where the owner got a better set but it had one less HDMI port and they were in flames about that even though it was a much better set.

Maybe that turned the maker off the exchange system.

This issue looks like it's not going to get better as you read
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/cracking-open/five-things-you-should-know-before-trying-to-fix-a-smartphone-or-tablet/617

After running shops for years I went back to product design and we were always wrestling with exchanging repair-ability versus product cost. To make something repairable may add connectors, cables, screws and more FRUs. In a few recent designs, due to cost reduction demands we had to throw out repair and move to a single board with just the bare connections and no user or field replaceable parts. If it's dead you swap the one lone board and move on. Since labor to do that is more than the case, you just replace the box and board.

You can imagine one client didn't like that so we replace the board, save the box and charge them more for the repair. Youch!
Bob

Collapse -
I don't even need a repair done for free
by Colt324 / January 14, 2013 9:06 AM PST

I would even buy a new Samsung if they gave 33% off a new set, but they refuse to give me any compensation whatsoever, and just say that it is what it is. They won't admit that it is their fault in manufacturing, and as such I won't buy another Samsung set again (I'm thinking no Samsung products at all actually).

Collapse -
This story is not maker specific.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 14, 2013 9:11 AM PST

Most of the products you see in displays are not serviceable. Sure there's a big board or two but if the panel goes, that item out of warranty means the end of that device.

Do you remember the early days of Color TV? When the makers had issues with few year CRTs? This is history repeating itself. I was hoping for a gov watchdog to notice that current 5 year designs that are on the shelf but as it stands it appears that this government is not for the people.
Bob (on soap box)

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.