Headphones & Mp3 Players

Question

5" Polaroid Touch Screen?

by 1TimDillon / June 12, 2011 2:21 PM PDT

Has anyone heard of this? It's at Big Lots this week so it's probably junk but then again... They really skimp on the details. I stopped by the store and it said Polaroid PMP 500-4 on the box. The add says:

Polaroid

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 5" Polaroid Touch Screen?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 5" Polaroid Touch Screen?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Found the manual
by baensidhe / June 13, 2011 12:36 AM PDT

Here's the link to the manual:
www.southerntelecom.com/polariodsupport/downloads/PMP500.pdf

The e-reader is just .txt and .lrc files - video is up to 720p

Collapse -
Answer
Testing
by NivekJS78 / June 15, 2011 9:41 PM PDT

I picked one up for my son. Very little documentation on the device other than operations. Still testing a variety of files. So far, only one MKV file did not play (I've had problems with that file before). Additionally, MP4 (sd and hd), AVI (DiviX), RMVB, and other mkv mixes work with no problem. The screen is bright, but not much for blacks and is no worse than my son's portable dvd player. My guess is this is a 400 x 800 screen. Volume is loud for it's size. With headphones plugged in I get no electronic feed back (unlike my unruley Gateway laptop). The resistive touch screen is pretty lousy but workable. It has some nice heft and balance to it, but not so much it gets anoying. My Droid X Quickly gets tiring in my hand due to the lopsided weight of the camera. Oh, it has a clip-on stand, too! It states only 8gb cards but I had no problem with my 16gb card. It even has 4gb internal, though it's not advertised. It states that it can do 720p but I'll try 1080p later. It has video out, though it doesn't specify what kind and no cables provided. I've got a few so I'll try later. Overall, I think this is a great 1st player for my son. I think I'll keep it.

Collapse -
BTW
by NivekJS78 / June 15, 2011 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: Testing

Oh and to answer your question, no FM. I still need to test the e-reader as well.

Collapse -
More Answers
by NivekJS78 / June 15, 2011 10:46 PM PDT
In reply to: BTW

You'll probably not find anything under $100 for all those features. Check with Chinese pmp companies or sites like mp4nation.net.

Collapse -
Answer
Polaroid 5" Touch screen PDA
by coolmark82 / June 17, 2011 2:01 PM PDT

It's worthwhile for it's money, and actually surprises me in some ways. In the "Desktop" where you change to 3 different backgrounds, I thought it was lame, but then I loaded up a nice space background and changed my wallpaper. It works well with my 32GB MicroSD card, has 4gigs internal memory, and actually plays HD 720p video quite nicely, with no lag. I recorded myself unpacking the box on my Droid X MB810, and put the video on the Polaroid and it played flawlessly. The screen's touch feature could be better, because capacitive touch is better than resistive. I bought this for $50, it's original price was $90 or something like that. Overall, it's worthwhile, it looks like an oversized GPS, but works well. I noticed they used some icons from Mac OS X in the system throughout. This PDA device is running a flavor of linux with KDE, so anyone linux-knowledgeable can actually hack nd re-program this device. External speaker is very loud for something this small, and sound quality is great. Battery could be improved. Overall, for money's worth, it's an 8 out of 10. The things missing is wifi, camera, and apps.

Collapse -
(NT) Where did you buy for $50 ?
by rgreen620 / June 19, 2011 12:15 AM PDT
Collapse -
32GB?
by Vrocko / June 21, 2011 1:54 AM PDT

Wow I just got one recently and I thought it would only hold up to a 8GB Micro SD but if it will hold a 32GB I'm going to get one. That would hold everything I need. Nice player I think. Great screen.

Collapse -
Answer
Polaroid PMP 500-4
by wert789 / June 17, 2011 10:07 PM PDT

Sorry no FM tuner. I loaded several e-books from the Gutenberg project in .txt format. They work fine. It has 4 backgrounds for the reader, but I would like to add one of my and I can't figure out how to add one.

It played .mkv, .m4v, .mp4, and .wmv formated videos. I did not have any other formats to try out. It can handle 720p, but with a 5 inch screen, I get good results with much lower resolutions that use much less memory.

The ear-buds that come with it are crud, but it dose have a fairly loud mono speaker for a hand-held device.

Mp3 play back is very good with good ear-buds.

The clip on stand is adequate.

Collapse -
Loading backgrounds
by Vrocko / June 21, 2011 2:11 AM PDT
In reply to: Polaroid PMP 500-4

wert,
Load your pictures to the player like you normally would then go and view them. Find the one you want to use as a background. When it displays hit the Settings button, the gear next to the Home button. When the menu comes up hit the Wallpaper option, the last option in the menu, and it will set the picture as your wallpaper.

Collapse -
Thanks
by wert789 / June 21, 2011 11:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Loading backgrounds

Thanks for the help, but I was referring to the background of the e-book reader, not the desktop wallpaper. I sent an e-mail to the manufacturer and they replied that the e-book backgrounds list can not be adjusted.

Collapse -
Ah!
by Vrocko / June 27, 2011 3:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I didn't even think about that. The manufacturer said no go huh? I don't use the e-book as much as I use the music, video or picture apps but it would be nice to change that background too. I was wondering has anyone tried to locate other apps for it? I'd like to see if there are any or if they can be programmed for it.

Collapse -
Bought the unit a week ago Thumbs UP!!
by TechAlert / July 3, 2011 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Polaroid PMP 500-4

I too purchased the unit...I have been putting it through a battery of tests...so far it plays with no issue:
.avi
.mov
.wmv
.xvid
.divx
.vob (un encrypted)
.mpeg
.mp4
.flv
.mp3
.wma
The unit is really LOUD! - so much so that in a retail setting I was asked to TURN IT DOWN. It easily connects to computer(s) with no software needed. (appears as a mass storage drive) the touch controls are ok, wish was more responsive, but hey it was 50.00 USD so I don't expect Ipad sensitivity. I want to try some "stress tests" next...by attempting a 1080p movie file. So far it has played the 720p resolution files flawlessly.
I love that it displays the album art (if the file has been tagged correctly - I believe another user wondered how to have the Album Art appear when playing music tracks...my best guess as it doesnt have Wifi to grab from the web - is that it is for files that are tagged with the album art in the file format.
As for the Desktop (Wallpaper) customization - it couldn't be easier...simply go to the photo file you want as your wallpaper> Touch the settings button(looks like the "gear")>click "Wallpaper" thats it, that photo will be your "Homepage" Wallpaper. ...to change, perform the same technique with another pic.
The "Ebook" function is nothing more than a reader for .txt files/ but I have encountered this sort of "claim" with other bargain media players...so I wasnt surprised.
The Voice recorder is quite good as well and allows for "Pause during recording" so that you don't have to create a new file every-time you record (for instance you could record a series of public speakers, pausing in between, and have it all saved as the same mp3 file) Oh yeah it saves the voice recordings as mp3 format (Nice!) and you are only limited to recording based on storage. Wish it had an external mic jack.
~If anyone can get ahold of the technical specs of this thing...much appreciated (ie screen actual resolution, bios type, operating system, etc...)
for those who want to purchase I vote its a Go!
for those who own...enjoy!

Collapse -
Update - File types that play on unit
by TechAlert / July 7, 2011 2:32 PM PDT

Update to the file types that play on the unit (adding more)
.avi
.mov
.wmv
.xvid
.divx
.vob (un encrypted)
.mpeg
.mp4
.flv
.mp3
.wma
.3gp
.gif (including animated gif)
It will NOT play the 1080p files - I tried - no luck...anyone have any tips...let me know.
ALSO: for TV playback it may work with ANY of your existing Audio Video Cables that may have come with other items (the ones with the 2.5mm jack to the "red, "yellow", "white" cable) - I tested with a cable that came with another PMP unit bought a few years ago. - I have even seen these cables at the 99cents store (as opposed to paying the 10 bucks they want from Polaroid) The output looks good; wish it had a remote!

Collapse -
video transferring, Need help!
by lmb10164 / November 1, 2011 7:19 AM PDT

<span id="INSERTION_MARKER">Have you transfered a digital copy of a movie on it? I tried. It transferred, but when I try to open it it says is does'nt support this file. Can you give any advice on transferring video.

Collapse -
-Digital Copy
by TechAlert / November 3, 2011 2:40 PM PDT

lmb10164 - I have not attempted a "Digital Copy" Movie on the unit - all of the movies I have played on the unit were "shared" videos encoded in my before mentioned file formats.
1- Im curious - what is the file format of the digital copy movie you want to play?
2- dont worry I have deployed a friend of mine to experiment with her unit and attempt to play a "digital copy" movie (I think its Green Lantern FYI) I can let you know results
3- if the movie is encryped (DRM[digital rights management], Protected etc.) then the unit will not play it.
Ill experiment and update the board when I have more details -

Collapse -
Thanks for the help.
by lmb10164 / November 3, 2011 5:43 PM PDT
In reply to: -Digital Copy

I think that I'm going to return the player today. I bought it to put my digital copies of movies on it. I'm disappointed because the picture on it is beautiful. I can put movies on my little Phillips player but not this one. I think that I'll wait for the Kindle Fire to come out.

Collapse -
i can get this to work!
by kkwilly / November 22, 2011 2:18 PM PST

i have followed the instructions online and I can see the music I have loaded on the computer but they will not play on the device. What am I doing wrong? The pictures show but not the music....HELP!!

Collapse -
Can't figure it out
by ndelenem / December 7, 2011 2:05 PM PST

Maybe its me, but I can't get it to play divx. I am not sure if I am downloading everything on it correctly. What program are you using to download the divx files? I put songs on there with music videos and it won't play the music videos or songs. What am I doing wrong??

Thanks,

Collapse -
re: cant figure it out
by TechAlert / December 8, 2011 2:00 PM PST
In reply to: Can't figure it out

what are the file extensions of your files (best if its .avi)
my files were just Divx files i had just "lying around" no particular program used. Some Divx given from friends.
make sure to that the files are no larger in HD resolution than 720p
the unit will NOT play 1080p
Without seeing the file - I cant offer more assistance...
anyone else have input to help????

Collapse -
Answer
5" Polaroid Touch Screen
by solarpixie / September 9, 2011 12:41 AM PDT

I bought this product it is nice but havent figured out how to get ebooks or backgrounds on it but cam and vid and music work great and has great picture.

Collapse -
Answer
Quick question
by freak3000 / November 15, 2011 7:07 AM PST

Sorry this is not a question but more of a question. Does anybody have the piece of paper that was included in the packaging that allows somebody to purchase the t.v. out cable. I have tried to contact the company that ownes this product has failed to help me. A jpeg of this order form would help greatly.

Collapse -
To order TV out cable
by PTMJR / November 17, 2011 12:16 PM PST
In reply to: Quick question

From the user manual referenced in an above post:
Call 1-877-768-8483 or email cs@southerntelecom.com to order the TV out cable.

Collapse -
Answer
polaroid 5" touch screen
by dcgroce / December 27, 2011 2:37 AM PST

Bought this for my tween and she is enjoying it. The Manual isn't sufficient but better than some that I've used in past for other products. Doesn't come with software so uses general knowledge of pc and windows to import media. the internal speakers and volume are great quality for such a small device. Picture of youtube vidoes better than laptop viewing---due to smaller screen/pixel ratio. After spending some time with it, the pictures and videos are easy to copy to player but still having difficulty importing an ebook. Appears that best ease of viewing ebooks is if entire book is on only one file and not chapter files. This is still in the learning process for us. Will attempt to update this discussion as we go. Does not have internet capabilities but that is a plus if you are still concerned about what your child is viewing/hearing when you are not around. Does not have radio tuner. Still not a deal breaker. Over all pleased with quality for the age of my user. Not an Ipod touch but also not out major bucks if she messes it up in the responsibility learning process.

Collapse -
Answer
Poloriod
by Katniss13 / December 30, 2011 3:27 AM PST

I just got this for Christmas and this thing is AWESOME the sound quality is amazing, and when you view the pics the quality is amazing too. I would get it if i were you!

Collapse -
Answer
Plays almost everything Iv put on it
by nsip_jlh / March 5, 2012 5:42 AM PST

It's played almost everything Iv put on it which is great, but since this is a old post you probably know what it can do by now, just wondering if you or anyone knew what kind of OS this thing uses, I'm looking into more customization options. System information says it's V1.5.27, but of what, any ideas?
BTW touch screen works way better with a stylus.

Collapse -
Answer
Found this link to the product manuals
by dadoggybone / March 8, 2012 10:10 PM PST
Collapse -
Updateable?
by nsip_jlh / March 21, 2012 12:15 PM PDT

I installed android on my laptop a few weeks back using a 1GB microSD, I used that same SD card to quickly move a video to this media player, just out of curiosity I browsed to some of the android install files from the SD card , I selected a img file, and the device asked me if I wanted to update. I selected no, but I'm still curious what would happen.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.