Windows Vista

General discussion

4yr old Lenovo Vista PC- will not boot!

by armyjoebob / February 19, 2013 11:32 PM PST

Hello,

Besides basic functions, i know nothing about computers. Espcially how to fix them.

my computer will not load and was saying the windows error missing or corrupt.

i had my local shop who built the computer, provide me a vista SP1 disk. But it will not repair any errors, etc.

i can not get into safe mod, can not do ANYTHING.

i ran chkdsk C: /f /r and it took forever and said it fixed erros, but still same problem.

PLEASE HELP! I can provide more details, just at work at the moment and trying to think of everything.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4yr old Lenovo Vista PC- will not boot!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4yr old Lenovo Vista PC- will not boot!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Boot from a Ubuntu disc and recover data
by wpgwpg / February 19, 2013 11:38 PM PST

First I'd go to http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop and download Ubuntu to make a bootable disc. Then I'd use that to recover any data I want to keep. Then I'd restore to factory settings. If you don't have the discs to do that, see if your manufacturer will ship them to you for a small fee.

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Collapse -
??
by armyjoebob / February 19, 2013 11:49 PM PST

How do I know if my system is completely unfixable?

How can i save pictures, files etc from my computer before i do a COMPLETE Vista Reinstall?

I wish i could fix this my self.

Collapse -
1. Because of the SAFE MODE failure.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 19, 2013 11:58 PM PST
In reply to: ??

2. The reply shared how to save your pictures before the complete reinstall.

3. The complete reinstall should let you fix this.
Bob

Collapse -
thank you.
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 12:04 AM PST

So i can just download the Ubuntu desktop onto a different computer, then burn to a disk.

Then what.... put this into my UNFIXABLE laptop and what happens next.

Collapse -
There are many links about what happens next.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 12:18 AM PST
In reply to: thank you.
Collapse -
different options?
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 4:29 AM PST

I really wish there was a way to fix this without having to completely reinstall windows Vista.

Can someone provide any other information i can try to narrow down my problem?

key points-
I can not load in any type of safe mode
when loading computer it states there is a missing/ corrupt windows file 32 etc
i have a windows SP1 disk- nothing seemed to work by restoring/ fixing, etc

How can i find out exactly what the problem is and how to fix it, i have been googling everything!

PLEASE HELP!

Collapse -
Re: missing/ corrupt windows file 32 etc
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 4:52 AM PST
In reply to: different options?

You simply replace the missing/ corrupt windows file 32 etc by a non corrupted one you copy from a working Windows Vista machine. If that's the only error, that's a rather fast repair.

But I'm afraid that's much more difficult than it sounds. And if all restores and fixes fail, a clean install is the only solution, if you like it or not.

Finally let me note that your problem seemed to change between your first and your last post. In your first post you said that the "windows error" was missing or corrupt. Now it's the "windows file 32 etc" that's missing or corrupt. That's clearly something else. It's not amazing you can't find the solution on google if the problem changes so quickly.

Kees

Collapse -
How to fix without reinstall.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 4:53 AM PST

Get out the credit card and be prepared to spend a few hundred with Microsoft. For the money they'll have you or will repair the OS for you. Most folk are not ready to pay for this.

There are also folk like Mark R. (link to follow) that repair the OS.
http://www.solsem.com/videolibrary.html

"Troubleshooting Boot & Startup Problems Learn how Windows boots, troubleshoot errors during logon, and fix unbootable systems"

You bring up a good point. That is, should Microsoft and all vendors have provided a tool to fix ALL windows failures without a reload? So far they have not.

Bob

Collapse -
i will find out more info
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 5:16 AM PST

At my home, i have a busted Lenovo laptop and a cell phone. Makes it difficult.

I will take notes of what i see and post back around 5:30 eastern with exactly what it says.

hopefully this forum and my phone work together well.

thanks guys. I really have no problem to re-install vista- i just want my pictures of my kid, etc off before i do so. But it seems difficult.

Collapse -
Not difficult at all.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 5:24 AM PST

An Ubuntu disk is easy to make and easy to use. But if you prefer to buy a new hard disk and get the pictures off the old one later, that's quite well possible also.

Kees

Collapse -
Things to keep in your digital toolkit
by Pepe7 / February 20, 2013 5:51 AM PST

I suggest keeping at least two flavors of Linux Live CDs for file recovery from Windows machines that wont' boot. Why more than one flavor? Well, sometimes one version or another won't work with certain hardware (especially older stuff IME). I also like to have a version of a Live CD installed on a USB drive, for the instance where a CD/DVD won't work and you need to retrieve photos, etc. from the same machine that doesn't boot.

I wish you luck in getting back all your files you need...

Collapse -
Maybe this will add a little perspective
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 5:22 AM PST

If you had to guess, how many computer instructions do you think go into making the Windows operating system? Would you believe there are BILLIONS? That's an extremely large haystack to sort through to find a missing needle. You could spend months and months trying and never find it. That's why experts suggest reinstalling. You can do that in a couple of hours. Granted, it could take several days after that to get everything back like you want it, but believe me it's still a whole lot simpler and easier than sorting through BILLIONS of computer instructions trying to find what's wrong.
What's the solution? Experts will tell you the answer is BACKUP. That's the ounce of prevention. Since you didn't do the ounce of prevention, you're now faced with the pound of cure. Sorry. Sad

When you've gotten your system back like you want it, I urge you to get yourself an external hard drive and a good 3rd party backup program. You can set it up to do everything automagically at the time and frequency of your choice. 1 TB external hard drives are about $70 these days and a really good FREE backup program is the Easeus todo backup free which you can download from
http://www.todo-backup.com/products/home/free-backup-software.htm . That can save you a lot of time and frustration the next time something like this happens. Sooner or later it happens to all computers for one reason or another.

Good luck.

Collapse -
Hard Drive
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 5:31 AM PST

My mother recently purchased a external hard drive that she puts movies on.

Anything i can do with that to help me?

Maybe hook up the hard drive and copy whatever i need to it, then re-install?

Please help.

Collapse -
You can access that external HD anywhere
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 5:34 AM PST
In reply to: Hard Drive

If you have something on an external hard drive, all you have to do is plug it into another computer, and you can access everything on it. That's the beauty of having things on an external drive.

Good luck.

Collapse -
External Harddrive
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 5:37 AM PST

I have Nothing in relation to windows etc - NO BACK ups on it. NOTHING.

Can i hook up my external hard drive to my unbootable laptop and copy what i need over to the external?

Collapse -
I would do that!
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 5:44 AM PST
In reply to: External Harddrive

To get at my laptop's files I'd try the Ubuntu and if you feel that's too hard, try the BartPE Windows item noted above. The problem with BartPE is less machine support so I rarely use that except as a demonstration.
Bob

Collapse -
Why do you need to copy anything?
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 5:46 AM PST
In reply to: External Harddrive

If you have things on the external hard drive, they will still be there after you reinstall, so why would you need to copy. If you want to copy the data that's on it to a 3rd hard drive using that computer you have, you could do it after booting from the Ubuntu or BartPE disc. However I believe you're under the mistaken impression that reinstalling Windows is somehow going to erase what's on the external hard drive. If so, you're mistaken. You could even unplug the external hard drive while reinstalling Windows, then plug it back in afterwards. You should be happy to know that all your movies and anything else that was put on that external drive will still be there. Happy

Collapse -
No No No :)
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 5:53 AM PST

i have a external hard drive- never use it. Its only purpose was to put movies on it. THATS IT.

What i was thinking, is to plug in my external hard drive into my broken laptop and somehow recover any files i want.

but it appears i need a disk that has a copy of ubuntu etc to access my normal files (like photos, etc)????? as i can not get into windows what so ever.

Collapse -
Where are the files you want to recover?
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 6:05 AM PST

At first it sounded like the files you wanted to recover were on the internal hard drive of the computer. To recover those, you'd need to boot from a CD or DVD or flash drive so you could copy those. Ubuntu or BartPE would what you'd need on these discs. If you wanted to copy from the internal hard drive to the external drive, you could then do it because you'd have an operating computer. Both Ubuntu and BartPE give you an operating computer you could use to access the files on the internal hard drive and copy to the external one. You would just use copy and paste or drag and drop, just like you would if you'd booted Windows Vista.

Later in this thread it sounded like you wanted to recover files from the external hard drive. In that case there's no need to copy anything because reinstalling isn't going to destroy anything there.

I think you need to be specific about where you want to copy FROM and where you want to copy TO.

Collapse -
external
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 7:09 AM PST

My external hard drive has no back ups on it. Only some movies.
i have my lenovo vista laptop which wont boot.
I want to somehow transfer anything i want to keep from my laptop and put it on external hard drive. Then i would have no issuea completely re installing vista.

At home now will try to boot up laptop and post the errora

Collapse -
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 7:17 AM PST
In reply to: external

Just booted it up. Sp1 vista disk is in hard drive. Lenovo screen pops up then this.

Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt.
<windows root>\system32\hal.dll
Please re-install a copy of the above file.

Collapse -
Link, comment.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 7:29 AM PST
In reply to: messages
http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/kcs/document?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=DSN_D41BC1D2DB324FFF85D095E5F4244358&isLegacy=true

There are THOUSANDS of posts about that message but here's the kicker. With a pre-installed OS such as comes with the usual name you don't own the required repair DVD. I've watched folk try to fix this without the right DVD (yes you can buy them but keep in mind, that's pretty expensive) but they are used to repairing Windows.

I'd save your files and restore the OS from the supported restore media or from the boot options to restore to factory after you are sure the files are safe.
Bob
Collapse -
typed but
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Link, comment.

Wow i types via phone a **** ton and it didnt post.
When i click repair windows. From the disk. It Shows no operating sysyems. I to an only load drivers and click next. If i click next it says it cannot repair this automatically. I click details. It lists a bunch of signatures. Signature #6 says missingbootmanager

Collapse -
Now that I can use.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / February 20, 2013 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: typed but

Remember that repair is only done once our files are safe.

Go get EasyBCD. It's free and boots from CD and maybe USB. Armed with that I can rewrite the BCD and boot manager.

Here's a tutorial -> http://neosmart.net/blog/2009/easybcd-video-tutorial/

Rescue and repair is about 4 minutes. THIS SORT OF REPAIR IS NOT POSSIBLE TO DETAIL OR DESCRIBE ALL POSSIBLE DAMAGE OR REPAIRS. But when you have your files safe, it's the tool I use to fix boot manager failures.

It's also worth noting that I can cause this failure by changing the BIOS from SATA to IDE EMULATION or moving the SATA cable to another SATA PORT. I mention these because I want to be sure you didn't change those.
Bob

Collapse -
As we've said, you need to boot from a disc
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 7:57 AM PST
In reply to: external

We've told you that you're going to have to boot from a Ubuntu or BartPE disc to recover your files from the internal hard drive. You can try all kinds of other things if you must, but until and unless you boot Ubuntu or BartPE (or equivalent), you're just wasting your time. Sorry. Sad

Collapse -
just to be clear
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 8:06 AM PST

Grrrr

Then here's my plan.
Use my gfs laptop that worls.download ubuntu to her computer.
Burn it to a dvd
Put ubuntu dvd into my pos lenovo
Plug my external hard drive into the pos lenvov
Start lenovo and somehow that disk will allow me to move pictures etc from crashed pc to external hard drive.
Then we install vista /lenovo recovery to factory restart and everything is back to normal

Collapse -
We're making progress
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 8:20 AM PST
In reply to: just to be clear

If by "Use my gfs laptop that worls.download ubuntu to her computer." you mean use a working computer to download the Ubuntu image, I think that's good.

However your last comment "Then we install vista /lenovo recovery to factory restart and everything is back to normal" is only partially true. That will get Windows back to normal, but it won't reinstall any applications installed after the computer was new, and it won't copy your data back to the internal hard drive.

Good luck.

Collapse -
?????
by armyjoebob / February 20, 2013 8:28 AM PST
In reply to: We're making progress

By applications like windows explore, adobe, all other necessity to run? Or will i have to program aplivations to even function properly?

Collapse -
Windows Explorer is part of Windows
by wpgwpg / February 20, 2013 8:50 AM PST
In reply to: ?????

You won't have to reinstall Windows Explorer because that's part of Windows. Anything that wasn't installed by Lenovo when the computer WILL have to be reinstalled. I don't know whether they installed Adobe or not, most manufacturers do, but not all. If you have files created by things like Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint), MS Works, iTunes, your printer's software, antivirus software, etc. are possible things that might have to be reinstalled. Since I don't know what was originally on that computer or what was added in the subsequent 4 years, I can't be specific.

Good luck.

Collapse -
These images may help you start to navigate
by Pepe7 / February 21, 2013 1:12 AM PST
In reply to: ?????

Once you create the Live CD/DVD and insert in your dead laptop, you can learn to navigate the contents of the old Hard drive which should be visible via the new interface. See the following site to get the gist of what you can expect-

http://www.myfixlog.com/fix.php?fid=17

It eventually becomes like riding a bike when you see where your old files/folders are located.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.