TVs & Home Theaters forum

General discussion

4K Ultra HD Streaming Media Players

by drback9 / January 15, 2014 7:31 AM PST

I've been researching 4K streaming media players, and located a new contender at the CES- the Nuvola NP-1 4K Ultra HD Streaming Media Player from Nanotech Entertainment.
It can stream 4K from a channel without the need to download content before playback. It can stream 4K content from pre-installed apps including Netflix, Hulu Plus, Amazon Prime, YouTube 4K, and Nanotech's own 'UltraFlix' 4K Ultra HD channel...we'll see.
They say it will link with any UHDTV with an HDMI port. It is suppose to be able to decode a variety of video formats and resolutions including 4K Ultra HD, HD, SD, and 3-D movies as well as playing state-of-the-art 3-D video games. Cost? $299.
Anybody know of any competitors that can do all this for $299? Would like to know my options before I buy.
I saw the Sony, but it doesn't stream-it downloads. Plus, it was over $600. and doesn't even properly connect with all of Sony's 4K tvs! Weird.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4K Ultra HD Streaming Media Players
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4K Ultra HD Streaming Media Players
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How conversant/knowledgeable are you about "the industry"?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 15, 2014 7:47 AM PST

The major names you listed and the studios are loathe to have an unencumbered HD or 4K content system. I can't guess how long you've been around but 4K should be another minefield with more mines than HD (AKA BluRay.)

Collapse -
I'm going to be a bit snarky
by Pepe7 / January 15, 2014 1:46 PM PST

Why in the world would you think there would be any serious choices for such hardware now with virtually no 4K content to choose from????? 8-0 [FWIW, your post reads like an infomercial. My guess is you are here simply promoting this device.?]

I don't expect much now in the way of full compatibility/feature set because there's still a lot to sort out. Most of the lead towards 4K will be from the computer side.

Collapse -
4K is here...but still growing up!
by drback9 / January 21, 2014 5:48 AM PST

Pepe7- No harm-no foul on the "infomercial" statement.
While 4K content is the shortcoming currently, it still does not change the fact that 4K UHD is here...and will explode in the coming months!
The hottest area at 2014 CES in Las Vegas was 4K! Period.
Why do I sound like an infomercial....research. Lots of research.
I find it odd that there are a lot of people "talking" 4K in the next months/years, but very few are "having" products now.
Nanotech has a product- the Nuvola NP-1, and the Nuvola NP-H1 (commercial version) that right now are being used to demonstrate 4K streaming media by many of the 4K TV manufacturers at their trade shows.
My question remains, I can't find any legitimate products to compare against it.
Sony has a 4K media player, but it doesn't "stream" . It only downloads. And it costs $699!
Nuvola streams in native 4K content for $299.
It may sound like a commercial, but there is a huge disparity between the two: cost and features.
I'm trying to find others to compare against the Nuvola before I buy. But no one offers any competition for it.

Collapse -
I haven't figured out what's wrong with 1080i yet.
by wpgwpg / January 21, 2014 6:00 AM PST

Maybe if I wanted something for a sports field, I might want UHD, but for any home TV I can imagine ever having, 1080i is more than enough. In fact up to 32" sizes 720P is just fine. If a tiny no. of folks want to go spend 5 times more than they need for something they can't really benefit from, well I guess it takes all kinds to make the world go 'round!

Collapse -
"doesn't even properly connect with all of Sony's 4K tvs!"
by Oldartq / January 15, 2014 3:51 PM PST

Where did you get that information? Actually I think even $300 is way over price, but then...what's 300 or 600 when t your tv cost 5K to 25K.

Collapse -
Exactly ;)
by Pepe7 / January 15, 2014 11:51 PM PST

That's why I think he's here to promote the competing product.

Collapse -
Sony's non-connecting 4K media player
by drback9 / January 21, 2014 6:03 AM PST

Where did I get that information? How about Sony itself. Plus multiple chatrooms with dissatisfied customers who bought Sony 4K tvs and Sony 4K media players and discovered they were not compatible.
They didn't work for Nanotech. They owned Sony.

$300 too much for a 4K streaming media player? Tell Sony who sells their "media player" for $699. And it downloads only. It won't even stream. That's what I'm talking about folks. No competition.

Let me ask you this. How much do you pay for cable or satellite monthly? How many months will it take for the streaming media player to pay for itself? Now let's talk cost. Plus Nanotech has an antenna you can install that will receive all your local stations free.

This Nuvola NP-1 replaces your cable or satellite for $300......that's cheap I would say. JMHO

Collapse -
You have the demographic very incorrect
by Pepe7 / January 21, 2014 11:04 AM PST

The cable cutters aren't the folks who are willing to shell out $300 for a media player. That's why Roku's doing so well right now, amigo. And most of the cable subscribers hanging on don't care as much about the local channels as they do the other stuff unavailable elsewhere. You are the niche market/early adopter, hence the availability of this rather 'rushed to market' offering by Sony. They don't get their foot in the door by waiting 2 yrs to put something out. Of course there's no competition at this early stage <hello>.

I'll give you this much- at least your Nuvola works with more than one TV brand(!) Wink

Footnote: Streaming vs downloading at this point makes total sense. It's a good choice by Sony actually. Why? Because a movie you just paid $30(!) for w/ the Sony system will look a lot better played back locally than it ever would streamed. Broadband service isn't that consistent in most areas of the US yet for streaming such content very reliably.

Collapse -
Locked as SPAM.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 21, 2014 11:20 AM PST

With the name drops at 8 or more this moved beyond my tolerance of 3 strikes and you're out.

Come back when you have other makers to discuss.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.