Samsung forum

Question

40ES6100 banding

by Sutter_Kain / January 18, 2013 7:24 AM PST

Hi

I'v bought 40 inch es6100 a mont ago. It has some clouding, but I understand that's the "charm" od edge lit LED TV's. But there's another issue. I noticed horizontal banding visible on completely dark-gray screen, so as while watching movies/playing games when camera moves horizontaly. I phoned my local Samsung division (I'm from Poland), described the issue and was informed that it's within the specyfication of edge lit LED sets. Am I really stuck with the problem? It isn't severe, but it anoys me especially when playing video games.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 40ES6100 banding
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 40ES6100 banding
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Try this
by Mr Shaun Warburton / January 18, 2013 7:31 AM PST
In reply to: 40ES6100 banding

These a called transmission bars and as such are nothing to do with your TV a amplifier may do the trick and reduce them a little but the fault rests firmly with the Broadcaster.

Collapse -
Not the case
by Sutter_Kain / January 18, 2013 7:37 AM PST
In reply to: Try this

I get this on HDMI, USB and TV as well. While using a 1080p dark-gray jpg via USB and allShare I can see dakrer horizontal line in the middle, and two more above, that aren't really visible.

Funny thing is thah Samsung want's a picture of vivid test screen as a proof, but none of the problems (clouding, banding etc) are visible while viewing it.

I know that many, maybe most of LED TV's on market, suffer from banding/ clouding in some degree, but damn this line while panning through darker screen is a real pain in the *** Happy

Collapse -
Answer
Is it possible to return it?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 7:39 AM PST
In reply to: 40ES6100 banding

If this isn't good enough for you and any firmware does not correct it and it passes those vivid tests you want to exit stage left fast.
Bob

Collapse -
Don't know
by Sutter_Kain / January 18, 2013 7:43 AM PST

Without providing photos of the problem and the photo of test image, Samsung will not act. As i mentioned, on test image there's nothing and I can't capture it using my Galaxy SII Camera nad iPad 3 Camera. I bought the set a month ago, guess store will not accept it after this time...

Collapse -
Then more rattling.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / January 18, 2013 7:46 AM PST
In reply to: Don't know

I've seen folk go to small claims court over things like this. They use phrases like suitability, not what I saw in the store and such to get their refund. Most stores buckle fast.

It sounds like it's unacceptable to you. We know that the move to digital TV has had its issues but you don't like the set. Work to get another.
Bob

Collapse -
Thanks
by Sutter_Kain / January 18, 2013 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Then more rattling.

Samsung Service is out of play, so I'll try to talk with the store on monday.

Collapse -
by Sutter_Kain / January 18, 2013 5:48 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Ok, I contacted the strore and someone will be on monday at my house to check the TV. One more thing - I wold love to hear the opinion of Samsung UK on the matter:)

Collapse -
Re: Samsung UK Comment
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 21, 2013 4:34 AM PST
In reply to: ...

Hi Sutter_Kain,

I don't believe they have an account here; I represent Samsung Electronics USA.

If you want, message me, and I can forward a message to them, but that's the extent of my ability.

Regards,
HD Tech

Collapse -
bump
by Sutter_Kain / January 22, 2013 4:28 AM PST
In reply to: Re: Samsung UK Comment

It doesn't matter which devision you represent, I just want to hear youre thoughts on the matter Happy Sorry, I fought you represent the UK's branch of Samsung.

Collapse -
Re: Thought on the matter
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / January 22, 2013 7:13 AM PST
In reply to: bump

Hi Sutter_Kain,

In the US, we often ask for pictures or a video to evaluate issues regardless of their warranty status. I don't find that such a request is unreasonable.

Regards,
HD Tech

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.