TVs & Home Theaters forum

40" wide Samsung... just... won't... fit... So, now what?

by Park_Bio / November 17, 2012 3:57 AM PST

Death of a picture tube (our Toshiba 32A32, c. 2002, 32" CRT television (22.5 x 30.4 x 28 inches & 111 pounds) has me reading CNET reviews. The Toshiba just fit into the large oak corner cabinet we built and my wife loves (it stays). The cabinet's front aperture is just 33.75" wide though floor width expands to 45" just 4" inside the doors. CNET has sold me on the Samsung PN43E450. I made a template using a few sheets of thick cardboard, simulating the Samsung's 39.8"W x 24.5"H x 2.2"D ( x 10.3" D w/ stand). Slip one end in first, and... it... just... won't... fit (by a half inch)! Sad Tried again. Still won't go.
So, now what (short of some fancy cabinet work) would you recommend? Plasma TVs supposedly start at 42", right? Is there a close second to the PN43E45? Also, we do watch some tv during the day, and the TV faces three 36"w glass sliding doors onto south-facing, but shaded, 18-foot deep porch. I didn't like the reflections in our Toshiba, but my wife wasn't bothered by it. recommendations?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 40" wide Samsung... just... won't... fit... So, now what?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 40" wide Samsung... just... won't... fit... So, now what?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
My thought was it's a good thing it didn't go in.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 17, 2012 4:02 AM PST

Plasma tends to and still does put out more heat. And this heat reduces the life span. I find most owners loathe to add more venting or gasp, a fan.

Try the next size down?

Collapse -
Made it work. Elected to take our chances with the heat.
by Park_Bio / November 21, 2012 4:33 AM PST

Tired of comparison shopping and product research (things I tend to overdo, and probably did this time), I finally bought the Samsung 43" plasma (PN43E450). Inserting one edge into our corner-fitted television cabinet's 33.75 inches wide aperture, I placing the t.v. screen's leading edge in a corner, then raised it on two wood blocks, so I had a little room above and below. I inverted the rubber-cushioned heads on two bar-clamps, turning them into "spreaders." By putting one spreader below and one above the t.v., I managed to get the 1/3 of an inch I needed, and without bursting the cabinet (and my marriage). I then slipped the trailing edge of the t.v.'s screen through the aperture.

We live in Key Largo year-round, in a home designed to "feel" comfortable without any climate control, despite some humid 94 degree nights during summer, and a few times most years, usually in December or January, when temps get below 40 for a few consecutive days and nights. I said "feel" comfortable, but I will concede it ain't always so... there are about 5 to 15 nights each year when I would kill to have air-conditioning "right now." Of course, no one will come out and install a central air system at 9PM, so it passes.

All of our electronics generate heat, and none of them like heat. Add to that the salty air of the Florida Keys, it corrodes stuff (the cranks that open and close our awning-style windows, and the aluminum frames of our window screens go the fastest) on the windward side of the house faster than on the leeward side. Having the house open to the breezes, except during a few brief cold spells, means equipment fans that run constantly also pull a lot of dust and salty, humid air through the cooled device. That killed our desktop (tower) computers, but cooler running chip sets in newer laptops are a dream - I am working at a 2007 Dell Inspiron E1705 (17 inch screen) that practically lives outside on a screened porch.

So, keeping the 43" plasma Samsung in a closed cabinet when it is off should minimize the dust and salt exposure. opening the cabinets oak doors is required to see the screen when it is on, and that should allow for adequate ventilation. I'd be happy to install a quiet fan, but if that just trades heat for corrosion, I am not sure how to measure the trade-off.

If you have you know of any proven remedies or preventive actions that do not rely on whole house climate control systems, there are millions of us living in sub-tropical and tropical coastal environments who would love to hear them. In fact, let me recommend this as a forum topic / title: Extending the service life of electronic devices in warm (humid) coastal areas.
Thanks CNET, you have become (over several years) one of my most trusted sources for advice (along with Consumer Reports, DPReview and the bartender at... (sorry, it doesn't pay to share all your best fishing holes).

Park _Bio

Collapse -
Thanks for the update.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / November 21, 2012 4:38 AM PST

Glad to read you are thinking over the issues! Many folk don't.

Collapse -
Unfortunately, no ;(
by Pepe7 / November 22, 2012 3:15 AM PST

I spend a bit of time in Islamorada- it's wonderful down there ;). Unfortunately, there's nothing you can do besides employ whole house-type climate control w/ electronics. You just have to hope they hold on and keep working properly. Porches are a no-no if you expect something to last IME.

cheers and happy thanksgiving

Collapse -
Costco, etc. sell many 37" LCD & LED models
by Pepe7 / November 17, 2012 11:12 AM PST

Hit some stores and take notes on what you like/don't like. Then, come back here w/ more questions.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.