TVs & Home Theaters forum

4-ohm speakers on 8-ohm stereo

by kbuikmvaj / July 17, 2013 2:05 PM PDT

I have a Sony stereo that's over 10 years old so it's rated for 8-to-16-ohm speakers. I use just 2 speakers and they're kind of sorry. I was just given some new speakers from a htib that are 4-ohm and I'd like to replace my current speakers with two of these. From looking around, it seems that connecting those speakers to my stereo might blow something (not sure what) so I was wondering if I can solder 4-ohm resistors into the speaker wires (in series with the speaker) and correct the mismatch. I don't really know what the stated impedance refers to, so I don't know if this is brilliant or stupid but I'm sure someone will tell me. Happy

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4-ohm speakers on 8-ohm stereo
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4-ohm speakers on 8-ohm stereo
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Why not read prior discussions?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 2:34 PM PDT
Collapse -
I did a search of this site
by kbuikmvaj / July 17, 2013 2:51 PM PDT

and googled the web generally and although many people ask about whether they can use speakers of a different impedance from their amp, I didn't find anybody who was actually looking to correct the impedance. I'm glad to know it's been covered and I'll check your link; so often finding the right answer depends on using just the right search terms and it never occurred to me that the terms you used would actually work!

Collapse -
There are many right answers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 2:56 PM PDT

But only you can select yours.

Mine was to put a pair of 4 ohm speakers in series. 2 per cabinet and I was done. Your audiophiles usually scoff at such things.

Collapse -
Yes, apparently there ARE many right answers.
by kbuikmvaj / July 17, 2013 3:15 PM PDT

I did a search using your link and a very quick look found the following ones:
1) You can run 4-ohm speakers on an 8-ohm amp, no problems.
2) No you can't, you'll overheat your amp.
3) If you're careful you'll be fine.

4) Put a 4-ohm resistor in series into the speaker wire, works fine.
5) No it won't, it'll still overheat the amp. (Or the resistor.)
6) Put two 4-ohm speakers in series on the same wire pair.

I'm glad I got that cleared up! Happy

Collapse -
And actually, I think I'm going to use your solution.
by kbuikmvaj / July 17, 2013 3:17 PM PDT

Collapse -
Yes I would connect them in series to see if that's ...
by Oldartq / July 17, 2013 5:55 PM PDT

what you are after. This way there won't be a chance of damaging the amplifier. The issue here is that because they are of different impedance and probably difference in efficency as well, so should have some sort of L-pad volume control of some kind to give you the same loudness. Give it a try, you might be able to live with it as it is.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET bought a house!

Take a look inside the house where we will be testing connected locks, thermostats and other smart home products so we can tell a complete story.