PC Hardware forum

General discussion

4.1ghz pentium D article

by ramarc / May 10, 2006 1:30 AM PDT

TH reports the OC'd pentium D 805 can match or beat an x2 4800+ and an extreme 965.
"A short while ago we tested Intel's latest flagship processor, the Pentium EE 965 (Extreme Edition), which costs nearly $1,100 at retail outlets. Even this CPU, which still isn't available at too many locations, has to surrender first place to this stealth candidate. Things look the same for the top-of-the-line AMD processor, the Athlon 64 FX-60, which also fell behind in most of our benchmarking categories."
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4.1ghz pentium D article
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4.1ghz pentium D article
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) That is insane.
by jrmar07 / May 10, 2006 1:47 AM PDT
Collapse -
Wonder how representative that specific CPU was ?
by VAPCMD / May 10, 2006 3:08 PM PDT

Then if you're lucky enough a get a good one, you've still got to get a premium MB, a MEGA WATT PS, high performace DDR2 RAM and a super duper pooper scooper HS FAN. And then you'll just have to wonder just how long all that stuff is gonna last with that extra voltage ????

Collapse -
THG said it was a retail CPU (not vendor provided)
by ramarc / May 10, 2006 11:07 PM PDT

4.1ghz was an extreme experiment, but with a $130 CPU, a $40 cooler, and a good $110 945P mobo, I think you could easily go from 533mhz FSB to 667 mhz and be running at 3.3ghz. You wouldn't even need to OC the RAM and if these are B stepping CPUs you'd only be 100mhz over the production top end.

Collapse -
by WhyFi / May 11, 2006 9:16 PM PDT

They also needed water cooling to reach that mark. And yeah, how long indeed? I'm at the point where I just want my stuff to work, so a mild overclock is fine by me if it doesn't lead to any down-time. I guess if you have dedicated 'work' and 'play' machines it would be alright, but...

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Very detailed. Thanks, ramarc !
by linkit / May 10, 2006 4:48 PM PDT
Collapse -
I'd get it
by hshagel08 / May 12, 2006 10:00 AM PDT

I'd get that processor in a heart beat just to Oc it but I don't have half the stuff needed to get it to 4.1 I may get one in the future and keep it at 3.6 or something unless the Conroe does the same and doesn't cost a bajillion dolars.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smart Home Help

Light bulbs you shouldn't buy

There are plenty of dimmable LED light bulbs, but make sure you don't buy the ones that flicker when you dial them down.