The CNET Lounge

General discussion

4/05/05 Do you use eBay? If so, how often?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / April 4, 2005 3:39 AM PDT

Do you use eBay? If so, how often?

Yes, daily; I'm an eBay addict
I buy and sell regularly
Tried it few times
Had a bad experience (tell us about it)

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 4/05/05 Do you use eBay? If so, how often?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 4/05/05 Do you use eBay? If so, how often?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
A rather bad experience on eBay
by Shutterbug / April 5, 2005 6:03 AM PDT

I have used eBay to buy some tools and a few lovely digital cameras. No problems until I needed accessories for one. I goofed in that I made first purchase before camera arrived and based on info I found both on eBay and Internet so I had the wrong battery and a very generic charger for all cameras but not recommended at all by manufacturer of camera. I opened things to see what I had (the hard plastic bubble packages can be very difficult to see what you have sometimes). Everything was wrong. I requested a return (I've never had problems in this regard). Because I opened stuff and could not return in original shape, they refused. They did tell me they would take two batteries back (but not charger) and discount 20% plus I'd pay postage. They would send me that manufacturer's battery for a HUGE amount of money. I didn't bite. I decided to try selling myself like on Amazon.com.

Reading the site gave NO clue that I could find to save myself. Now I know to dig until I've hit every single hotlink and even gone into their online stores to check "policies." That's key here in this case. They insist their policies are clearly stated on EVERYTHING. But they aren't.

I tried working with Paypal (Visa won't help you if you have a complaint with Paypal) and with eBay. They wanted a lot more info (numbers I had not seen, etc.). I gave up.

I'll get them sold one way or another. My advice is to read, read more, and then read some more. Then send a note to seller with specific questions. Print that all out and have it on the ready if anything goes wrong. I am out over $60 until I can sell this stuff!

Collapse -
I understand but...
by onewayNick / July 12, 2005 6:10 PM PDT

I understand your problem you are having with an ebay seller. I have had quite a few. But complaining that paypal and ebay would not help you is like saying that you bought something at a garage sale, didn't like it and when the seller wouldn't give a refund, you are going to complain to the mayor of the city you bought the item in. Ebay did not sell you the item, why do you hold them responsible for not checking EACH and EVERY one of their millions and millions of auctions? Don't get me wrong, I HATE EBAY! The rip off their sellers and customer service is not a word in their $500,000,000 a year profit vocabulary. Anyway, just trying to clear things up for people out there... you are not buying anything from ebay, its just an online garage sale and at garage sales, you may end up getting junk!

Collapse -
They don't sell the item, but they shouldn't cover-up fraud
by rfaris2 / November 1, 2005 12:50 PM PST
In reply to: I understand but...

I am a 100+ user of Ebay. I have had a couple of bad deals and I don't blame Ebay for those. But I do hold them responsible for failing to police their auctions and making it incredibly difficult to report fraud. In my travels around Ebay I have noticed a number of obvious frauds which I would like to have reported to protect novice buyers, but Ebay doesn't want these frauds reported, it causes them work and ruins their statistics. Therefore, they make the fraud report page extremely difficult to use in hope that people will give and go away. When I posted a comment on their discussion board that they should make it easier to report fraudulent auctions, I was threatened with a TOS violation and the deceptive listings are still up. Buyers beware.
Guess that tells you where they stand on fraud.

Collapse -
Have you ever tried using drop.com ?
by evenstar818 / October 20, 2006 3:08 PM PDT

I used to sell on eBay in its early days, but now they have so many fees. So I started using drop.com. Its an online community where buyers and sellers use virtual clearance racks to sell goods. And its FREE!

Collapse -
DROPDOTCOM?
by cornchild / October 31, 2011 8:24 AM PDT

I TRIED TO GO TO THIS "DROP" SITE AND IT DOES NOT EXIST

Collapse -
re: EBay shouldn't cover-up fraud
by smjhunt / March 28, 2007 2:18 AM PDT

I have to agree. It's not EBays fault that it has some unethical sellers but they make it especially hard for a buyer to alert others when they've been the victim of one.

I recently bought some patio furniture from an EBay seller and about two hours after I purchased it, discovered it actually came from Walmart's web site with a 60% markup. I immediately emailed the seller and asked them to cancel which they refused. Left with no other choice, I then posted negative feedback stating that I found out the item was from walmart.com at 60% markup. Soon thereafter my feedback was removed. Apparently they considered walmart.com to be a link to another site and this is not allowed even though I clearly put it there as the name of an online store and not any attempt to link to another site.

I repeatedly sent emails offering to eliminate the .com. It took over a week but the reply was basically there was no way I could repost feedback on this item no matter what.

Meanwhile, the seller, in retaliation posted negative feedback against me stating I had tried to blackmail him with negative feedback which is patently untrue and the EBay email trail proves it.

Fortunately, by then I was smart enough to leave out the .com in my reply however EBay's little 80 character response limit makes it practically impossible to back up ones comments with any evidence. It's the like the old lawyer's trick: "Have you stopped beating your wife? Just answer yes or no". You're not given enough space to back up your comments. In point of fact, I kept the complete email trail that shows that this seller lied about everything they posted re the feedback but was unable to present it.

Collapse -
Covering up for fraudulent listers
by weelndln / December 2, 2008 1:24 PM PST

Unfortunately for you and thousands like you, there is little that can be done after the fact. But I will promise you and others that, should something like that happen on myejar.com the lister would be suspended permanently. But dishonesty doesn't stop that easy. He could register under another name and be back with his dirty tricks until he is caught again. At this point all you can hope for is he still uses the same IP address and MyeJar can block the IP address which in most cases is possible. weelndln

Collapse -
I CANNOT BELIEVE E-BAY IS STILL ALLOWED TO OPERATE
by CHUNTLEY100 / October 12, 2010 5:40 AM PDT

e-bay needs to get their customer service straight. I would guess that their customer service is one of the worst in the world.I tried selling some items on e-bay and got to hold for 68 mins. and then was on line for 3-1/2 hrs and never got a straight answer. surely the justice dept. needs to look at their bad tactics. I will advise any one not to use e-bay because if you need to talk top some one you are screwed. I encountered some major problems with them and I know that they cannot keep going like they are

Collapse -
Trying to Police Fraud
by weelndln / November 28, 2008 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: I understand but...

I agree that ebay is like a garage sale or flea market except for the fact that at those places you can see for yourself the condition of the item.
Then after the inspection "You" decide wether it is a good buy or not. You can walk away if you feel uncomfortable about the purchase. But with on line auctions you have to rely on the sellers description and their honesty. Here is where ebay fails. They take the side of the seller because to do other wise would cost them money. I joined ebay Jan. 2006 first as a buyer and my first two purchases were from dishonest sellers. And now with all of ebays changes and fee hikes, I have teamed up with a friend who is fed up with ebay too and we created myejar.com. We understand the needs of the seller, and the concerns of the buyer. As we both were sellers and buyers first. We at myejar.com want honest sellers and care less for their money if they are dishonest. This will help police fraud in on line auctions along with honest buyers reporting them. Weelndln (Roy)

Collapse -
Ebay SUCKS
by vintagebrass / September 15, 2005 2:43 AM PDT

I have been a user of ebay since 1999, and have had only minor problems, primarily with non-paying buyers, until this week. Ebay suspended my account on Monday and accused me of shill bidding. I have left them numerous email messages asking the source of this decision, but have yet to receive a response. Of course they don't have a phone number that you can call to talk to customer service to try to get it resolved.

Ebay obviously has a guilty until proven innocent policy. They decided that I was shill bidding in conjuction with an auction for an item that sold for $1400 and on which I bid $99. This makes no sense whatsoever. I have never bid on any of this seller's other auctions, nor has he ever bid on any of mine. I even sold a number of items recently that sold for their opening bid. If I were using shill bidding wouldn't I have had someone put in shill bids to drive up these prices? They clearly don't bother doing any research. If they get a complaint they punish first and ask questions later.

I never worried about it in the past, but they also have a policy of not caring about their customers if they get stiffed by a buyer. Yes, you can get the final value fee back, but they keep the listing fee. It's just tough luck on your part. Not only that, but the vast majority of phsihing messages that I have been receiving have been in conjunction with my (fe)eBay account.

I have bought and sold many thousands of dollars worth of items on eBay over the past 6 years, but now they have lost me as a customer and anyone who I talk to will hear the same thing, "DON'T DO BUSINESS WITH THOSE eBay SCUM."

Collapse -
EBAY SUCKS
by bigjoedjeweler / November 22, 2005 3:26 AM PST
In reply to: Ebay SUCKS

I TOTALLY AGREED WITH YOU. EBAY ONLY CARE FOR HIS COMPANY DONT CARE ABOUT THE CLIENT I THINK I DONE WITH THEM. MY EXPERIENCE IS SAME AS YOURS. THEY ONLY TAKING CARE ON HOW THEY EARN MONEY BUT NOT TO TAKE CARE OF THOSE PEOPLE TO GIVE THEM MONEY. THEY REALLY SUCKS.

Collapse -
Ha Ha Ha
by Eskiegirl302 / November 22, 2005 10:23 AM PST
In reply to: EBAY SUCKS

Let me tell you all what I did. I signed up on e-bay. I knew beforehand about their scummy tactics. So I thought I would pull a tactic of my own. I went in all the rooms and posted a cnet message on all the boards about how unfair they are and about how dumb it is to use pay pal on the net. (They do not catch this untill later) I was getting letters from e-bay users even before ebay caught this. All they did was send me an e-mail about how I was not supposed to do that (sniff sniff) I wrote them back (if you know how to search, you know how to do this) told them what I thought of them, and demanded that they close my account immediately! Guess what? They never did. Ha Ha Ha So if you dont care if you have an account with that scummy site, do that. Just go in there and post on all the forum boards about what happened to you. Everyone will read it before ebay catches it. They won't even let you close your account. I never used that site, and I never will. I put my stuff on other auction sites. The only reason e-bay is so big is cause that is one that everyone knows. Anyone can do it. Make your own sites for cryin out loud. Shoot you all seem to know what you want so why not create it? Have fun all

Collapse -
ebay fraud
by MrWilson / November 26, 2005 1:51 AM PST

EBAY does SUCK. By nature it is a flea market/pawn shop and ebay has not a care! I've eliminated my accounts to both EBAY and PAYPAL as I have found the system contemptible. TRASH! Congress should worry more about the CHILDREN selling on ebay and what is really going on with this INTERNET TRASH!. Start putting a TAX on these meatheads and find what crawls out from under that rock.....

Collapse -
A Site to buy and sell on that's way better than Ebay!
by imajagfan / December 6, 2005 6:40 AM PST

I completely agree that ebay sucks! Their listing fees, etc. have gotten way out of hand! I recently found a better site called ioffer that everyone should definitely check out! I've found some way better deals on this site, and it's completely free to list - you only pay when item sells! It's really cool and should eventually give ebay a good run for their money! Search for ioffer in google and check it out! Alredy has quite a few members now, but the more people that join will make it a greater competitor to ebay Wink

Collapse -
I have been fed up with Ebay for a while now!
by Amandafinds / August 15, 2008 8:40 AM PDT

I totally agree with you. I prefer iOffer, I have also come across another interesting site http://www.offertime.net I like the fact that both site give the user the opportunity to make offers. I feel items are more competitively priced due to the lower seller fees. Don't get me wrong I don't mind all the changes on Ebay. I feel most of them may benefit both the seller and buyer what bothers me is the fact that Ebay isn't looking out for their members by implementing these changes. I feel Ebay is looking out for themselves.

Collapse -
The pay to list trend is just about over
by crafyseller / May 30, 2009 10:20 AM PDT

People are now looking for more and more ways to save, the pay a fee to list your items days will soon be over. More and more companies are stepping up to the plate and competing against Ebay, the last that I feel has a very good chance is Finds It Online Marketplace they feature a free to list option and charge a very reason fee if your item sells. You may want to check it out They seem to have many cool features and I just like the look :), I feel this site is worth a shot. I too like iOffer but I feel it may be too difficult to use for some buyers.

Collapse -
EBAY PIGGIES (SEE: Beatles- Piggies 1968)
by richardmason1962 / December 18, 2005 12:15 AM PST

I hate EBAY. Damned f****g scumbags! I have a dispute with BARGAINDEPOT04 over a one cent item. I bid on the item and made the mistake of not looking at the payment options. I can only pay with paypal. I won the item for a penny and noticed they only accept credit cards. I wrote the seller threre times apologizing for my mistake and yet, the moron filed an unpaid item thing and my account gets cancelled.

What a bunch of greased owl ****! I have bought 12 items on EBAY in less than two weeks and paid for them all, usually on the same day. That doesn't matter to the good Nazis at Ebay. Oh no! One complaint about not paying and they cancel my account? But the seller, oh, he's got 276 complaints in less than a month. And over 2000 in three years. He's ok. THey don't bother with his account. HE makes them money. Me, I bought a one penny item.

You can see who EBAY sides with. The people who make them money. Therefore, their rules and policies are a load of dog s*** on a stick!

And, to try and be a good little member of the EBAY community, I spent several hours looking for bootleg and pirated items in the DVD and CD section. I turned in 300 people. Maybe that's bad, but if you were the artist, you'd like someone in your corner. People hate getting ripped off. But does EBAY remember all that hard work? Do they even care? No, they're a bunch of little snotty little hogs rooting around in the grass for lost spare change.

Collapse -
ENAy SUSPENTION......your next....
by jackmargus / June 2, 2010 9:45 PM PDT

Here is a funny story. They re-opened and closed my account 3 times! I got a MC115 registration suspention. Apparently they are handing out these like candy these days. The customer service Representative I spoke with said I had a buying violation also. Odd, because I didn't buy anything. I have 0 feedback. I think the automated computers at Ebay are complete %#!%$. Lets say you move and need to change your address within the Registration. We,ll as soon as you buy something the computers are going to automatically suspend your account for a violation. The human factor is almost completely gone from Ebay. Very sad. Also, one of the Reps on the phone was very rude. Why have customer service by phone if customer service cannot actually do anything important. Love too see what Ebay's stock price does this year. They are going to scare away alot of new applicants with this system.

Collapse -
30 day ebay suspension
by jimbod / December 21, 2005 1:52 AM PST

i have just been suspended from ebitch for 30 days, i have other accounts open at the moment, is it a matter of time before they dicover my other accounts and kick me off completely?
To be honest half of me pissed of but the other half is relieved.
any suggestions would be welcomed

Collapse -
Ebay sucks
by sparky387 / January 21, 2006 11:02 AM PST
In reply to: 30 day ebay suspension

I have been suspended now for 2 weeks for an invalid
unpaid item strike
ebay was my Business it has not succeeded in destroying it yet
Because ebay is so badly policed i suggest averyone that sells or buy's registers more than one e-bay Id useing other family members
always download your info and inventory to the nexted site
always cause maxinum disruption to ebay by persuing
ebay through the small claims courts
disrupt their e-mail system don't just send 1 email
send as many as you can alway tell your friends of any competition rather than Ebay its only by word of mouth the ebay got this big so start telling your friend of the other website

Collapse -
And While your at it....
by Eskiegirl302 / January 22, 2006 5:31 AM PST
In reply to: Ebay sucks

Don't forget to take it to the chat rooms The more people know about this eBay crap the better

Collapse -
What youre doing will land you an indefinite suspension...
by holytrobber / March 12, 2009 5:11 PM PDT

Hey there,
If you have a 30 day suspension on your primary account, and you are utilizing other secondary or connected accounts from your current IP address at home - Ebay is DEFINITELY going to catch you doing this, and then you're going to get a permanent suspension for "Abusing Ebay". Theres just about nothing worse you can do than try to use their system in any fashion while you have a current suspension..This is like commiting account suicide - And trust me it's not Russian Roulette, its more like stepping on a landmine...You ARE going to get caught, and then your account is going to be closed for good. What you need to do is something I just learned from an absolutely excellent ebook on the subject..You need to create MULTIPLE Ebay accounts, that can run from the same residence and that are all totally independent of one another...This way once something happens to one, you can continue selling WITHOUT getting caught using their system while you are suspended. Under Ebay's new "Computer Security" System, the odds are most people out there will suffer a suspension, usually it's permanent - and in your case it's definitely going to be if you dont take some pre-cautions quickly and get a little Ebay Education...Go to google, and type in "Ebay Undercover" and I think it's the first link that will come up - Check out that book, my friend turned me on to it when I got suspended and it was the best 30 bucks I ever spent - I dont worry anymore if one account gets suspended or has a problem because I legally made like 5 accounts now and run them simultaneously and they arent linked in any way. I learned it all from this book, great stuff and highly recommended!
I hope it can help you to! Good Luck!

Collapse -
Ebay Issues
by bryon69 / September 20, 2009 4:43 PM PDT

HI, I know you issues. I am an Ebay reseller. recently, my ebay account was suspended, and to date, I have had no reply from ebay of the reason. I had an old ebay account that my daughter used, there was an outstanding balance of $6.00. This blocked both my old account and the current account. I was informed by a live Ebay consultant that if i pay this, both of my accounts would be re activated o the spot. So, I did this in good faith, now both my accounts are locked. I have since spoken to another live consultant (these people are obviously in a call centre in the Philippines and are reading from the manual), who advised me to send an email to ebay, and I would be responded to within 24 to 48 hours. I have done this, 3 days ago, and still no reply. I then spoke to another ebay consultant, and was told to wait for 24 to 48 hours. I asked if this was on top of the 72 hours I had already waited?? Standard reply, I know and understand your concerns. No real answer. Apparently, I have broken selling regulations. I do no know why and nobody there seems to care that I have a big financial outlay of stocks I need to move. I am gathering that it is because I am selling phones on Ebay. But, after a great deal of research, I have found that there are no Australian regulations on selling phones, excepting the fair tading laws, which every carrier in Australia breaks those laws. I have found dealing with ebay is like dealing with one of those directory assistance computers. the people in the live help department are like computers. they do not think for them selves, and you can tell that they are reading directly from the book. My issues have been reported to the ACCC and, trade preatcices of Australia. Another American Stuff up. Go Uncle Sam!!!! Your a hero

Collapse -
ebay is so brain dead....
by lookerjdc / December 21, 2005 2:08 PM PST

I have a negative balance in my ebay account and I have been trying to get a refund from ebay for the past few months

ebay keeps telling me to contact the credit card company and dispute the charge

this is not a dispute over a charge, it is a negative balance in my ebay account - each month I get my ebay statement and it shows I have a negative balance in my account (aka ebay owes me money)

ebay continues to tell me that there is nothing they can do about it and that I have to contact the credit card issuing bank and dispute the charge

but how does a bank issue a refund to a credit card account that is closed and no longer active, and when this is not a dispute over a purchase charge - this is a refund for some screw up on ebays part and they owe me a refund!!!

Collapse -
i had the same crap with ebay !!!! dont ever shop there!
by rickypiper / September 15, 2006 5:15 AM PDT

yes i have had the exact same thing just happen to me , and you are right about the way they treat there customers it is disgusting .

Collapse -
Fraud on ebay
by Ralph Jackson / April 5, 2005 6:05 AM PDT

Ordered espresso maker from seller, in late pm. Called in morning to say it was wrong madel. Seller emailed that we coud get refund minus his fees since he hadn't sipped- he had taken it out of my bank account, which I did not authorize - I had checked american express. Then he mailed it anyway with nasty note. have been in dispute resolution without any satisfaction as they tend to protect buyer even though I returned it at my expense. Luckily my bank stopped payment but Paypal, ebay subsidiary is still billing me even though I have proof on all points Ralph Jackson

Collapse -
Something missing
by EZRIDER714 / April 5, 2005 1:38 PM PDT
In reply to: Fraud on ebay

Payment could not have been taken out of bank account without authorization.That is like saying I could take money out of your account right now? Also Paypal would not be billing you unless you chose to make your payment using Paypal.Also you would not have to pay using 2 different payment options.I believe quite a bit of the story is missing.Have been using ebay almost 5 years without any problems.

Collapse -
paypal sucks
by giggyboy / April 5, 2005 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Something missing

Paypal helped themselves to $1997.00 without my authorization.It seem someone in China made a trans-action and they thought it was me.I asked don`t you double check before you transfer money form an account,I got not straight answer from the bumbling Idiot on the phone, that wasted my time on hold for over an hour.I only found out when I got a notice in the mail from my Bank, that a check bounced from my checking account.That was two weeks after the Fact.It took me almost five weeks to get my money back.Ebay and paypal were also rude and non-cooperative.

Collapse -
Paypal?
by mdalphabeta / April 6, 2005 3:01 AM PDT
In reply to: paypal sucks

I Still havent gotten my money back after a bad transaction was tried and tried and tried. they tried to take out thousands after thousands. so dont trust those pals, they will leave you open and dry

Collapse -
Thanks all for your kindness
by Eskiegirl302 / October 22, 2005 1:21 PM PDT
In reply to: Paypal?

I am glad that I checked out the peoples voices on pay pal before I used it! I had an account and I closed it. Almost got into this gig. So thanks all. Here is the e-mail I got and responded to. service@paypal.com to me
More options 10:01 pm (14 minutes ago)

Dear Valeria Lindholm,

We are sorry that you have decided to close your PayPal account. With millions of members in dozens of countries and regions across the globe, PayPal is continually improving and expanding its award-winning services.

PayPal is the world's leading online money transaction service for individuals, businesses and merchants. From customized shopping carts and ATM debit cards to one-click purchases and a leading high-yield Money Market Fund, PayPal offers individual and business solutions that are time-saving, secure, cost-effective and easy-to-use.

Should you decide you want to have a PayPal account again in the future, visit https://www.paypal.com and follow the few easy steps to open a new account.

If you did not authorize your account to be closed, please report this email to us at
https://www.paypal.com/us/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_contact_us

Sincerely,

The PayPal Team

PayPal Email ID PP528

here is the number to get ahold of pay pal if you are having a problem 1-866-648-5843 they dont give you this unless you close your account and they want to know why

here is my response to them:
Award winning? You are fooling around with peoples money! I closed this account because when I signed up, I tried to contact your customer service a number of times by the e-mail. YOU never responded. Untill just now

Later pay pal I will use another service. One that does not mind helping their customers!

I got the bot on this one because I replied to an automated response. Well who didn't know that? I think all of pay pal is bots (robots) Now to find a service i can use...

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.