Photo Editing & Graphic Design forum

Question

3D PDFs - How to add interactive information to them?

by MarkKAPC / September 15, 2012 5:59 AM PDT

I have been working in SketchUp and I have created neighborhoods that have been converted into 3D PDFs.

Is there a software that will allow adding to the 3D PDF written information that pops-up when scrolling over parts of the 3D model?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3D PDFs - How to add interactive information to them?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3D PDFs - How to add interactive information to them?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
If there is such, my bet is it's at Adobe.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 16, 2012 6:59 AM PDT

I see they moved most of the PDF stuff into their Creative Suite.

Collapse -
Adobe not clear about 3D PDFs
by MarkKAPC / September 17, 2012 3:24 AM PDT

I have not been able to find a demonstration on the web or get a definitive answer from the sales people of Adobe on which programs can alter or augment a 3D PDF. I have a subscription to Creative Cloud but specific support is hard to find. If there is a specific Adobe program that might work I'd be happy to hear of it. I have also used SimLabs 3D PDF converter to import my SketchUp models into and create the 3D PDFs. The result is a little clunky - if there is another more nimble conversion program that allows some navigation customization and accommodates adding information to the model I 'd be happy to try that out. Thanks for reading and responding.

Collapse -
Odd. Over at adobe.com
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2012 3:36 AM PDT
Collapse -
Adobe has not provide an answer.
by MarkKAPC / September 17, 2012 7:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Odd. Over at adobe.com

I have spent hours going down rabbit holes on Adobes' site. I used the link you attached - thanks - and tried to Online Chat but could not get through. I have been to Tetra4D as I too saw Adobe has them as some sort of strategic partner. I have left a question to Tetra4D without word. I think they may be exclusive to AutoCAD and I am using SketchUp. I am willing to buy any software that will do what I want I just cannot find it. I am a month-to-month subscriber to Adobe Creative Cloud and am about ready to purchase the SimLab conversion program. I have tried one other conversion software called RPS but it had less control than SimLab and would consider Tetra4D if it was compatible with SketchUp. I have even started a conversation with SimLab to purchase the developer software option but I'm not sure my one semester of C++ is enough experience. I appreciate your input if you have any other ideas I'll chase them down. Thanks

Collapse -
Here's my bet.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 17, 2012 7:28 AM PDT

Maybe what you want is not a feature of 3D PDFs. You have discovered that Sketchup is not supported and since you are not a customer (you appear to have not bought their products?) then replies are going to be hard to come by.

If you did take the effort to call into their pre-sales and found no answer, then the word and answer is clear.
Bob

Collapse -
Your probably right.
by MarkKAPC / September 17, 2012 12:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Here's my bet.

My process has lead to the feeling that the 3D PDFs are the end game and for viewing only. The sales people gave me some guesses on which Adobe Creative Cloud software would work with the 3D PDFs - I could not find a way to load the 3D PDFs into any of the suggested software applications. So NO definitive answer probably equals - does NOT work. With regard to Tetra4D - NO answer at all from them probably equals - is not compatible with SketchUp. Thanks again for engaging me on this I will bang my head on wall until it really hurts. Having a little outside focus is a good thing.

Collapse -
PDFs are indeed the END GAME. They are the results
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 19, 2012 3:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Your probably right.

I see you have figured out that PDFs are the result of your work and not what we edit.

Sorry to repeat this but again, do not edit PDFs. Create them.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.