Samsung forum

General discussion

32 inch LCD TV series 5 (550). I have sound but no picture

by colehen2 / October 14, 2009 9:03 AM PDT

I have a 32 inch series 5 LCD that is less than a year old. Today when I turned it on I got sound but no picture. I've double checked all the connections and everything seems fine. I even tried playing a DVD and went to the AV source (blind, by memory) and still no picture. I am a direct TV customer but don't see how that would be a factor. Any ideas?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 32 inch LCD TV series 5 (550). I have sound but no picture
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 32 inch LCD TV series 5 (550). I have sound but no picture
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
32 inch LCD TV series 5 (550). I have sound but no picture
by Samsung_HD_Tech Samsung staff / October 14, 2009 3:00 PM PDT

If several inputs aren't showing any picture at all, call 800-SAMSUNG and set up a service inspection. Since you're under warranty, it's probably best to have a qualified tech take a look.

Collapse -
warranty is expired
by colehen2 / October 19, 2009 3:16 PM PDT

Unfortunately just found out that, although the T.V. was a gift and although I didn't actually take the set out of the box until the end of October '08, it was purchased in September by the giver so I'm out of luck. I was told it could be the T-Con board....any estimates as to how much a new one (plus labor) could run me?

Collapse -
550 series
by patruns / October 20, 2009 3:37 AM PDT
In reply to: warranty is expired

Sadly, this is a common problem with the 550 series. I had my main board replaced after 5 - 6 months and now it looks like it may be coming back again. I think Samsung should treat this less like an individual warranty problem and more like an across the board defect.

Collapse -
Same thing happened to us!
by dawnprincess / November 20, 2009 7:16 AM PST
In reply to: 550 series

We bought this set for my 91 year old mother who died shortly afterwards. Her previous big console TV had lasted 40+ years. This set got minimal use after her death and now 1 year and 5 months after its purchase we have no picture! Took to a repair shop ($85 to look at it) only to find that the lamp or whatever that burnt out would cost $475 to replace (on a set that cost $650 originally). Am currently negotiating my way through the jumble of Samsung complaints departments but will scream from the rafters to anyone who will listen to me not to buy Samsung products as they don't stand behind their product even when it's a lemon!!

Collapse -
TCON Lockup
by SmartDigital / May 26, 2012 1:45 AM PDT

TCON boards are known for going bad, but this is more commonly linked to a TCON lockup, which happens between the cable provider box and the component it is plugged into, ie., TV or stereo receiver. You need to ensure that the cable box is configured for 1080i or 1080p, (whatever the component supports, NOT auto). Also, ensure that the cable box 4x3 override is configured for 480p, NOT 480i.

It's my bet that this is what you are experiencing. A quick way to verify this theory, is to plug an HDMI DVD or Blu-Ray player into one of the HDMI ports of the TV, direct. If it displays the movie direct from the DVD player, you are certainly experiencing a TCON lockup between the cable provider box and your TV.

Collapse -
Same thing happened to me
by dawnprincess / November 20, 2009 7:20 AM PST
In reply to: 550 series

Just tracking this thread

Collapse -
by patruns / November 30, 2009 2:47 AM PST

Seems Samsung reps on here are not interested in keeping us up to date on this issue.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.