Windows Vista

Question

32 bit-OS on 64-bit Hardware. Why?

by Wei725 / October 27, 2012 6:03 AM PDT

I just notice that my Dell laptop is a 64-bit hardware (AMD Turion 64x2 TL-56 1.80 GHz) and the OS is 32-bit Windows Vista. I am wondering why Dell didn't put 64-bit version of OS on and didn't use the hardware for its full ability. If I want to install a 64-bit OS, I need to make a purchase of an OS.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 32 bit-OS on 64-bit Hardware. Why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 32 bit-OS on 64-bit Hardware. Why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Could be many reasons.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / October 27, 2012 6:10 AM PDT

Back then folk demanded this or that and the makers delivered what folk wanted.

My days with Vista 64 were short. We hung out on XP for years as we waited for Microsoft to correct issues and while we did have Vista in both flavors the 64 bit version was more pain than it was worth. I bet it was more stable by a little bit than the 32 bit but at no time did I think it limited the abilities of the laptops.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Probably
by Jimmy Greystone / October 27, 2012 7:48 AM PDT

Probably because the unit only shipped with 1-2GB of RAM, and was limited to a maximum of 4GB (I don't know this for sure, just speculating). So there'd really be no benefit to a 64-bit OS, and it'd just confuse people who buy some off-brand MP3 player or something, there are no 64-bit drivers, and then people complain that it won't work with their computer. The computer vendors are ALWAYS the ones who get the blame in these situations. I've worked for a major component vendor, and believe me, it's quite impressive the lengths people will go to in order to blame the vendor. Maybe you're not that sort, and if so I commend you, but the fact remains there are several people out there like that. One example that comes to mind is some guy basically threatening to never buy any additional products from the company I worked for if I didn't give him an upgrade to a newer model of the component. I told him there was no way I could justify doing that, because at the time he hadn't even submitted an initial RMA. So naturally when he tried to go tell the world what happened, he made it out like I was trying to deny him an RMA. Sadly I had to rise above posting the emails the guy sent me where he's acting like a jerk (if I'm generous). There was another case where someone sent in a component, there was physical damage to it which couldn't be repaired... The guy was offered two discounted rates for a replacement board, refused both of them, then wanted the company to send the part back to him via overnight FedEx on their dime. When you heard him tell the tale, somehow these little details got left out. I'm sure others around here who've worked a customer service type job could chip in with a seemingly endless sea of similar stories.

So say you're Dell in this instance. You load a 64-bit OS on there, and now you have to pay to have your support call centers tied up with people calling to complain about this sort of thing. We can complain about how most call center reps are poorly trained at some other point, for now it's basically that people with legitimate support issues are now stuck waiting even longer, and Dell is picking up the tab for the long distance charges, which will ultimately be reflected in the price of new products. While it would be wrong to act on it, we should all have the impulse to beat these people about the head and ears, because their selfishness is ultimately driving up the cost of goods for the rest of us.

Collapse -
Thanks for your info
by Wei725 / October 27, 2012 8:55 AM PDT
In reply to: Probably

Thanks Bob and Jim for your inputs.

I think the main reason likely is that few 64-bit applications available at the time. I may upgrade to Windows 7 in the near future. The laptop doesn't have a touch screen. So, it won't benefit from Windows 8.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the holiday

Find recipes for July 4 with these foodie apps

The Fourth of July means fireworks, fun and food. If you're planning on a barbecue this weekend, we've got the apps to help you find holiday-inspired recipes.