Windows 7 forum

Question

32 bit applicaton programs

by jerrywh1 / July 29, 2012 11:03 AM PDT

I recently brought a lap top with Windows 7 installed. Is there anyway top run 32 bit programs on it?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 32 bit applicaton programs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 32 bit applicaton programs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Absolutely.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 29, 2012 11:20 AM PDT

My 32 bit applications run just fine on Windows 7 64 bit with some exceptions for Antivirus apps, firewalls and such.

Those I replaced.
bob

Collapse -
answer
by jerrywh1 / July 29, 2012 8:14 PM PDT
In reply to: Absolutely.

Thanks Bob,
The program I was unable to install is "Links 99." I looked for a similar golf game, but the way you simulate swinging the club is differant in the newer games. To me; thats the heart of the game. I've wasted hundreds of hours playing this game and it's earlier versions, but I enjoy it. It seems that most of the newer games are made for game consoles rather than computers.

Collapse -
Apparently this title is picky on the video driver.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 1:46 AM PDT
In reply to: answer
http://linkscorner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=233055&sid=c366f458fda2e7a9213c13165f918fb5

Sorry but I have the barest of clues to work with but do see folk finding that the video driver version matters.

I don't want to upset you but if you wanted to discuss this title and any errors you would need to put that into your posts. BUT if there is a forum specific to Links, you would likely get a faster answer there as I don't have this title.

Back to your question. Most things work with some exceptions. It is rarely a 32 versus 64 bit issue.
Bob
Collapse -
apparently this title is picky on the video driver
by jerrywh1 / July 30, 2012 8:26 AM PDT

It's worse than that. I apoligize Bob, but when I put installation (setup) disk in this Windows 7 machine I got a message telling me that it was a 16 bit program. I know that won't work. Thanks for your time, and the link to the Links fourm.

Collapse -
I wish we had known about 16 BIT because
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 30, 2012 8:31 AM PDT

That's an entirely different discussion. For those I reach out and try.

1. DOSBOX

2. VirtualBox which I can install either a real DOS or some older Windows.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.