Phones forum

General discussion

3 Watt Analog Bag Cell Phones - Anywhere they can be used?

by videomaker2000 / June 29, 2010 2:31 PM PDT

Greetings, cleaning out my store room I came upon a box of 12 perfect condition Analog 3 watt bag cell phones. I know the USA has gone digital, but I was wondering if there are still uses for these phones?

Is there anywhere in the USA or Overseas where analog phones like this can still be used or sold? Any other uses for them? (Don't say anchors or paper weights, I'm way ahead of you!) :lol:

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3 Watt Analog Bag Cell Phones - Anywhere they can be used?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3 Watt Analog Bag Cell Phones - Anywhere they can be used?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Can't hurt to try to sell
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 29, 2010 9:45 PM PDT

While I can't say for certain, Analog phone service in the US have technically been shut down in the US since 2007 but there may be some countries in South or Central America that still offer service. Can't hurt to put 'em on eBay since someone may just buy them for historic value. Kind of like an old computer from the late 70's, nobody makes software/hardware for it but someone may still collect them.

Collapse -
Don't laugh
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 30, 2010 12:04 AM PDT

Such things are used as movie props. They don't have to work.

Collapse -
Movie Props
by videomaker2000 / June 30, 2010 2:46 AM PDT
In reply to: Don't laugh

You mean like my wife? :<)

Collapse -
Old bag phones
by sockeye3 / April 20, 2011 2:18 AM PDT

I realize the date of your post, but by chance do you still have any of the bag phones? I would be interested in buying one. They still work in SW Alaska. Thanks, Dave

Collapse -
bag phones
by Rosemack / October 18, 2011 12:39 AM PDT
In reply to: Old bag phones

I have two bag phones that I would be happy to sell for a small fee plus shipping if anyone is interested.

Collapse -
Are you still interested in bag phones?
by debjones54 / March 10, 2012 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Old bag phones

I have a Motorola 3 watt phone and antenna, if you're still interested. I believe it's a 4500 or a 2900 -- they're virtually identical, as far as I'm aware. I also have a second handset that's not working, but I think could be easily fixed -- it seems to be a loose wire connection.

I'm about to put these on eBay, but if you're interested, please drop me a line ASAP.

Collapse -
You read my mind
by AccessoryGeeks / April 25, 2011 5:56 AM PDT

I was just about to say paper weights. haha!
Do you perhaps have a picture. I would like to see what it looks like.

Analog is ancient history compared to digital technology, but I'm sure there are some people out there that would prefer the comfort of Analog.

Collapse -
Motorola 3Watts
by debjones54 / March 10, 2012 7:02 AM PST
In reply to: You read my mind

I also have a Motorola 3 watt analog phone with 2 handsets -- one works and one has a loose wire connection. Happy to send photos -- let me know ASAP as I'm about to put this stuff on eBay.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.