Windows 7 forum

Question

3 gig switch

by fourfish / May 26, 2013 4:29 AM PDT

how do i check in windows 7 home premium if the "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" command is working ok.

i used to be able to tell in xp because i was given the two boot options .

on windows 7 i`ve looked on computer/properties and the 3 gig switch and the normal boot in ,both give the same results as regards how much ram is on board ,which is 4gig installed and 3.3.25 gig usable

and task manager/performance gave both the same readings .

i tried a little app called openhardwaremonitor and that gave both similar readings ,....i`m confused.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3 gig switch
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3 gig switch
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Clarification Request
Is this a 32 bit OS?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 7:20 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 gig switch

If so, that 3GB switch only works for apps that were compiled in a very special way. We did that for one app and it was so crazy that we announced "never again" and my bet is not one app you have will be compiled this way.

This has nothing to do with usable memory reported in task manager.
Bob

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
don`t think you understood me, sorry
by fourfish / May 26, 2013 8:42 AM PDT
In reply to: 3 gig switch

i meant task manager gave almost the same results in both it`s own tests (can`t remember the figures)
simalarily openhardwaremonitor gave almost the same results in both it`s own tests ((can`t remember these figures)

in windows 7 computer/properties the "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" and the normal boot in ,both give the same readings ,which is 4gig installed and 3.3.25 gig usable

to me this would suggest "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" is not working .i have entered it in the command promt correctly and run as administrator,enter and re boot.
i would just like to know ,if there is some proper test which would tell me if the "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" is working ,i have searched but no luck . thanks

Collapse -
This does not increase those numbers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 9:36 AM PDT

All it does is allow apps to use more than 2.0GB and only when they are compiled in a very special way.

You have a good question but think about it. Has this OS maker failed you? That is, they didn't convey what this does very well and apparently I'm not doing any better.
Bob

Collapse -
PS. Does NOT increase those numbers.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 9:48 AM PDT
Collapse -
thanks
by fourfish / May 26, 2013 11:09 PM PDT

thanks for your reply ,i am not realy wanting to know how it works , but i would like to know how it could be proved that it is working ,i do not see any signs yet.
i used to run xp 32 bit with the 3 gig switch because i use the program cubase which nowadays can use alot of power and i could feel the improvement when the 3 gig switch was engaged.
i have left xp because of incompatability issues,
at the moment i don`t feel any difference with the "bcdedit /set IncreaseUserVa 3072" although at the moment i am being cautious .thanks

Collapse -
You must know how it works.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / May 26, 2013 11:58 PM PDT
In reply to: thanks

And that it will never show up in task manager as any change. If you don't want to know what it does then how would you know what it does?
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.