The CNET Lounge

General discussion

3/8/05 What browser will you use when IE 7.0 comes out?

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / March 7, 2005 8:40 AM PST

What browser will you use when Internet Explorer 7.0 comes out?

Internet Explorer 7
Firefox
Netscape
Opera
Other
Combination of IE and other
I have no clue what I'm using, it just works

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 3/8/05 What browser will you use when IE 7.0 comes out?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 3/8/05 What browser will you use when IE 7.0 comes out?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Win win for the user
by steed / March 8, 2005 4:31 AM PST

Hi Lee

I use Firefox and IE when ever I wish. I also try out other browsers. Opera, the new Netscape etc.
I do not think the release of the new IE 7 will make me switch back to IE exclusively. It is an open market out there. Competition in this area has only made the products better. It has made Microsoft work harder than the sometime coasting performance they were on. They have to care and so they improve their product. The end result is a win win for all involved

Collapse -
Firefox
by grennie / March 8, 2005 6:45 AM PST
In reply to: Win win for the user

i will always use something other than IE.

Collapse -
Micro$oft had its chance
by S.C.Mazzetti / March 8, 2005 7:52 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox

After downloading one security patch after another for IE and Outlook Express, I was grateful to switch to a product which is cleaner and more secure.

I,too, will always use a browser other than IE.

Collapse -
msie
by wakleem / March 8, 2005 11:04 PM PST

I don't care how good or bad msie is, the problem is one is forced to use it for one reason or another. I REALLY HATE that.

Collapse -
MS lost me
by Whit804 / March 12, 2005 12:01 AM PST
In reply to: msie

The ONLY time I use IE is for Windows updates. Other than that, I have no need for it. I don't care if they "fix" every issue with it, I will never trust it again. I use plenty of Adware/Spyware/Anti-Virus software now. Since changing to Firefox, I have not had any critical issues. I always had atleast one critical error whenever I scanned after using IE. I just can't trust it.

Collapse -
firefox
by elbofrance / March 8, 2005 8:29 AM PST
In reply to: Firefox

much faster than IE

Collapse -
Windows box has IE5
by jbatt / March 8, 2005 8:39 AM PST

My windows box has IE5 that was installed on it originally. I used Opera for a while but got tired of IE popping up with crap while I was trying to work. My linux box runs Opera and Firefox. Opera hasn't been used/upgraded since I put Firefox on last year. I also use Thunderbird for email and I've never felt safer. Anyone want to buy an old windows box? Wink

Collapse -
So far, only a couple minor snags... but better than IE6
by lwos / March 11, 2005 6:36 AM PST

Much, much faster than IE6, love the skins, and ease of use. Ran into a bookmark problem. Firefox transfered all "favorites" into their Bookmarks. I used the bookmark to log into Capital One via firefox. I got an message saying my current BROWSER couldnt gain access. Well, I manually typed in Capital One and Firefox opened the page with NO PROBLEM. So, I just deleted the bookmark that woudnt work, then reinstalled it. No more problem.
As far as I'm concerned, Firefox is here to stay, and I'm going to use it more and more. I'll still keep IE6 on my desktop as a backup. That way, you have nothing to lose.

Collapse -
Can't switch at work -
by klmmicro / March 8, 2005 4:42 AM PST

As IE 7 will not support my OS, there will be no switch in my workplace. Our company has moved on from IE over the last several months as the support costs of using it became higher than the percieved value. Now the new version comes out, but for us to use it we would have to incur more expense updating to XP-SP2. Sorry, but the browser is just not that high on the list of priorities and FireFox has filled our need just fine.

That said, at home I will probably load it. I might not use it often though. It seems that one in about 50 pages I browse are IE only and often I am able to find an alternative to them anyway. FireFox won my "browser war".

Collapse -
IE7
by rub / March 8, 2005 4:45 AM PST

When you get a 7, isn't that CRAP. There's only one thing that MS can do well, and that's screw-up. The difference between Firefox and IE is that you have a big bunch of people who care about Firefox and really want it to go, and nobody, and that includes the hacks at MS, either cares enough or is in a position to anything constructive. I've seen it before. That's one thing MS doesn't have a stranglehold on

Collapse -
IE 7 will never
by Tada / August 13, 2005 6:20 AM PDT
In reply to: IE7

MS said that they would release this summer 2005 but that was a lie just like Windows Vista is a lie. If MS wanted to improve there image that need to keep a dieline on releasing software. I will not download IE7 when it come out 2006 or 2007 or 20..? MS can not keep promises.
IE 7 is CRAP

Collapse -
Will you change your browser window ?

I have been using Firefox now for a little over a month and I really like it. For me I will not go back to Internet Explorer even when the new one comes out. I don't like using any of Microsofts stuff on my PC unless I have to. I have XP on it now, when I had it built for me Linux was not out so I had no choice but to go with Microsoft. If I could go and redo my PC I more then likely would switch to Linux.
I can never get answers when I am having problems with one of my programs through Microsoft.They also charge you an arm and a leg to just answer some questions. There Tech support is not very good. If I have problems I now try to find the answers myself. When I have had to call I could not understand the other person on the other end of the line as they were from out of the country.
Denise Jacobson
Kenosha WIsconsin

Collapse -
information
by marysduby / March 8, 2005 7:19 AM PST

SmartComputing has a library that is just grand you can get all the info. you need there

Collapse -
I just downloaded Netscape 8.0 Beta
by BILLBBM / March 8, 2005 5:37 AM PST

I'm a long time user of Netscape, and I find it so much faster than ie. In my opinion microsoft products are notoriously S-L-O-W.

Collapse -
Netscape 8.0
by revtate / March 9, 2005 7:58 PM PST

I will download 8.0 just as soon as they make it available for Macs. It looks like so far it will only run on Windows. I too have always liked Netscape, especially 4.7, so stayed with that until just last week!

Collapse -
What browser will I use when IE 7.0 is available?
by yelad38 / March 8, 2005 5:48 AM PST

combination of IE7 & Firefox.

Collapse -
I can't make my vote button to work in IE
by FrenchyHey / March 8, 2005 6:00 AM PST

And of course I can't make it work in Mozilla suite too lol must be a compiration.

For the record I would use Mozilla the grand brother of Firefox though that would have been a situation were one or the other would have work.

Must be my security setting but will not play with that just to be able to vote here ;).

Collapse -
Tried Firefox, but...
by KLINDER / March 8, 2005 6:11 AM PST

I heard all the arguments, and they made sense, so I did the big switch last summer. After a month I just got annoyed. I lost a lot of functionality that I'd enjoyed. I'm meticulous about taking care of my updates and security issues, and don't have problems, so I was real happy to return to the much-maligned IE. I LIKE it.

Collapse -
I switch to Firefox
by noslenil / March 8, 2005 6:25 AM PST
In reply to: Tried Firefox, but...

I switch to firefox about a month ago an so far I like it . I also installed it on other computers and so far have got very good comments from the user and I do not think they will want to go back to IE
I will have to see what IE has come up with but most likely will stick with firefox
tgnfl

Collapse -
Tried Firefox, but...
by marysduby / March 8, 2005 7:10 AM PST

I like IE ok but i also like the way Mozilla remembers passwords and logins i wish IE did the same and i would use it all the time

Collapse -
Password and Log in
by meanddeb / March 10, 2005 1:41 AM PST

I have no problem with IE remembering my password and Log in

Collapse -
IE is my base browser also, but
by kyga42066 / October 31, 2006 1:24 PM PST

I have IE6.0 already loaded in my computer, but I use Secure IE because I like the screen format and its windowing formats. Secure IE functions by using the base programming of IE6.0 and as of yet, I have not downloaded IE7.0, but I don't think it changes anything I already have in Secure IE.

I have tried Firefox also, but the main entertainment I have on my computer, Toontown, is not supporting Firefox browsers programing, therefore Firefox is worthless to me. When they do an interface adaption to Disney's Toontown, I may consider it. I am totally addicted to Toontown so for now, Firefox is strictly history.

Collapse -
After the demise of Netscape, Explorer got fat and lazy
by bobcooper / March 8, 2005 6:15 AM PST

Internet surfers would be foolish to trust Microsoft again after it's indifferent attitude to quality once it dominated the browser market

I'll take Microsoft's opponent's packaeges as soon as they are proven to be reliable just to ensure that Microsoft is kept up to its responsibilities. They've proved they will only provide the minimum standard if they can get away with it

Collapse -
What Brower will I use when IE 7 is released? Whatt is IE?
by Hir8ed / March 8, 2005 6:24 AM PST

FIREFOX OF COURSE! It's the only brower out there! I used Mozilla before Firefox and also before all the secutity flaws started the big secutity alarmss going off with Internet Exlorer. I'll stand by FIREFOX even after IE7 appears and it's updates, and updates, and more updates, etc., etc., etc. With Firefox I feel I have full control of my browser and browsing needs. I know it inside-out. How to make it MY BROWSER OF CHOICE... and I like it.

Collapse -
1 switch to firefox
by noslenil / March 8, 2005 6:32 AM PST

I switch to firefox about a month ago an so far I like it . I also installed it on other computers and so far have got very good comments from the user and I do not think they will want to go back to IE
I will have to see what IE has come up with but most likely will stick with firefox
tgnfl

Collapse -
3/8/05 What browser will you use when IE 7.0 comes out?
by marysduby / March 8, 2005 6:54 AM PST

I am using Mozilla on 2 computers but one has a large grey area underneath that says menu twice i would like to get rid of it

Collapse -
Browsers
by Stan Chambers / March 8, 2005 7:53 AM PST

Anyone who uses a Windows O.S. will need IE 7, or at least some version.
My primary browser is Firefox. It's quick like a fox and very dependable. It took a little time to become familiar with the settings and such, but it has proven to be as good as any and better than most.
I'll keep IE on the desktop for those rare occasions when it's needed, but will continue to use FF.
Just like a good prize fighter, if we keep dancing back and forth, between browsers, we'll be harder to hit.

Collapse -
Bobbin' 'n weavin'
by phillsawyer / July 7, 2005 11:23 PM PDT
In reply to: Browsers

...Dancing between browsers to avoid getting hit...

Nice touch.

Collapse -
Definitely Firefox
by JLP / March 8, 2005 8:00 AM PST

I think Internet Explorer is so behind Firefox that they will not able to catch it even when IE7 comes out. And by the time IE7 is out Firefox will be even better. Another reason why I will still use Firefox is that it is immidiately translated into my mother language, while IE is not for a long time. I also have more trust into security and stability of open source software. So, yeah, it will most definitely be Firefox.

Collapse -
Spell Check option in Firefox
by mjmdesk / February 23, 2008 4:16 PM PST
In reply to: Definitely Firefox

Automatic spell-check is such a valuable option in Firefox. If only IE could add such a simple add-on.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.