Forum Announcement

Welcome to the new CNET Forums! Please don't panic. You are not in the Twilight Zone, you are experiencing the new CNET forums platform! Please click here to read the details. Thanks!!

Windows Vista

General discussion

2TB hard drive, what do you mean my disk space is running low?!

by Lee Koo (ADMIN) CNET staff/forum admin / August 16, 2013 9:28 AM PDT
Question:

I have a 2TB hard drive, what do you mean my disk space is running low?!

On my desktop computer I am running Windows Vista. 10 months ago, I had my friend change the hard drive to a 2-terabyte hard drive, which is massive compared to my old drive. Now, I keep getting a message saying that I have low disk space? I have continually cleaned the drive, I've even deleted programs, but I still get the warning that my disk space is low. What gives? Am I doing something wrong, why is my hard drive filling up so fast?

I also went into the disk manager to see if my friend had changed the hard drive to extend the space for that 2-terabyte usage, but I did not know what to touch. Can you help me fix this problem, as I really don't know what the problem is? I also would like to take the system back to its beginning status from when I first got it.

Thanks for any guidance you can offer.

--Submitted by: Patricia C.
Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2TB hard drive, what do you mean my disk space is running low?!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2TB hard drive, what do you mean my disk space is running low?!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Open Windows Explorer & look for partitions
by wpgwpg / August 16, 2013 9:54 AM PDT

It's possible that when your friend installed your hard drive, he partitioned it so that your C: partition is much smaller than the total 2 TB. That's the first thing to look at. If it is indeed a single 2 TB partition, the next thing to do is to examine what is on your hard drive. You can start with Windows Explorer, but if that doesn't make it obvious, you can download the free program Treesize from http://www.jam-software.com/freeware/ and it will account for everything down to the very last byte.

Collapse -
Or possibly...
by JCitizen / August 24, 2013 4:21 AM PDT

Patricia may not know how to interpret the Disk Manager to see the partitions if any, or in fact if the old drive is still there, and the new one is a secondary drive. Usually when I do things like this for clients, I keep the old drive, and put the backup image for it on the second drive, and only make it bootable if the old drive fails. I also make the My Documents folder save to an identical folder on the secondary drive automatically, by redirecting it. She may already know this, but I'm just mentioning this for any newbies that may be reading this. Happy

Other wise here is a helpful illustrated tutorial.

http://www.7tutorials.com/how-manage-your-disks-using-disk-management-utility

Collapse -
Disk Space Low-Consider blotted Index file
by kleczerx / August 16, 2013 10:45 AM PDT

If you notice the C drive has suddenly showing Disk Space Low, then the cause may be because of a Windows search file "Windows.edb". The deletion is safe, but note the size of the file and calculate the space saving after you should delete.

The windows.edb file path is C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\windows.edb in Windows 8 ?

To enter the folder:
C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows

This file is generated by the index function to speed up the search, but the indexing file Windows.edb will continuously increase the file size possible reaching a few hundred megabytes or even gigabyte if not turn off in the Indexing Service. To completely remove and close the "Windows Search" service do the following.

First, disable the Windows indexing in Services and modify in Indexing Option.

Disable Windows Search in Services:
Start > type Services into Search > In the Component Service windows click on "Services (Local)" > in the middle of three columns at the bottom click the tab "Standard" > In this middle colomn look for Windows Search and Double-click > In the Windows Search Properties window click STOP > then at Startup Type select Disabled in the drop window > OK and exit.

De-Select Search Locations:
Start> type in Search "Indexing Option" > in the Indexing Option windows select Modify > for each item in the Summary of Selected Location click and uncheck the corresponding selection > continue each in turn until all is de-selected or make fewer choices > ... continue next...

In the Indexing Option window select Advanced > Look at the Current Loction for the file Windows.edb > click Select New > choose the location as Recycle Bin > Doing this releases the old Windows.edb file > now delete the file in its default location: C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Search\Data\Applications\Windows\windows.edb > exit...

Collapse -
Wrong OS
by netsiu / August 17, 2013 12:29 AM PDT

Patricia has Vista not 8.

Collapse -
Right Directory
by Skyrmir / August 24, 2013 12:49 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong OS

Windows 8 has the same path to the Windows.edb folder, but Admin privileges are required to get all the way to it.

Collapse -
Unless I'm mistaken...
by JCitizen / August 24, 2013 4:24 AM PDT
In reply to: Wrong OS

I was just reading an article on Windows Secrets the other day on how the indexing service goes wacky on Vista too! I could be mistaken.

Collapse -
Dude she can't even tell how much space in on her HD
by gsutton57 / August 31, 2013 9:37 PM PDT

Do you really think she is going to be to do this relatively simple set of instructions. The best advice for her is call Geek Squad or friend who knows something about computers because she is obviously incapable.

Collapse -
Please be kind in the forum!
by limiedot / June 9, 2015 10:18 AM PDT

I'm not a newbie, but I'm also not a techie either. I, too, have the same problem with my C drive on Vista, and yes, the instructions seem easy to you, but not so easy for some.

I urge you to please think and be considerate when using ANY forum.

Collapse -
This post is from 2013.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / June 9, 2015 10:23 AM PDT

I doubt if anyone is reading it now.
Dafydd.

Collapse -
Thank you.
by limiedot / June 9, 2015 7:24 PM PDT

Yes, but having the same issue, I've been doing a lot of research and have found helpful posts in earlier forums. I am one of the lucky ones to still have Vista, so the older forums have served me well. Never too late to learn a lesson for either gsutton57 or me...

Collapse -
Many possibilities
by Alain Martel / August 16, 2013 10:46 AM PDT

Was that drive partitioned? If so, how?
Is the original drive still present and the 2T one set as the second drive?

If the drive is partitioned, with a C: partition of about 50 Gb and a D: partition taking the rest. WHERE are located the various My... folders?

If they are on the C: drive, they can take all the place, but the D: partition is still empty.
In the explorer, right-click those folders and drag them to the D: drive. When asked, chose "Move here".
The content will be moved to the new location and the various My... shortcuts will get updated to the new location.

If you still have your original drive and that move was not performed, you need to do that move.

Be patient, moving all those files will take a while.

Now, the C: should have ONLY Windows, drivers and installed applications. D: is now destined to hold your user data.
By the way, such a configuration is MUCH safer. If the Windows installation ever get corrupted, then all your files will be safe on the other partition or drive.

If your friend actualy replaced the original drive with the new one, it's NOT possible to perform a factory restore as the needed programms and the installation image are NOT on your new drive.
If you need or want to restore your computer to a clean state, your only choice is to perform a normal reinstallation.

Collapse -
Hard disk space running out
by sunilsivanand / August 23, 2013 12:51 PM PDT
In reply to: Many possibilities

This happens most of the time in when Windows, creates new restore points. There is an option to request Windows to keep only the last restore point and delete all previous ones.

Collapse -
Complicated and unnecessary procedure for a non tech.
by elmarioc / August 24, 2013 4:31 AM PDT

If, as you mention, the "C" drive contains the OS and has a low capacity (50 GB, as you said), the easiest solution is to increase the "C" partition's capacity. Since the drive has such a large capacity, 500 GBs will be more than enough.

There are many utilities --some are freeware-- that can be used. A good one that comes to mind is 'PARAGON Partition Manager". I use version 12.
She may ask the friend who installed the 2TB drive to perform the task, that is, if he/she knows how to do it!!!

LMC

Collapse -
Or just use the Disk Manager..
by JCitizen / August 24, 2013 10:34 AM PDT

that she was looking at in the 1st place. It is quite capable of doing that same thing and sometimes more, depending on the operating system and service pack level.

Collapse -
To Many Possibilities
by hawkhuff / August 24, 2013 11:43 PM PDT

My 1TB drive is partitioned for a C and a D drive. The C is set up with 110 GB partition and the rest is the D drive. I am using Win 7 and when I tried moving these folders by right clicking on the my documents or my named user file it has no move command that will allow one to do this. It shows the create shortcut here command. I would like my C drive to have only the Windows, drivers and installed applications.

I have also tried changing the partition size because I wanted to increase the size from the 110 to 250 but the disk manager wouldn't allow this to occur. I tried this many times and I also tried it using Aesus partition manager (I think that was the name of the pgm) but it too wouldn't allow the re-partitioning.

Any suggestions for either of these issues?

Collapse -
Re: Too Many Possibilities
by Sadler / August 25, 2013 12:21 PM PDT
In reply to: To Many Possibilities

I recommend G-Parted/Parted Magic as it has many tools including one for resizing partitions, as well as boot managers that get systems to boot that otherwise won't. It does have 32-bit and 64-bit versions depending on your OS version. Oh and it's free.

Collapse -
Ask how your friend changed the hard drive.
by cbsimkins / August 16, 2013 10:51 AM PDT

The simplest thing is to clone the hard drive, say your old one to the 2TB drive. If this is what he did, and it depends upon how he did it, the odds are that your 2TB drive only has the size of the old drive. This can be changed but you need to understand what the Windows Disk Manager is telling you. If it sees the drive, which I assume is the only hard drive, then you will see that the C:\ drive is the size of the old one; say if the old one was 160 Gb, it will show something less than 160 Gb, but that is dependent upon how the size is read, it will be smaller by some amount. And there will be on that drive, a large amount of unused space, most of it in fact. So you can expand the size of the C:\ drive. You will see some space as unallocated or free. Click on the drive and make sure that you have backed up everything, which is something you should do before messing around with your computer drives. When you have a good backup of your critical files, and know how to recover everything, then you can click on the drive, and in the Windows Disk Management window, right click on the drive and you should see a choice to Extend Volume. You can click on the box and then hit Enter and the computer should go through the motions to extend the size of the volume, C:\ drive. There will be some choices as to how much to extend the volume but the default is to use all the drive. If you are confident that you have done this correctly, then you can proceed. If you are not confident, then find someone who knows computers and you can trust, and let them make the modifications. But be sure that you have backed up the computer to a secure setting.
One thing to think about is that you have a hard drive, which you replaced with the 2TB drive. You can get a portable drive case, mount that drive in the case and connect the USB cable to your existing computer and use that as a backup for your data. Your friend should be able to do all this for you, and should volunteer to correct the mistakes made in not expanding your drive size to a new dimension.

Collapse -
Windows Vista: 2TB hard drive
by GERRY RAINS / August 16, 2013 11:35 AM PDT

To a very large degree I am paraphrasing wpgwpg, but I want to go one step further. Basically you're going to have to talk to your friend. My 1 TB hard drive is partitioned into a C: partition, a D: partition, and a E: partition.

Let's suppose that your friend partitioned your hard drive, something which is very common and highly desirable with that large a hard drive. I am making an assumption here that your previous hard drive was not partitioned, so all files were in the C: drive.

Suppose you are running Microsoft Word and you have chosen to place all saved files in a folder called C:\WORDFiles. If you have not changed that, and if you have not changed where other saved files go, then you are saving all of your saved files in the C: partition and, if you haven't changed that then all of your saved files are going into the C: partition.

Frequently, when partitioning large drives, since the boot drive is the C: drive in most cases, your programs are saving all of your files in the boot drive and normally when partitioning you save nothing except programs in the C: drive. So the C: drive really doesn't have to be all that large. My best guess is that he partitioned the C: drive to be smaller than your old "everything" C: drive and that is running out of room. If that is the case the programs are totally unaware of the existence of the other partitions and thus, to your programs they don't exist.

One extremely simply thing that you can do is double click "My Computer", change the display form to "details" and see how big your C: drive is. I'll bet it's smaller than your old drive.

So you want to name the other drives, which is unnecessary but desirable, and then go back to your programs and have them save their files in the appropriately named partitions. My E: partition holds videos, nothing else. So it's up to you, perhaps with some assistance from your friend, to start steering the saved files into the appropriate partitions. Thus they won't be going into your C: partition. Of course you'll have to move those saved files that are stuffing C: out of C: and put them where they belong.

Anything that I left out was covered by wpgwpg. I doubt that your friend actually cloned your old drive. It would have been a very bad idea.

A lot depends on the competence of your friend. With the passage of time formatting and partitioning have become quite easy to perform, but they're not always performed in a desirable manner.

Stop deleting files. Happy You may want them later.

Collapse -
Re smaller C:
by Rick75230 / August 23, 2013 3:22 PM PDT

Just to give you an idea of Gerry Rain's point, I have a 57GB SSD with a huge number of programs. I'm talking about three office suites, plus a few other odd wordprocessors, plus about seven graphics editing programs plus PDF editing programs and dozens of other odds 'n' ends programs. They take up around 37GB. (I do move some of the "peripheral" files to another drive using "junctions". For instance, a number of programs install hundreds of megabytes of sample graphics files.)

Collapse -
disk space running low
by leumas2855 / August 23, 2013 7:57 PM PDT

Hi, I used to partition disks when they were a lot smaller, giving the c: drive an amount of space, maybe even a third of a disk. I found though, due to all sorts of upgrades, Java is one that springs to mind, which doesn't get rid of the previous version, that disk fills up very quickly. So, if you can afford it don't skimp on diskspace. As the cost perGB is so cheap now, I would run two physical disks, one of them just for operating system, the other one you can, if you want to partition into smaller bits, or even save your work elsewhere (cloud, another networked machine, an attched external storage etc)
There is another advantage to this: Some larger programs use scratch disks (temporary space used while working on a project), such as Adobe Photoshop. It runs much much better if the program is on one disk and the scratch elsewhere.
The other thing I've found with small c: drive: you need a certain %ig to de-fragment your disk and if you run tight it won't let you do this simple maintenance task.
Hope my two pennies worth are of help

Collapse -
Re: Gerry Rains
by Glenn51 / August 24, 2013 12:26 AM PDT

While I agree with about 99% of what you said, I found the part of partitioning the 2 TB into 3 drives both good and bad!

While good it is still only one mechanical device partitioned into 3 drives. Ergo here lies the problem. If the mechanical drive's motor dies, ALL 3 have died!

Unless you or the person with the original question backs up "religiously" all data on the mechanical drive is lost! All C:, D:, and E: data inaccessible! A dead drive motor is a dead drive motor. Was the drive spinning/ reading or writing? You could(?) have file corruption! Ergo scratched disk's!

I know hard drive prices have fallen and it is easier to afford a larger drive then ever before BUUTTT, to me it would have been better to keep the original drive for all programs, unless it's older than dirt, and add another drive to move and store "ALL" data files. It wouldn't necessarily have to be a 2 TB drive unless you have many, many songs or video files!

Either way, to preserve data, one should back up critical files on a regular basis! Whether one has one very large single partition drive or a very large multi-partition drive, DEAD is DEAD! Regardless of how one does it, BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP, All of the partition(S). My personal thought is to have separate 2 mechanical drives, one for the programs and one for the data! The chances of both drives failing simultaneously are "astronomical" to say the least!!! I think the odds are better to win the lottery.

To me buying a 1, 2, or 3 TB hard drive, unless you have a gazillion files no matter what they consist of, is like bringing a top fuel dragster to a lawn tractor race. TOTAL over kill! I know a lot of people just like Gerry think splitting up the drive into multiple drives is the way to go BUUTTT you have to weigh the consequences of drive failure into the equation! I'm in NO way condemning his choice or thoughts on that. I'm just trying to point out a word of caution on the matter.

Just my 2 cents on the subject.

Yes I know there are people shops that can retrieve the data but it isn't all that cheap! Cool

Collapse -
Totally how I do it too..
by JCitizen / August 24, 2013 4:29 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: Gerry Rains

no text

Collapse -
Not supported by Vista
by ebbtides / August 16, 2013 12:12 PM PDT

That about sums it all up. 2TB drives came to the market after Vista; with XP came a lot of differences too many to list here, but the short of it is, it's because you're running VIsta itself! The hive and structures are different.

Collapse -
Huh?
by netsiu / August 17, 2013 12:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Not supported by Vista

Makes no sense!
XP like 2000 with updates supports large drives. Vista was designed with large drives coming out so it was already ready.

Collapse -
We're probably SO FAR OVER Patricia's head (no offense)...
by JeffAHayes / August 23, 2013 9:48 PM PDT
In reply to: Not supported by Vista

Based on the context of the original message, I'm guessing Patricia doesn't know what a partition is, or that this can even be done to hard drives (and she wouldn't be alone; I'd guess 99% of computer users who've never done any of their own computer work and have simply bought them and had someone else do all the drive and OS installations, etc., don't know about such things).

So we need to begin by explaining partitions, but I fear that by the time we get where we're going, if Patricia is like the average computer user, she may be either too scared or confused to go any further, and the advice to call the friend who installed the drive and have them take a look may be the best bet.

If not, Patricia, in essence, each "partition" of a hard drive is, as far as the computer's operating system is concerned, a SEPARATE HARD DRIVE. So you could have ONE big hard drive in your computer (and even now 2 TB is still a fairly substantial drive size), but when you look on Windows Explorer it may show 2, 3, 4 or more drives are there, depending on how the drive was partitioned. Think of the hard drive like a big file cabinet. The original drive had only one drawer in it. Each partition beyond one is an additional "drawer."

You may wonder why someone would do things this way. There's good reasoning behind it. For instance, these days I generally just buy a "boot drive" big enough to hold my operating system and all programs I'll be installing, and get the fastest drive I can afford for that (a solid state drive, which operates at speeds close to the computer RAM, or memory -- MUCH faster than standard hard drives). Then I use second, third, etc. hard drives to store all my FILES (pictures, movies, letters, whatever) on.

The reason to do this is that we tend to copy, move around and delete pictures, movies and whatever other "data" files we have, but once we install an operating system or program, it's usually on the hard drive to stay -- at least until we upgrade it. All the "data" files (pictures, and so forth) that get continually copied, deleted and moved around make a sort of MESS of the space on your hard drive and slow down its operation (imagine paper that had pencil marks continually erased and then re-written in different locations -- except sometimes the drive actually splits files into pieces and puts a piece here and a piece there based on how space is available). That's not too bad if that drive has only DATA on it, since programs will still just open and close those files, and every time they re-save them, they will put them "all in one piece again" if they happen to be scattered around the drive in little pieces and they can find a continuous block of space long enough for the particular file(s).

IF, however, you have all your programs on the same drive with all your data files, then it's possible that all the little pieces can end up intermingled with bits and pieces of your programs and even the operating system, like Vista, in your case. When such a thing happens, the read head on a hard drive has to hunt here and there to load what should be consecutive pieces of an operating system or program. As you may imagine, in such a case, this will cause the system to begin running slowly and may even cause it to quit working correctly at all, if things get bad enough (or may cause some programs to quit working correctly and need to be re-installed).

So it's possible your friend created a partition for just Vista and the programs you install, and a second partition for all your DATA files. But the programmers at WINDOWS don't think like I (and many others) do. They still seem to think all Data should go on the boot drive, regardless. So they have Windows set to DEFAULT to set up Windows to put all your "my documents" folders on the BOOT drive (or partition). If your friend set up a smaller partition for Vista and your programs, but didn't bother to ensure all your saving is re-directed to the larger partition, then it's QUITE LIKELY that smaller partition has filled up. Even if you do set up a redirect, Windows will keep trying to force you to put data on the boot drive, so you may have to manually tell it to store on the other drive or partition (which is what I usually have to do). It can be a pain in the butt, but it keeps your system "cleaner" and better organized.

As I believe someone else also mentioned, it is also possible that the system wasn't set up for a drive that large. I don't think I got to a drive that large until I was using System 7, so I don't really know what sort of "dances" might be necessary to ensure Vista will properly accomodate a 2 TB drive, although it may do it natively. I'm pretty sure if it will it's the first version of Windows that does.

Good luck,
Jeff

Collapse -
Excellent Reply Jeff
by SirGalahad1 / August 26, 2013 3:42 AM PDT

Thank you for posting something that even as I (someone on the upper side of novice) can understand and making it helpful if I ever do something similar. I hope this helps Patricia as well.
SG1

Collapse -
Partitioning can cause this.

The first thing you need to do is find out how your hard drive is partitioned.

It could be a 2Tb hard drive but there may be a number of partitioning problems.

Firstly open "Computer" up and right click on the hard drive and click properties.

This will tell you how much space is available on the drive, how much is in use and how much is free in a screen like this

http://www.homeandlearn.co.uk/bc/win7/hard_drive/disk_properties.gif

If it says it is something like 1.89Tb or 1890Gb then it is a 2Tb hard drive and it has been formatted as 2Tb. Don't worry if it is slightly less than 2Tb this is normal, it's to do with the bytes to Gb conversion and nothing to worry about, if it does say any major difference like 1Tb or 1024Gb then there is a problem (the drive in the example pic above is a 500Gb drive even though it says 465Gb). Years ago people didn't tend to notice the couple of Kb's or Mb's discrepancies but as hard drives got bigger people started to notice the couple of Gb differences.

If your hard drive is 2Tb then you need to check the file system - make sure on the property screen it states "File-system: NTFS" not FAT32. If it is FAT32 you need to convert the drive to NTFS as you may be wasting a lot of space in FAT32. Windows can convert this for you - click start and click in the search box. Type CMD and press Enter. A black box will appear. In the black box type CONVERT C: /FS:NTFS (replace C: with whatever your hard drive letter is) and press Enter. At this point Windows will tell you it will convert the drive when the computer is restarted, click OK and restart the computer.

So if your hard drive is not showing the right size then that can be down to one of two things -

1. Your hard drive really isn't 2Tb - are you 100% sure it's a 2Tb drive purchased and not maybe a 2Gb SSD - similar prices, a lot smaller!

2. Your hard drive is partitioned.

If it's 2 - your hard drive might be partitioned.

Have a look in "Computer" and see if you have two hard drive icons (normally one is called C: and the next is called D: but that all depends on how the computer was set up). If you do right click on the other drive and click properties. You will probably find that the space of the two drives adds up to just under 2Tb.

If that is the case your best solution then is to drag and drop all your "My Documents" "My Music", "My Videos", "My Pictures", etc folders into this new partition. As you drag and drop them Windows will ask if you want to make them point to this new location just click yes.

After that you should be fine, and be using your 2Tb partitions in a good way.

If you haven't got a second partition it could be that it is just set up as "Unallocated space".

In this case you need to follow the instructions here

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/create-format-hard-disk-partition#create-format-hard-disk-partition=windows-vista

To turn the "unallocated space" into a working partition and then once you have it as a partition move your "My Documents", "My Music", "My Videos", etc folders into the new partition.

Important note - when moving folders over to the other partition - only move folders over that are in the Documents and Settings folder (i.e. the My Documents, Music, Videos, etc) - do not move folders over like C:\Windows or C:\Program Files as this can affect your system.

Collapse -
Not Enough Info
by Flatworm / August 16, 2013 10:48 PM PDT

You never told us how much data you actually are trying to store on that 2TB hard drive. If you are approaching 2TB of data, well, then it's not really indicative of any real problem other than the quantity of data you are actually storing.

But that's a WHOLE lot of data, and it's really not all that easy to consume that much space unless you're keeping hundreds of videos.

Look at your drive on "My Computer." I assume that the drive in question on which you are storing your data is set up as "Local Disk (C:)." If this appears to be significantly smaller than 2TB and nearly full, perhaps you have a second "Local Disk" with a different drive letter that is empty or nearly empty. This would be a second partition on your 2TB drive that is fully mounted but that you are not utilizing, which is a legitimate configuration but I doubt that it is the optimal configuration for your particular needs or you wouldn't have asked your question.

If, on the other hand, the only local disk you see are your C: drive and perhaps some other thing that some piece of software like Macromedia or connected device like a Motorola smartphone, etc., has set up (which will be obvious because it will not be named "Local Disk"), then here's what you should do in both of these instances.

First go to Control Panel/Administrative Tools/Create and Format Hard Disk Partitions. A window will displat asking you to grant permission to open the disk utility. Grant this permission by hitting "Continue."

A another window will appear. It will take a bit of time to "Connect to the disk service" but just wait it out. It will eventually display a graphical representation of your physical drives and partitions. The disk in question is in all probability Disk 0, but you should be able to tell by the size of the mounted disks in any event.

Assuming any second partition on Disk 0 is devoid of data, right-click on the representation of the C: disk partition volume and a drop-down menu will appear. Select "Extend Volume" and enter the amount to extend to incorporate the full available capacity of the drive.

This should solve your problem. Please note that you absolutely MUST back up all your data first before doing this, although it is unlikely that you will need to resort to your backup because the only thing that will be destroyed is the previously unused partition. The backup is still nice to have in any event, because in the immortal words of Monty Python's mobster character Luigi Fercotti, "T'ings get broken, y'know."

Collapse -
Especially video files..
by JCitizen / August 24, 2013 4:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Not Enough Info

It didn't take me anytime at all to fill up 2TBs with high-definition video.

Collapse -
Disk Space Running Low
by waytron / August 16, 2013 11:10 PM PDT

The "Disk Space is running Low" message can be caused be a large number of problems. The very first thing you need to do is determine exactly which drive the message is actually referring to. I have seen many cases where the main C: Drive was fine and it was the recovery partition that was filling up because someone inadvertently saved some files there or a backup routine was using that partition by mistake. This message may also come up if you have a USB drive or Camera card plugged in that is almost full.
To do this:
Open My Computer to display all of your drive designations and examine each listing to see which one is almost full.

If you find that it is your Main C: drive that is almost full then you will want to check to make sure it really is about 2TB. Your friend may have partitioned the new drive one of many ways or even left your old drive in place and decided to use the new 2TB drive as a separate data drive.

Unfortunately, without a lot more information it is very difficult to advise you on what to do or how to go about recovering the system to the original factory default status. Your friend may have lost the recovery partition when he installed your new hard drive, which would then require you to reinstall Windows Vista from CD's. If you do not have any original Manufacturer's installation disks then you would need to contact the company and order a set or purchase a new copy of Windows.

But before you can even consider restoring the computer back to the original factory setup, you really need to determine how your friend has configured your hard drive(s). I would suggest that you call him and ask him how he has it configured.

It would also be very helpful if you gave us the make and model number of this computer.

Dana
Wayland Computer

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.