Windows Legacy OS forum

General discussion

256MB of Memory Good Enough for Windows 2000?

by TuneUp / June 8, 2005 12:38 PM PDT

Does anyone here think 256MB of Memory is good enough for
an upgrade to Windows 2000 the bus for it is running at
133Mhz and im running Windows ME or would you recommend more memory for this type of operating system any help would be appreicated

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 256MB of Memory Good Enough for Windows 2000?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 256MB of Memory Good Enough for Windows 2000?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Depends on what you are doing...
by Edward ODaniel / June 8, 2005 3:47 PM PDT

with the OS. What applications you are running.

256 will get you started and depending on your applications may be all you need.

2000 is however an NT based OS and will perform better with additional RAM.

Collapse -
256MB is Plenty
by ledzep75 / June 8, 2005 6:25 PM PDT

You're not running XP!

Collapse -
Yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 8, 2005 8:58 PM PDT

But it may take a wee bit of patience. It's not bad.

For example, my old Acer ter-600 has only 256MB and I used it for years on the road to write software, do some video editing, picture editing, MySQL, and more.

It will be fine.

Bob

Collapse -
Yah.
by weAponX / June 9, 2005 11:38 AM PDT
In reply to: Yes.

I condure with thse guys, it will not really go much faster with more...

However, you CAN impreove perfomance a whole bunch, by installing a video card with Lots of memory, like an Nvidia or ATI 128 MB Video card... If you have only a PCI slot, a company called eVGA makes VERY good video cards, for around 40 to 50 bucks, that add 8x AGP to a PCI slot.

As a matter of fact, this computer I am typing this up on, is a Dell Optiplex GX1p, 500MHz P-III, 256 MB PC-133 Ram, and I stuck in a...

Nvidia Geforce4 MX4000 PCI with 128MB DDR - so of course thios whole system just JETS, I mean, I do a lot of data copy... Gigs and Gigs of data, 80 gig of data moved in about 1? hours.

So, YAH.

Yah, 256 MB, is fine.

SillyHappySilly :

Collapse -
I think it will do
by The_DayWalker / June 10, 2005 8:49 AM PDT

it will be by no means a jet setter but i have seen no great speed up on my system that was running 512 from another that had 256

Collapse -
yes
by ssgaye / June 17, 2005 4:54 AM PDT

but take note!
the more ram you heve, better the performance of your pc is.
the more applications you use, the more ram is utilized

In windows 2000, you can install a maximum of 4GB of ram
so if you install win 2000 and you are not ok with its performance, why not just add sone MBs to get to your satisfaction

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.