Car Tech forum

General discussion

2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland W/ Hemi

by armyvet1957 / November 15, 2010 11:36 PM PST

I just purchased a 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland. I was reading in this forum that previous Grand Cherokee has had numerous electrical problems.
I hope that they have fixed all these problems.
Has anybody been having problems with the new Jeep Grand Cherokee?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland W/ Hemi
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee overland W/ Hemi
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Keyless entry system problems
by brbra26 / August 20, 2011 10:50 PM PDT

I just purchased a 2011 GC about a month ago. While driving, all the lights and wipers began going crazy. I pulled over and restarted the engine. All was silent. The dealership told me to bring in my keyfob as that may have been the problem. Did that. A week later, it wouldn't open my car...I had to try the emergency key...the alarm went nuts. Dealership said to bring it in. I used the spare fob in the meantime... 3 days later, IT wouldn't work and worse, the emergency key would NOT turn the ignition. There I was with a honking car and I couldn't drive it! The tow guy (who had to be called) told me when he met up with me at the dealership, that the car had turned itself on twice on the tow dolly!!!!! The car has only 1800 miles on it... HELP? Lemon???

Collapse -
2011 Grand Cherokee
by PaulMilo / September 23, 2011 11:10 PM PDT

I bought a Limited Grand Cherokee in Aug 11. Diesel Engine.

<div>1. On 2 occasions I have come back to the car to find that it has unlocked itself and put the front windows down.
2. If I leave it for 2 days - the battery goes flat!

Collapse -
Electrical problems
by brbra26 / September 24, 2011 1:05 AM PDT

My problems were on a Grand Cherokee 2011, with less than 2,000 miles on it! I called the Lemon Law people and they worked with the dealership, and ended up replacing the main computer (forgot what it's called) in the car. Seems to have done the trick (crossing all fingers, toes, etc.). Everyone's still maintaining an "eye" on the situ.

Collapse -
2011 JGC Overland
by ncscooby / September 25, 2011 5:54 AM PDT
In reply to: Electrical problems

We started having the problems you described with our Overland a week ago. Only 350 miles on odometer. Battery warning light came on in the morning after the Jeep had been sitting in the garage over night. had it checked at dealer, checked battery and error codes. Nothing showed as a problem. Next night, driving home from work, all f the warning lights appeared, radio shut off, and the wipers suddenly came on and you could not shut them off. This lasted about a minute, then all was quiet except the battery warning light. When did you involve the Lemon Law lawyer in your process? In NC, the car is a lemon after 3 unsuccessful attempts at repairing the problem. Then you bring in the lawyer to arbitrate.

Collapse -
Lemon Law
by brbra26 / September 25, 2011 10:10 PM PDT
In reply to: 2011 JGC Overland

2 weeks after I had purchased the car, the above incidents occurred, but I had the engine light appear. I took it in 3 times thereafter, all within 1 month. The last time, I had to have it towed in and that's when it turned on by itself twice during the tow!!!!! I had about 1300 miles on it at that point. The dealership kept it and tried to figure out the problem, I had a rental on them. I contacted the Chrysler Customer Service/Lemon Law people during this time as I was worried and anxious this car would not or could not be repaired properly and didn't want it turning on in my garage and doing damage or asphyxiating my family! That is when the dealership called and told me that they were working with Chrysler. After the computer replacement, and ignition system replacement, I have now had a "normal" jeep for the past 5 weeks. I continue to keep my fingers and toes crossed, however! (The shame is that this is my 4th Grand Cherokee.. I drive them to about 95,000 miles, and have never had a problem like this. Good luck, and I'll keep my fingers and toes crossed for you too).

Collapse -
Alternator Cable
by ncscooby / October 3, 2011 12:47 PM PDT
In reply to: Lemon Law
Update to our Jeep..After our dealer kept our Jeep a couple of days and tried to recreate the events, they stumbled upon a loose alternator connector that was not securely plugged in. This loose connection caused unpredictable erratic behavior on our dash and unleashed the "possessed" wipers. Any bump that was significant enough to displace the connector caused the "gremlins" to appear. Have had the Jeep back 4 days without any mishaps. Fingers crossed her also.

Collapse -
Possessed Wiper Problem and Dead Battery
by Dave_Shotgun / March 3, 2013 7:10 AM PST
In reply to: Alternator Cable

My 2011 Jeep Grand Cherokee won't start anymore and the wipers are turning on like they are possessed. We gave the Jeep a wash on Tuesday and it was dead by Thursday. I wonder if our alternator connection is also loose, because the alternator is supposed to charge up the battery.

Collapse -
Dead Car
by Gunnar1111 / December 23, 2011 11:52 AM PST

Last Sunday after the car sat for 12 hours (2011 GCO) it was dead dead dead. Booster after booster could not get it to turn over - towed to Jeep dealer - he told me nothing was wrong!!!??? I am going back to try the loose alternater connection trick.

Collapse -
2011 jeep grand cherokee overland w/hemi
by kevinharman / February 8, 2012 12:59 AM PST

purchased jeep in may of 2011, had it in the shop about 15 times already for different censors. had to remove both gas tanks to fix the one problem they said its the only one in the whole us with this problem "great" also the 4 wheel drive keeps coming on and the traction control light and the tire pressure light which wont go off even after its been reset more then 3 times. they keep telling me theres nothing wrong? We will see just dropped it off today for the tire pressure light once again. They called and said when they started the car it was off i dont belive it maybe because its been in there so many time. (lemon law) but i will see when i pick it up today.

Collapse -
2011 Jeep Overland
by gboyz3 / December 10, 2012 2:57 AM PST

We've had a number of problems, all electrical. Had to have the entire seat assembly removed because the adjustment buttons wouldn't work. Once fixed, the auto-set features don't work. The push start ignition began to fail and we started using the key. That too has now failed. Unfortunately, we have put a lot of miles on the car so it is now out of warranty - though all the problems we have had are non-mileage related. Still look the look and feel of the vehicle, but really not trusting the electrical.

Collapse -
Electrical Problems
by Dave_Shotgun / March 4, 2013 10:13 PM PST
In reply to: 2011 Jeep Overland

I think that Jeep got carried away with all of the fancy, unnecessary electrical components in this vehicle. They didn't properly test their electrical components and now we are stuck with a vehicle that can start acting crazy and draining the battery at any time. This vehicle is built like a tank, and is supposed to be the most awared SUV, but they can't even get the electrical system to work properly. Unbelievable!

Collapse -
Jeep Grand Cherokee Electrical Problems
by GirardGibbsLLP / October 21, 2013 5:53 AM PDT
In reply to: Electrical Problems

Hi,

I am with a law firm that is investigating consumer complaints of electrical problems in certain Chrysler vehicles, including Jeep Grand Cherokees, Jeep Wranglers, Jeep Liberties, Chrysler Town and Country, and other models. If you are interested in assisting our investigation or sharing your experience with us, please email me at emo@girardgibbs.com or call (866-981-4800). You can also visit our website at http://www.girardgibbs.com/chryslerlawsuitinvestigation/

Thanks,

Ellen

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.