The CNET Lounge

General discussion

2009 Predictions

by robstak / December 10, 2008 9:05 AM PST

It's that time of year again...

Looks like last year we started this thread before thanksgiving, so we better get foretelling ASAP!

And while I'm still stumped as to what *I* think is gonna be huge next year, I'm sure BuzzTown is brimming with Tech Nostradomi...

So what do ya think?

-dr. karl

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2009 Predictions
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2009 Predictions
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Green Tech and More Broadband
by robstak / December 10, 2008 9:12 AM PST
In reply to: 2009 Predictions

Is it lame if I think 2009 is not going to have that many huge announcements? <drink>In these troubled economic times</drink>, perhaps this is going to be a quiet year.

If I had to guess, for now, (and I made this prediction last year, but it didn't really come to fruition), I'd say that green tech comes more to the forefront. With the new macbooks and the failing car companies, maybe we'll se a trend towards being more geo-conscious.

The only other thing I'd wager is more/better broadband coverage... im just worried about more capping...

we'll see...

-dr. karl

Collapse -
by Nicholas Buenk / December 10, 2008 11:12 AM PST

Was the year OS X, XP and the iPod came out.
And as Jason Calacanis pointed out on twit, down times are a good time to save costs and focus on R&D rather than expansion so you have a head start when the economy is back up. So I think we should still see good developments.

Collapse -
(NT) <crossing fingers>
by robstak / December 11, 2008 1:14 AM PST
In reply to: 2001
Collapse -
In 2009
by Balls_Maximus / December 10, 2008 10:04 AM PST

2009 - A
The year something terrible happens to cloud computing: "Something happen to GMAIL? No, that's impossible." As soon as everyone has this frame of mind, boom goes the dynamite, and we all get a lesson in redundancy.

2009 - B
Starcraft 2 brings world peace, and no employees are trampled on opening day because if Blizzard is smart, it will be able to be digitally downloaded.

2009 - C
Linux and Open Source lay claim to 10% of enterprise: Let's face it our work computers are getting old. Open Office is getting awesome, and Windows is getting cold. I'm looking for a big push by companies and school in Linux and Open Software.

2009 - D
Verizon will try so hard to push out an Iphone competitor they will get hemorrhoids, and the Blackberry Storm will develop an exploding battery or another such devastating flaw as a result of it's quick release.

2009 - E
Gas Prices will hit record lows, and people will start getting a false sense of security, and I will be able to sell my SUV before prices return to a constant level of $2.50 per gallon.

2009 - F
Microsoft will finally eliminate support for Internet Explorer 6, and IT departments in large companies would finally start to update browser software, but in doing so, the cost of upgrading in man hours would be equivalent to rolling out a new operating system for a few of the companies leading to the implementation of 2009-C (see above)

2009 - G
Thousands of Florida residents will be scammed into buying additions devices to assure their televisions will continue to work.

2009 - H
Twitter is purchased by facebook, twitter fanbase rebels, starts Tweeter and promptly goes bankrupt. Facebook appears to have won, but doesn't get away with changing the architecture, and just plain looses money for the next decade, while supporting the existing style and habits of twitter existing users.

All is well with the cosmos,
BM

Collapse -
Hmm
by Nicholas Buenk / December 10, 2008 11:24 AM PST

Green tech will get more common and hip. It will be regarded by the press as the next big thing and given more time. New administration that says that energy is a top priority up there with national security and the economy. Expect to see interesting things in electric cars and battery technology.

I doubt we've reached the bottom yet, in these troubled times (drink). But I expect the tech industry to do far better than the overall economy, as people will need entertainment and distractions and tech is relatively cheap in capital start up requirements, which is an asset assuming it continues to be hard to get a loan. And people will look for distractions and multi-functional devices to save money on getting a separate GPS device or mp3 player etc and all that (ie, good year for smart phones).

Consumers will keep complaining about the restricted nature of the app store. A future iPhone software update will bring a more open app platform and copy and paste.

Collapse -
Not too bad predictions from last year
by kwahhn / December 10, 2008 11:34 AM PST

My predictions from last year for 2008:

1. Wiis will still be difficult to find, so will non half-***ed games for that platform.
Yep, I called that

2. Touch screen iMac....yeah, not going to happen.
check plus for me

3. DVD will continue to be the dominant physical media format over HD-DVD and BlueRay. Torrent pirates everywhere will continue to laugh at those loyal to a physical format.
I'm awesome

4. Prince will stop being a dumb*** and will allow his likeness and music to be heard and seen everywhere for free. He will then appear at half time of next years Super Bowl and rock our socks off and cure world hunger AT THE SAME TIME!
damn, people are still hungry

5. The Zune will still be a laughable product. Creative Nomad II 4 LIFE!
can I call'em or what?

6. A lesser known game developer will come out with a Guitar Hero like game which will actually require some musical skill and develop that talent.
I believe there is a computer game that does this

7. 3G iPhone. Not all predictions can be funny.
a blind dog could have predicted this

8. No more DRM. Doesn't really matter since everyone who's been on the tubes has already downloaded all the songs that have every existed in the world for free.
ooooh, so close. so close

9. Tiered Internet, Molly goes postal.
meh, 7 outta 10 ain't bad

10. Skynet switches to solid state drives, one step closer to world domination.
Oh it's in the process my friends

Collapse -
My predictions for 2009
by kwahhn / December 10, 2008 11:51 AM PST

1. One of the BoL crew will depart the show and I will be forced to choke a cow.
2. Copy/Paste will still be a no go for the iPhone
3. Two words: Harmonica Hero
4. Nobody buys Yahoo. Hell, I wouldn't spend a Sacajawea dollar for that cow pie.
5. Window's Mobile 7 will be the Vista of it's day.
6. The Laptop battery bomb scandal will continue to rock our socks off in 2009 .
7. Netbooks will be laughed at by years end. Seriously folks, I think tiny pianos are cute, doesn't mean I want to play on one.
8. Another bad Video game to Movie pisses in our Corn Flakes. Makes 10 million dollars at the box office but costs 200 million to make.
9. Nintendo wii continues to underwhelm us all. Video game world collectively comes to the conclusion they gamers are lazy by nature don't want to leave the couch seat...EVER!
10. An effective online TV network/movie model will be born that will rival hulu.....JK....there's still too many DVDs to be sold.

Collapse -
(NT) Time to choke that cow. :(
by kwahhn / February 13, 2009 1:21 AM PST
Collapse -
The Zune is a laughable product?
by Slikkster / December 10, 2008 10:28 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) I'm sorry I insulted your Zune. :(
by kwahhn / December 10, 2008 10:53 PM PST
Collapse -
heheh
by Slikkster / December 11, 2008 1:31 AM PST

I have a Sansa E280...it's got the "Rhapsody to Go" service option on it. I'm just watching out for the cheap shots, that's all.

Collapse -
Predictions
by DaveBinM / December 11, 2008 5:51 AM PST

1. Windows 7 will be pretty good

2. iPhone will hit 32GB

3. Australian Internet Filter will get canned

4. Blu Ray players under AU$250

5. Zune gets released in Australia

6. Gmail comes out of BETA

Collapse -
Gmail comes out of beta???
by toosday / December 24, 2008 7:03 AM PST
In reply to: Predictions

That would be worthy of throwing a party!

Collapse -
Wishes!
by mcharge / December 28, 2008 8:25 PM PST
In reply to: Predictions

I think that all of those should come true, however i think that the iPhone will not get upped to 32GB because of the topsy-turvy that Apple is going to go through when Steve Jobs leaves.

The Australian Net Filter is going to be supported by Telstra (to say "stick it" to the government) and we will be under its awful wrath until someone comes and kicks their behinds.

Windows 7 will be "terrible" until we get new hardware, but microsoft won't be able to recover from the PR hit they took over Vista and they will become and smaller company. (Woo!)

Collapse -
Well...
by Nicholas Buenk / December 29, 2008 6:49 PM PST
In reply to: Wishes!

iPhone is gonna get to 32GB sometime, moore's law. Just a question of when.

Telstra already doesn't support the net filter, refused to join the trial program. And it's probably not going to be passes by the senate anyway, lacks support from the greens and liberal party.

Windows 7. Finally a major update to the tadkbar. I think it will be received well.

Collapse -
Windows 7
by toosday / December 30, 2008 3:27 AM PST
In reply to: Well...

I think Windows 7 will be received well if Microsoft takes the PR into their own hands and stop letting a competitor define them (which Microsoft is slowly starting to do). Windows Vista kind of failed not just because it was bad, but because Microsoft never told their basic home users that it was good.

My thoughts anyhow Happy

Collapse -
its just a spec bump
by minimalist / January 2, 2009 10:13 AM PST
In reply to: Wishes!

It's not as if the the whole company will throw their hands up in the air in the air and say "well what do we do now"? :-P

I mean they've been doing these things once or twice a year for a decade or so. I think its safe to say Apple has the routine down by now: keep price the same, bump the specs. This isn't rocket science.

Collapse -
2009 Predictions
by wizkids32 / December 11, 2008 7:01 AM PST

iTunes will get rid of DRM by June.

Collapse -
Poor Jason...
by OskarSigvardsson / December 11, 2008 1:10 PM PST

Remember one of Jason's predictions was that HD-DVD would come out as the winner of the format war, and then three weeks later he was proven wrong? Poor guy, Molly's gonna mock him mercilessly!

Collapse -
High Risk but High Reward Prediction #1: Google buys NYTimes
by Francis_Burdett / December 12, 2008 4:34 AM PST

Even I don't think it will actually happen, but if it did happen in 2009, I'd be a financial seer for the ages (or more correctly, the guy who actually mentioned this on his blog would be a seer for the ages)

http://www.thedeal.com/dealscape/2008/12/could_the_stars_be_aligning_fo.php

"As the New York Times Co. is negotiating with lenders over its debt, speculation has been floating around the blogosphere, pushing the premise that Google Inc. should acquire the beleaguered Gray Lady. The thesis (or, rumor, as some would put it) has been around since the beginning of the year, with SpliceToday on Thursday reintroducing the idea of the unorthodox union of the stalwart of old media with the scion of new media."

This takeover makes little direct sense on an operating basis but on a _cultural_ and political basis Brin and Page might be compelled to "save" the Times from Rupert Murdoch.

Collapse -
Save it from Murdoch?
by Slikkster / December 12, 2008 7:27 AM PST

Not sure what that's supposed to mean. I get the WSJ every day, and it's got some great articles on all kinds of subjects. Sure, there's the editorial page, but that's where the politics end. Is Murdoch responsible for the WSJ layout? No, but he didn't mess with it, either.

As for Google buying the Times, I'd say that makes very little sense. What does Google know about news reporting, other than to aggregate others' work? Newspapers are going under all the time. It can't all be blamed on the economic downturn, either. There's too much free info on the net. The companies need a better business model. Unfortunately, it's probably too late.

Collapse -
"save" in quotation marks
by Francis_Burdett / December 12, 2008 12:22 PM PST
In reply to: Save it from Murdoch?

I am agnostic as to whether Murdoch or the Sulzbergers would make a better steward for the Times.

However there is a large segment of the Times readership (to say nothing of its editors and reporters) that would as soon jump in the Hudson as to have the Times pass to Murdoch.

Thats why I said "save"

But I totally agree that buying the Times or _any_ newspaper at this point is fool hardy from an economic stand point.

But the Times might not be looked at in a purely financial light.

Collapse -
It's Ironic...
by Slikkster / December 12, 2008 7:15 PM PST

It's only my opinion, of course, but I think the Times has far more political bias creeping into the "news" pages than the WSJ. That's unfortunate, as it IS the "paper of record", and has some tremendous talent. Geez, all I want is the news, as unfiltered as humanly possible. I don't need the Sulzberger's POV, or Murdoch's, for that matter. Now, that said, this isn't to say none of Murdoch's papers don't push a bias! The NY Post is all right-wing stuff, save for a very good sports section. But the more you get to know about Murdoch, the more you see that he's not so much a political animal, but a capitalistic animal. He knows where the niches are. Plus, he's now big on the "Green" movement, and actually had a fundraiser for Hillary Clinton's last Senate run, for crying out loud. This, while the Post thinks nothing of bashing her all day, lol.

But anyway, all of this digresses from the predictions thread, so I'll leave it there.

Collapse -
Some of my predictions
by mementh / December 12, 2008 2:38 PM PST

Jonathan Coulton and Amanda French make a duet album for online and has a good chance of getting a greedy publisher to make them a offer but they refuse and sell there music online and make more then they could at the publisher.

Starcraft 2 and Diablo III (two seperate predictions here) underwhelm due to so much publicity and to little public hands on (or the wrong focus groups)

Runescape gets into next years GOOGLE Zitegiest (bad spelling will continue for Mementh)

AlaCart Pricing will not come to cable TV's but Package pricing will either be released or announced (cable employee here @ comcast but nothing inside knowlage tells me anything yet this is just what I hope)

Tivo comes out on Comcast!!!! Either as a new box type to rent from Comcast or as a upgradeable option that can be rented seperatly.
(saw a photo from one of the test areas of a remote for a Comcast Tivo remote)

Gas goes under $1.00 and the economy either stabalizes or starts to get better.

more later.

Collapse -
Sounds pretty good to me
by DaveBinM / December 12, 2008 9:00 PM PST
In reply to: Some of my predictions

I'd love to see most of that come true!

Collapse -
Not possible
by Nicholas Buenk / December 13, 2008 11:24 AM PST
In reply to: Some of my predictions

The moment the economy gets better the gas price will shoot back up. Especially with like lack of investment in production due to the price plummet and difficulties in getting loans, these threaten oil production increases to fall below the rate of production decline in established sites! Falling production on a growing economy, would mean back to over $4.

Collapse -
Oh, I understand, but...
by DaveBinM / December 13, 2008 9:34 PM PST
In reply to: Not possible

I did say I'd like for them to come true, not that they would.

Collapse -
if gas goes back up
by mementh / December 14, 2008 5:15 AM PST
In reply to: Not possible

if gas goes back up then people will start spending less again..

literally it can't imho.. the REAL market for CONSUMERS was kiled byt the gas price imho (stupid person here)

Collapse -
It's the most wonderful time of the year!
by skimike4 / December 14, 2008 11:04 PM PST

I love a good prediction show, I really do.

Last year I predicted:
- Vista will DIE. Windows will yank it off the shelves completely.
(not quite, but Windows 7 is coming soon)
- Live TV online
(Not really. NBC streaming weird angles of football games doesn't do it for me.)
- Beatles on iTunes
(i know nobody cares, but this still befuddles me)
- The SDK for the iPhone will launch iPhone sales into the stratosphere. Soon, even Molly Wood will drool over an Apple product. Well, that might be asking a lot.
(Called it. Molly got an iPhone. Nothing like a good App Store to hook 'em.)
- And you heard it here first, Veronica will return to BOL at least part time.
(Well, I have 16 days left....)

Collapse -
And for 2009, I predict...
by skimike4 / December 14, 2008 11:11 PM PST

- Nothing big will happen. Really. I feel like, in these troubled economic times (drink that eggnog), with companies slashing payrolls and R&D budgets, can anyone really afford to develop and, more importantly, market anything anymore? I think until the market improves, 2009 will be the year of the status quo.

Having said that, I predict Molly will throw away her iPhone in a rage and get a blackberry instead.

Also, Molly will have another baby. Two is the right number.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.