Car Tech forum

General discussion

2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Dies ONLY when hot outside

by boomer415 / September 13, 2008 1:19 AM PDT

We have a 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 4.7L that keeps dying when it is hot outside. No warning, it is not overheating, there are no codes, and it doesn't matter what speed you're going. You can crank and crank and it will not start. You have to sit for 3-5 minutes on the side of the road, without cranking it and then it will start again. We recently just spent quite a bit replacing immobilizer, key sentry -still happening. We tried the whole screws of the computer thing that is posted in this forum - still didn't work. The thing is - it is ONLY during the hot part of the day. Never happens at any other time. Let me know what you think it could be. It's driving us crazy, and like so many of the rest of you, we're about to drive it off the cliff. PLEASE HELP!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Dies ONLY when hot outside
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee - Dies ONLY when hot outside
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hmm..
by artjockey / September 17, 2008 4:28 AM PDT

Maybe you should try seeing if the fuel pump is overheating. Does it still break down if your tank is more than half full?

It could also be a broken temperature sensor somewhere, but this is very unlikely. Its probably something that has to do with the fuel injection system.

Collapse -
00 JGC Stalling Only When Hot Outside
by boomer415 / September 17, 2008 5:40 AM PDT
In reply to: Hmm..

It breaks down no matter how full the tank is. I was thinking it was the fuel pump too but am no mechanic. How would I go about finding out if it is the fuel pump that is overheating?

Collapse -
dies when hot
by cabaz25 / May 26, 2010 7:48 AM PDT

my 99 jeep does the same,cant be be the fuel pump,might be a sensor.the tran over heat light comes on.no clue any ideas?????

Collapse -
Same here...
by Dannyhrndz24 / April 1, 2011 1:05 PM PDT

I have the exact car w/ the exact problem .... If u guys already fixed it plzlet me know what the problem is .. I know it wasn't the fuel pump cause i bought 2 new ones and it still turns of on me .. Plz someone help meee!!!!

Collapse -
Jeep dies or stalls when hot.
by Ink-inc / July 14, 2012 8:56 AM PDT
In reply to: Same here...

There are numerous issues with this vehicle, I still own one. If its only happening when warm and there are no codes for the check engine light OR a number of erroneous codes this would tell you there are multiple problems. The first thing to check is the battery connection from the main wire harness. Most 1999-2004 jeeps wire harness is elevated an heavy, the vibrations will cause a hair line crack and will cause various error codes depending on what was drawing power at the time. Once this is checked, check your MAP sensor, then you EGR. A couple of other possibilities are crank or cam sensor.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.