Car Tech

General discussion

2000 Jeep Cherokee intermittent engine cut-out

by hessehjeep / June 11, 2007 3:02 PM PDT

2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4x4, 4ltr, 130k miles:
Intermittent engine cutout:
Sometimes engine keeps running after a momentary cutout:
But if engine stalls it can be restarted immediately:
Happens only a couple times a week and no more than once or twice a day even when driving long distances:
No computer code is thrown:
All instruments stay on except RPM will go down:
No warning lights.
Re-plugged all engine harness connectors,
Replaced Automatic Shutoff Relay,
Replaced computer?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2000 Jeep Cherokee intermittent engine cut-out
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2000 Jeep Cherokee intermittent engine cut-out
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Jeep Cutting out
by hardygr / August 7, 2007 6:39 AM PDT

Hi,

Did you ever get a solution to the problem? The same thing is happening to mine.

Cheers

G

Collapse -
by jdonline / August 28, 2007 4:40 AM PDT

Did you notice anything change when you replaced the computer? What was the module number for the part in question?

Jeep Engine Locator
Mobile, Alabama

Collapse -
problem solved
by hessehjeep / August 28, 2007 3:13 PM PDT
In reply to: reply

problem was solved by replacing the crank angle sensor

Collapse -
help
by iGreg718 / July 3, 2010 12:09 AM PDT

i have the same problem with my jeep greand cherokee
i change the crankshaft position sensor and same thing
it idle between 800 to 500 rpm
and driving it for 15 mins it shut down but it start right back up

Collapse -
Any Luck
by d-shot / December 23, 2010 8:39 AM PST
In reply to: help

I have many of the problems that everyone else has posted. I couldn't pass smog and when I went to mechanic, they told me it was my IAC Motor. Paid $200 and replaced that and still kept tripping "check engine" light. Took it to Jeep Dealership and they told me my PCM was bad. Paid $800 to replace that, and had no problem passing smog. Weeks later, we began to experience the intermittent stalling. I replaced crankshaft sensor, and had no luck. Called Jeep Dealership and they told me that if the PCM was bad, it would throw a check engine light.... I am taking it back to them and having them troubleshoot the PCM. Never had stall problem until they replaced PCM.

Collapse -
hope this helps
by levi12343 / January 1, 2011 12:28 PM PST
In reply to: Any Luck

ill let you in on a secret from jeep the dealers shop wont even have an i deal about and i dont know why guess its a money thing but if your stalling out and youve replace everything under the sun like your plugs coil crank sensor and cam sensor and that dont work it could be a fuel filter or a fuel injector which all of that you can have checked with a scan tool or you can turn your key on and off 3 times and where your mileage is will give you a code then you can go to the obd-2 trouble codes site and get the results if it is the code 340 which is what it sound like tou could have one of three things you have a bad sensor bad coil pack or the thing the dealer ship or mechanics cant find because most dont know no more than they read or they trouble shoot buy cahnging parts around. with that being said try replacing your oil pump drive unit most mechanics cant even find it but it the thing that run the circuit of info in the sensors listed above its about $280.00 for the part you cant buy it from auto zone or advance auto its a dealer part they might have it in stock if mot it will have to ordered if you know anything about vehichles you can change it or have some one do it for you it is located nuder your camshaft position sensor it should have one or two bolts and a gasket when you replace it it has to go in exactly the way it came out hope this helps plrase pass this information along to the next person with the same problem thank you

Collapse -
2000 jeep cherokee intermittent engine cut out
by mjhdge / April 26, 2011 6:31 AM PDT

we are at our wits end with the same problem you are having!!!! it has been into the jeep dealer several times and they can not figure out what is wrong..it is dangerous when you are driving down a highway and the engine cuts out. if your problem was solved i would love to know what you did. Thank you

Collapse -
Stalling issue on 2000 grand cherokee
by sMUGGSKIER / September 15, 2014 12:59 PM PDT

Replace your CPS Crankshaft position sensor... Fixed my stalling instantly!!!!

Collapse -
2007 jeep grand cherokee stalling ideling bad issue
by Raysix / April 4, 2015 5:58 AM PDT

My 2007 grand cherokee would idle or stall mostly when i was moving slow in traffic or at a fast food drive thru on hot days so i put a bag of ice under my hood directly on the computer and so far as long as i keep ice on the computer my jeep runs smooth its only been a couple days so maybe its a coincidence , but in a couple weeks i will repost if there are any changes. If it continues to work i place a small igloo cooler over the computer and run a air duct threw the firewall from my a/c duct from the cab to resolve the problem unless anybody else has another angle on this or idea please let me know.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Tired of your tricky Wi-Fi password?

Stop trying to memorize a complicated sequence of numbers and letters. Learn how to change the default password.