Computer Help forum

Question

20 min for computer to boot

by Shaneomacky / March 7, 2013 8:52 PM PST

This started about a week or so ago now.
I restarted my computer last week to finish some updates, and it took roughly 20 minutes for it to boot up. The computer was running, but i had nothing on the monitors, and no lights on the keyboard or mouse.

I ended up replacing my hard drive since it was fairly old and as well as my power supply since it also was the same age as the hard drive. The first time i turned my computer on after that it didn't take as long, but still took longer then normal, and as of today, it was back up to its normal 20 minute boot up.

So, im not sure now if that means that i could be my motherboard or even my video card. I know of late my video card is running warmer then usual while gaming.

ATI 5870 - Idle 62-64
- Gaming 85-87

And the motherboard is a
Asus p7p55d le

The rest of the computers stats are

Processer- Intel core i5
RAM - 4GB
Windows 7 pro 64 bit

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 20 min for computer to boot
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 20 min for computer to boot
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Just saw one like that.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 12:04 AM PST

It turned out that after a few days it returned to normal. I don't want to go into what we think it was but after any update, a long boot may occur.

If this is unacceptable, you may want to consider another OS?
Bob

Collapse -
vid card maybe?
by Shaneomacky / March 8, 2013 12:35 AM PST

I thought that it could have been an update..i couldnt tell since i had nothing on the monitors. But what concerened me was the lights on the keyboard and mouse were off. And with the OS, i went from windows 7 32 bit home to windows 7 prof. 64 bit after changing out the hard drive.

I would have thought that if it was in fact, the motherboard that i would be having other issues elsewhere, which im not. The only thing that seems a bit odd is that my video card heats up more then normal now. while playing games like WoW. even after cleaning out every possible vent. And even now, its idling at 66...

Collapse -
Even my other laptop took longer this week.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 12:44 AM PST
In reply to: vid card maybe?

Remember I don't have a clear picture of your machine's issues or if you accepted any driver updates from MSFT (my advice is never do that.)

But since you told a bit more so will I.

The machine in question received a .NET update and in the boot and background we found "mscorsvw" churning away slowing down this machine. According to MSFT it should not have had such a deleterious effect but letting it finish and a day later it was back to normal.

This is not saying that's it in your case but it was a suspect on this machine. Normally we would just uninstall .NET and be done with that but we use .NET apps so it had to stay.
Bob

Collapse -
Slow boot up
by wippernm / March 8, 2013 10:46 AM PST

Have you checked your hardware. If you have a CPU fan that is acting up, this might be part of your problem. If you CPU heats up too much, the computer will not boot properly. If the fan is off and on, you might boot one time and not the next.

The other might be heat or a failing power supply. It might be overheating because of a failing fan or component. It might be supplying different voltages to the motherboard.

Fans are cheap. If you think that this might be the problem I would replace it.

It you think it is the power supply, you might want ot invest in a power supply checker. Some of these are very inexpensive and can give you direct reading from all or most of you connectors. If you find that you voltages are not correct, change the power supply.

As always, check for startup programs, think about corrupted CMOS, viruses and malware can also play a role. Use dependable software free or paid to provide a balance for these problems. If you think it might be the CMOS, you may want to find someone who knows how to do this properly. A bad install can cost you big time with down time or damaged equipment.

Collapse -
The laptop fan was fine.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / March 8, 2013 1:23 PM PST
In reply to: Slow boot up

I shared what it was and wonder if you are asking me about the fan or the original poster. When you click on the reply button, reply to the OP if that's what you want to do.
Bob

Collapse -
Answer
Strange boot times
by mjd420nova / March 8, 2013 11:10 AM PST

Often, after a unit has aged a few years, the pluggin cards will begin to work their way out of the connector slots. Toss in a few dust particles and you have a piece of hardware on the bios list and it can't find it or it isn't responding properly. The BIOS will spend a pretty extensive time trying to assign an error code. Heat cycles will continue to try and work cards out of place. Another fault could be a failing device but if the BIOS doesn't give you a code, it would be a a card by card replacement to find the fault.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

CNET Forums

Looking for tech help?

Whether you’re looking for dependable tech advice or offering helpful tricks, join the conversation in our forums.