Computer Newbies forum

General discussion

2 questions re: slow laptop, and what is Otto?

by cfriemann / February 21, 2010 10:43 AM PST

Hello all,

I'm trying to speed up my Toshiba laptop running XP. When i boot it up, it's impossibly slow once I get to the desktop (takes forever to open a program & firefox).

Looking for tips on how to remedy this.

Also, in looking for programs to delete, hoping to speed up things, I found "Otto" in my programs list. What is it?

thanks very much! _Cara

Toshiba Satellite
Centrino Duo processor

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 questions re: slow laptop, and what is Otto?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 questions re: slow laptop, and what is Otto?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
How much RAM ...
by Edward ODaniel / February 21, 2010 11:35 AM PST

is installed on the laptop?

How many services and startup applications are running under the processes tab in Task Manager?

What is "a program and firefox"? A humongus database and firefox (which is notoriously slow to load in the first place)?

Give us some specifics to work with.

Regarding Otto, it is generally found to be a games related application connected to Wild Tnagent and is often found on Dell computers (don't know about how common it is with Toshiba but if you or someone else has ever installed anything connected with Wild Tangent that would explain its presence). Here is a link to assist in your research regarding Otto -

Information concerning Otto and Wild Tangent including removal

Collapse -
ram etc
by cfriemann / February 21, 2010 12:10 PM PST
In reply to: How much RAM ...

RAM= 1.66 GHz, .99 GB
77 processes listed in Processes tab

By "programs" I mean when I click on a program to open it, such as Word, or Firefox (that is pretty much all I do aside from downloading music occasionally).

I run Avira Antivir, Ad-aware, CCcleaner, Comodo Firewall, to make sure there's no malware. Never found anything. Also ran NTREGOPT.

Collapse -
by jeff_windows_team / February 22, 2010 5:14 AM PST
In reply to: ram etc

You would probably see a sizable performance improvement if you added another GB of RAM.

Collapse -
Avira is Slowing Your PC
by MF_Cox / March 6, 2011 8:03 AM PST
In reply to: ram etc

" - Ten Tips to Speed Up Your PC"

Excerpt from Item #5:
"...If you don't want to have your system hijacked by a Trojan, pick up Malwarebytes' Antimalware which can find and quickly eliminate programs such as "Avira AV" which auto-install and trick the unsuspecting victim that he/she is infected. (Then it will try to collect payment from "product activation" but it's really just a hijacking program) Bottom line, your computer will run faster and much more efficient without these kinds of infections."

Collapse -
Avira Can Be A Legitmate Antivirus Program
by Grif Thomas Forum moderator / March 7, 2011 12:32 AM PST

It don't think the issue here is an infection with Avira. Although there is a fake antivirus/spyware out there by the name you've mentioned, the "Avira Antivir Personal" program is an excellent FREE antivirus program which is used successfully by many computer users. It appears like the original poster has the legitimate version, not the malware you speak of. In fact, there are a number of fake antivirus malware types which use legitimate antivirus as "come on" to get you to download their malware.. Be sure of what you're installing..

Hope this helps.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.