iPhones, iPods, & iPads forum

Question

2 iphones 1 computer but we need separate accounts

by Banny3 / June 5, 2012 6:19 PM PDT

Our home PC has my iphone account already set up on it. My daughter has now purchased an iphone and wants to be able to buy apps, music etc and sync from the same computer but we want entirely separate accounts as our contacts, apps, music, photos etc will be different.

I thought I had carefully set up her account separately with a new name and a new password, different email and contact details etc but when we plug in her phone the system still automatically take us to my account and asks for my password and won't allow us to click on anything to swap to her account or give us any similar 'either/or' option.

What have I done wrong and how can I fix this so our phones are treated entirely separately on the same computer.

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 iphones 1 computer but we need separate accounts
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 iphones 1 computer but we need separate accounts
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Answer
Re: separate accounts
by Kees_B Forum moderator / June 5, 2012 6:25 PM PDT

You need separate Windows accounts to login to from the Welcome screen. Then you have your own everything (except the iTunes program itself, there's only one of that). Libraries and everything else is private, however, limited to each Windows account.

Go to Control Panel>User accounts and make a new account for her.

Kees

Collapse -
Answer
Some more info for you
by Pepe7 / June 6, 2012 1:31 AM PDT

Keep in mind with iCloud the situation has changed a little. It may be helpful for you to consult with the following guide with useful tips for when you might actually want to share one Apple ID so you don't have to purchase apps several times. It's pretty easy to navigate once you read in more detail and think about how your devices will be used in real-time.

http://www.macstories.net/stories/ios-5-icloud-tips-sharing-an-apple-id-with-your-family/

Collapse -
Answer
agree
by michael-free / June 6, 2012 1:06 PM PDT

you could just set up 2 accounts on your pc or set up sandbox and do it that way but that would be the hard way to do it

Collapse -
Answer
RE2 iphones 1 computer but we need separate accounts
by blake325 / June 10, 2012 2:03 PM PDT

What you need to do is set up a home sharing system. You will have each others purches,but two seperate accounts. Go to advanced at the top and find somthing about home sharing. Then fallow the directions that are shown.

Collapse -
(NT) Home Sharing works with only one computer???
by mrmacfixit Forum moderator / June 10, 2012 9:54 PM PDT
Collapse -
Is that the same as.....
by birdmantd Forum moderator / June 10, 2012 11:25 PM PDT

...having more than one user account on the same computer ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.