Office & Productivity Software forum

General discussion

2 excel workbooks open side by side

by jayfin / January 9, 2006 9:20 PM PST

Is there any way to open two different excell workbooks side by side? I know that I can have mutliple workbooks running on the task bar but have not been able to have two side by side

I am using XP sp2 with Office 2000

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 excel workbooks open side by side
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 excel workbooks open side by side
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Opening two Excel workbooks side by side.
by Papa Echo / January 9, 2006 9:39 PM PST

Minimise the two (or more) opened Excel workbooks to the task bar. Right click at an empty area of the task bar, and from the cpntext menu. Choose Tile windows virtically (or horizontally). Before closing the windows, remember to untile.

Collapse -
Re: Opening two Excel workbooks side by side
by jayfin / January 9, 2006 10:23 PM PST

Papa Echo, I tried your instructions but to no avail. Even if I reduce the size of both workbooks only one will appear. Soon as I click on the other excel Workbook (button) on the taskbar it comes up and the other one disappears back to the taskbar. I have tried tiling, locking and unlocking the the taskbar but nothing seems to work.
Jayfin

Collapse -
You are not.....
by Papa Echo / January 9, 2006 10:45 PM PST

supposed to click at the icon at the task bar. I mentioined an empty area . Try again. It should work. It is designed to work this way.

Collapse -
I didn't state things cleary
by jayfin / January 9, 2006 11:01 PM PST
In reply to: You are not.....

I guess I didn't state what I did clearly. When I click on the task bar and then click on tile vertically or horizontally only one excel workbook opens up, other things on the task bar tile correctly, but just not the 2nd workbook.

Jayfin

Collapse -
OK, try...
by Papa Echo / January 9, 2006 11:31 PM PST

...select the minimised files (at the task bar) which you want to tile by highlighting one icon, press down Ctrl and select another file... Then right click at one of the selected file icon, or an empty area of the task bar....

Collapse -
The problem may be caused by somethng else.
by jayfin / January 10, 2006 12:29 AM PST
In reply to: OK, try...

Both workbooks were opened via useing a shortcut on my desktop. Following Kees advice and opening the workbooks from within Excel seems to solve the problem. For some reason windows doesn't seem to want to tile the Excel workbooks when opened via a shortcut.

Collapse -
Re: more windows side by side
by Kees Bakker / January 9, 2006 10:01 PM PST

As long as they aren't maximized you can change the size of each window (not only Excel, but most applications) by dragging the margins of the window around (when the cursus has become a double sided arrow) and drag it around by a left click in the (blue) title bar, then moving your mouse.

That way, you can get as many windows in any size and position you like on the screen. It's just as easy to put Excel next to Excel as it is to put Internet Explorer next to Word.

Hope this helps.

Kees

Collapse -
No Problem opeing windows side by side
by jayfin / January 9, 2006 10:31 PM PST

Kees, I have no problem opening windows side by side. Just can't open two excel workbooks open side by side. What I have had to do is convert a particular spreadsheet from a workbook into word format. Then I can have the word document ( converted excel spreadsheet)along side my other excell workbook.

Collapse -
Before you do....
by Papa Echo / January 9, 2006 11:07 PM PST

...what Kees suggested, configure the system (at Folder Options) to open files with their own windows. If you then reduce the sizes of the windows of the two separate Excel files, you can resize and slide them into position.

However, "tile windows" mentioned above will do that automatically whether you have configured files to open in the same window or separate windows. This works with "windows" generally: Internet Explorer and Firefox side by side, a received e-mail and its reply, MS Word side by side with a web page for reference when writing the term paper, etc.

Collapse -
Re: excel windows
by Kees Bakker / January 9, 2006 11:07 PM PST

It might not work, maybe, if you open the two workbooks in one instance of the application (by clicking on the xls-file in Windows Explorer). I didn't try it.

But it should surely work if you run Excel from Start>Programs or from an icon on your desktop and File>Open to open the first workbook, and then repeat the same procedure to open the second workbook (so run twice from Start>Programs). That way it are totally independent applications, like Excel and Word. No reason to expect any problems. In fact, I just did it here and it worked as expected.

Give it a try, and post back.

Kees

Collapse -
Thanks
by jayfin / January 9, 2006 11:34 PM PST
In reply to: Re: excel windows

That worked. I much appreciate your input. I am now a happy camper.

Jayfin

Collapse -
Forgot to say which worked
by jayfin / January 9, 2006 11:37 PM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Going through Start, then to excel and opening up the workbook and then doing it again for the second workbook.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) You're welcome.
by Kees Bakker / January 9, 2006 11:43 PM PST
Collapse -
Did you try the Excel 2000 menu Window - Arrange"?
by bh456 / January 12, 2006 9:29 PM PST

I didn't see anyone mention the menus in Excel 2000. They built in the exact tool to do just this. Maybe it's overlooked: The "Window" menu (next to Help) has an "Arrange" button where you can choose the typical cascade, vertical, horizontal, etc.

Collapse -
Good addition.
by Kees Bakker / January 12, 2006 10:15 PM PST

It's one of the things I never use, alas.
Just yesterday I had to copy information from a series of spreadsheets to one other spreadsheet, and it certainly should have been useful had I realized this.

Kees

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET's Tech Minute

Top 3 news reading apps

With the latest tech, getting news delivered to your phone is easier than ever. Here's a roundup of apps that are customizable and useful for getting the news.