Speakeasy forum

Alert

2 Bombs Explode Near End of Boston Marathon

by James Denison / April 15, 2013 5:36 AM PDT

Some injuries due to shrapnel, not sure how many injured, see breaking news.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 Bombs Explode Near End of Boston Marathon
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 Bombs Explode Near End of Boston Marathon
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
3 Dead, Others Injured.
by James Denison / April 15, 2013 5:53 AM PDT
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2013/04/15/explosion-reported-near-finish-line-boston-marathon-spokesman-says/

" DEVELOPING: Multiple casualties are reported after at least two explosions rocked the area near the finish line of the Boston Marathon, according to the Boston Herald.

Witnesses reportedly heard booms that sounded like two claps of thunder near the finish line inside the Fairmount Copley Plaza Hotel.

The explosions occurred just before 3 p.m. Video of the scene showed a number of emergency crews in the area tending to victims and blood on the ground near the finish line.

A photographer with Fox affiliate WFXT reported seeing a number of victims with lost limbs.

Competitors and race organizers were crying as they fled the chaos. Bloody spectators were being carried to the medical tent that had been set up to care for fatigued runners.

"There are a lot of people down," said one man....."
Collapse -
(NT) Sad...very sad event
by Willy / April 16, 2013 1:35 AM PDT
Collapse -
I am so tired.....
by Josh K / April 16, 2013 2:16 AM PDT
In reply to: Sad...very sad event

.....of seeing the very worst of humanity. My sympathies go out to the family of the little boy who was killed. His sister lost a leg and their mother suffered brain damage. They were all there to watch the dad run the marathon.

Collapse -
I was just reading about that family
by James Denison / April 16, 2013 4:28 AM PDT
In reply to: I am so tired.....

I suspected some family groups would be injured, which compounds the tragedy. I also saw an interview with the runner who was knocked down by what appeared to be shrapnel near the end of race. He is 78 yrs old. He bloodied his knee but was able after treatment on scene to walk 6 blocks back to his hotel, refusing the wheelchair. The smoke seemed too much and too white for it to be black powder, or some ingredient in the mix failed to ignite. It seemed after the explosion there was some continued burning of something creating the smoke. Seeing that, at first I wondered if it was poisonous perhaps. Guess not, but was odd the way it make so much smoke AFTER the blast.

Collapse -
White smoke can be steam.
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2013 4:51 AM PDT

Their now calling these "pressure cooker" bombs. This could mean they were set off by some chemical reaction. It would be a matter of having a strong oxidizer, something as simple as table sugar, and a chemical that would react with them when mixed. As kids, we learned to make smoke bombs with stuff we could buy at the drug store. The stronger oxidizer we had to get elsewhere. Table sugar was one ingredient. I won't reveal the others but I'm sure they're no secret. When these would light, billows of white smoke were created. There was no sulfur smell as none was used. Using a pressure cooker to contain the reaction would probably do what happened in Boston.

Collapse -
RE: odd the way it make so much smoke AFTER the blast.
by JP Bill / April 16, 2013 5:10 AM PDT
Collapse -
sugar chlorate
by James Denison / April 16, 2013 7:46 AM PDT

that's the dry "shocker" chlorate used for swimming pools, a strong oxidizer. I like the pools that use the ozone treatments better.

Collapse -
sugar and potassium chlorate
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2013 9:56 AM PDT
In reply to: sugar chlorate

would make a good propellant for small solid fuel rockets. It would burn much faster than KNO3 based fuels but you couldn't get it in the drug store. KNO3 was sold by the pound as a diuretic Of course it's also one of the 3 things needed to make gunpowder and you won't find it in the local Rx anymore. The sucrose + KCl03 mixture could also be ignited by a couple drops of sulfuric acid. It would react with the sugar to produce enough heat to begin the cascade. Put that mixture in tight quarters and you have the makings of an explosive device. As dumb teens, we made something akin to hand grenades with this stuff using glass pill vials to contain the chemicals. The trick was adding the sulfuric acid. I won't say how we did it but I'm happy to say I still have all my fingers. I don't recommend that as a recreational activity. Spud cannons are safer.

Collapse -
Potassium perchlorate or Potassium Nitrate and Sugar was
by Ziks511 / April 16, 2013 10:24 AM PDT

used by the Danish Resistance, and probably all resistances in Continental Europe during WW2. Apparently a 2 lb bomb could break a steel rail, derailing the train. From my mis-spent youth studying everything I could about WW2. They used a timer made of sulphuric acid and sugar separated by layers of waxed paper. The acid ate through the waxed paper caused the sugar to undergo an exothermic reaction which set off the mixture.

Not that I'm recommending it. I too have all my fingers and my facial features, but I met someone who had blown his hands off as a teenager when making an explosive. He was just the sort of dumb kid Steven and I were, and meeting him and talking to him certainly changed my ideas about consequences of actions and made the dangers far more real.

As Steven notes, you can't buy chemicals from your local Pharmacy the way I could as a kid. I also mail ordered glassware and some dry chemicals from a Sciientific Company and could have ordered virtually anything I wanted including various acids. That time is long past though I'm sure somebody has figured out the work-around for that prohibition..

Rob

Collapse -
Actually, I was wrong in that
by Steven Haninger / April 16, 2013 8:53 PM PDT

H2S04 reacts directly with KCL03. In any event, it causes rapid burning but not explosion unless tightly contained. We played around with such chemicals as they were not that difficult to come by. I made my own rockets and Roman candles as teen using the various additives that produced colors. I had only one failure when the bottom side of a Roman candle blew out and deposited the burning mixture on my jeans. I was forced into quickly shedding them while standing in an open field. Of course this left me in my Jockeys until I could stomp out the fire enough to put on what was left of them so that I could walk back home. I decided that any making handheld pyrotechnics was to be abandoned as a hobby.

Collapse -
The news today suggested it was smokeless powder used for
by Ziks511 / April 16, 2013 10:34 AM PDT

reloading cartridges. This makes it look home-grown as does the use of a timer rather than a cell phone. Thank god he couldn't get dynamite or something worse or it would have been appalling..

The 8 year old boy who was killed had just returned to his mother and sister, who are both in hospital with injuries.

The gentleman in the Cowboy hat is a Costa Rican immigrant and now citizen who lost his son in Iraq. He's being called a hero for helping treat and move a man who lost either one or both legs. He was one of the people who ran toward the explosion, not away from it.

Rob

Collapse -
I agree Rob,it probably was smokeless powder
by Tony Holmes / April 16, 2013 10:41 PM PDT

I do my own reloading and 1lb of smokeless powder costs under $20.Everyone knows how loud and powerful an M80 firecracker is.An M80 contains about .5tsp or .1 oz of powder.Imagine a lb of that stuff in a sealed container. It's safer than using a chemical mixture that could be unstable.

http://www.midsouthshooterssupply.com/department.asp?dept=%52%45%4C%4F%41%44%49%4E%47&dept2=%53%4D%4F%4B%45%4C%45%53%53%20%50%4F%57%44%45%52&dept3=&dept4=&NAV=1&sortItem=&vendors=

I was reading the Al Quaeda instructions online but won't post the link here.Whoever built it followed them to the letter including the time shown in the instructions.The shrapnel is glued to the inside wall of the cooker and detonation is by a cheap electric clock and a mini Christmas bulb.The entire cost would be under $100.

I'd like to take the dirtbag that did this out back and put a bullet in his skull.

Collapse -
About to make an arrest
by James Denison / April 17, 2013 4:09 AM PDT

I been wondering if domestic due to happening on Tax Day, April 15.

Collapse -
Boston Arrest.
by Dafydd Forum moderator / April 17, 2013 4:12 AM PDT
Collapse -
Oops again.
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2013 5:22 AM PDT
In reply to: Boston Arrest.

Now we hear no arrest...a face but no name. So much for putting too stock in breaking news. They got the original story wrong too with saying an unexploded device had been found. As well, the explosion reports were anywhere from 2 to 30 seconds apart. That's not even close. Facts are subject to change without notice.

Collapse -
If no timers were used.....
by Josh K / April 17, 2013 6:52 AM PDT
In reply to: Oops again.

.....then there had to be more than one person involved in this, since the two explosions were only a few seconds and a couple of blocks apart.

Reports are always going to be inaccurate in the middle of a breaking story, especially when all the news outlets are competing to be first with anything new. Fact-checking goes out the window in favor of 24/7 speculation. I've been mostly avoiding the news for that reason, just checking in periodically to see if anything is new.

Collapse -
Even the FBI wants the media to back off
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2013 7:53 AM PDT
The FBI added: "Since these stories often have unintended consequences, we ask the media, particularly at this early stage of the investigation, to exercise caution and attempt to verify information through appropriate official channels before reporting."

I imagine that "unintended consequences" might mean that such premature reporting can actually interfere with the investigation. Here's a case where authorities were seeking anything they could get in the way of help from the public and we have the media getting in the way of truth? Wouldn't you think that a report of a suspect in custody could make public help slow down or cease?
Collapse -
Some of the "reporting" is really ridiculous
by Josh K / April 17, 2013 11:00 PM PDT

They're filling time with talking heads speculating without any supporting facts, and yesterday two CNN reporters spent a good ten minutes doing a bizarre "show & tell" segment with a pressure cooker they bought at a local housewares store, explaining how it works, where the serial number can be found, and so on. It was utterly pointless, unless you're interested in learning how to use one to make a bomb.

I'm trying hard not to fall into the trap of leaving the news on all day. It serves no purpose except to add to people's anxiety. They'll find whoever did this.

Collapse -
Wouldn't the perps
by JP Bill / April 17, 2013 5:13 AM PDT

have to send a written/voice message to make sure people got THAT association?

Collapse -
For all we know they did
by James Denison / April 17, 2013 1:11 PM PDT
In reply to: Wouldn't the perps

Several letters with ricin in them were received by some on Capitol Hill.

Collapse -
For all I know...THEY didn't
by JP Bill / April 17, 2013 1:45 PM PDT

We know the same people are responsible for the bombs AND the letters?

More of your National Enquirer headlines? You're a contributor to a major TV News network, and trying to scoop all the others?

Jay Carney, White House spokesman: "They will be conducting further tests"

An arrest has been made after letters containing suspected ricin were sent to US President Barack Obama and a US senator.

The alleged sender, Paul Kevin Curtis, 45, is a resident of Mississippi.

Initial tests on the letters, identified at remote facilities, showed the presence of the lethal toxin.

The FBI has said there is "no indication of a connection" between the letters and Monday's deadly attack in Boston.

Collapse -
For all we know, it's not even ricin
by Steven Haninger / April 17, 2013 8:09 PM PDT

It was reported that ground up castor beans will test positive for ricin. Thus, all we really had at the time the reporters ran to their typewriters...er, ipads, whatever... was the results of a screening and not comprehensive analysis. Of course that's what our media does all the time. They go with the preliminary which is enough to cause a stir. Stirring is what they do best.

Collapse -
headline of the day
by James Denison / April 18, 2013 3:33 AM PDT

"NOTHING MUCH HAPPENING TODAY"

or the headline you will never see on a news site. Like Josh, just checking in once in awhile to see if they have YET arrested anyone or have something new.

Collapse -
Now they're saying.....
by Josh K / April 18, 2013 4:00 AM PDT

......the guy who sent the letters was an Elvis impersonator. I have a feeling he won't get to say "Elvis has left the building" for a LOOOOOOOOOOOOONG time.

Collapse -
You were right
by JP Bill / April 17, 2013 10:15 PM PDT
Collapse -
Remarkable what surveillance cameras can pick up....
by Tony Holmes / April 17, 2013 10:46 PM PDT
Collapse -
Response
by JP Bill / April 18, 2013 1:01 AM PDT

The Aryan Empire of Ubedarn .....ubedarn's media?(Interesting choice of name)

Aryian? ...... White Supremacists? ...Aren't they the ones thought to be be involved in shooting law officials?

NOW they are searching for bombers?

IF you look closely at both photos in your link

The photo on the left...the circled part is Grey with a White Band

The photo on the right...the circled part is Black with a Grey Band...NO White.

What's the connection? Same "style"? That's close enough to raise suspicion?

Investigators are believed to be weighing the advantages of releasing the photos and enlisting the public's aid in finding possible suspects and doing anything that might jeopardize the investigation. Amateur sleuths around the world have been examining widely circulated photos from the crowd, isolating on people with backpacks, but officials have warned against such speculation.[

Collapse -
WTF ???? As usual,I have no idea what you mean
by Tony Holmes / April 18, 2013 4:18 AM PDT
In reply to: Response

talking about Aryans and white supremacists and don't want to know.What does that have to do with me posting a pict from my P/bucket account???

You want to know WHY the choice of THAT name?? Fine,I'll tell you.It goes back to the 1944 Three Stooges episode,"Crash Goes The Hash" which was one of their funniest and one of my favorites.

They infiltrate a mansion party to get a photo of the elusive "Prince Shaam of Ubeedarn".

http://threestoogespictures.info/crash-goes-the-hash-starring-the-three-stooges/

I created my acct and thought I spelled the name correctly but I left out an 'e'(shoot me).If you want to connect that with one of the other 7B people in the world,it's your problem.

Collapse -
Thank You...that explains your use of the UbeEdarn name.
by JP Bill / April 18, 2013 4:34 AM PDT
Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.