Laptops

General discussion

2 Bad Screens, or MB?

by stephenstud / July 4, 2013 10:42 PM PDT

I have a Presario F500, and a V2000. The F500 screen flickers then goes dark. You can still see the screen if you put a flashlight on it. The V2000, has lines and a white bar on the right hand side of the screen. Both work fine hooked up to an external monitor. Everything I read seems to point towards bad screens. I just wanted someone elses opinion. Thank you for any help.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 2 Bad Screens, or MB?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 2 Bad Screens, or MB?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) Looks like bad screens indeed.
by Kees_B Forum moderator / July 4, 2013 11:03 PM PDT
In reply to: 2 Bad Screens, or MB?
Collapse -
Laptops
by stephenstud / July 5, 2013 6:38 AM PDT

I have read that the F500 needs and inverter? Is that hard to fix? And the other might have a bad display cable?

Collapse -
I have to write yes.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 2:51 AM PDT
In reply to: Laptops

Replacing parts isn't too hard but I find most shop techs find it hard to fix (repair) an inverter. Please, when you ask such questions, fix means fix, replace means replace. I find it cheaper to replace than fix many of these parts today.
Bob

Collapse -
Repair to Replace
by stephenstud / July 6, 2013 5:30 AM PDT
In reply to: I have to write yes.

Your correct. I should have asked is it hard to replace the inverter? Or would it be easier to place the whole screen? I know its a little more expensive, but I wouldnt have to desolder, and resolder the board in correct? Thank you!

Collapse -
Inverters are small boards.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 6, 2013 9:43 AM PDT
In reply to: Repair to Replace

And have been easy to replace compared to say a LCD or motherboard. Better than half didn't require solder work but as a repair tech you would not be adverse to soldering. It's part of the job.
Bob

Collapse -
New screen In.... But still the same.
by stephenstud / July 13, 2013 7:50 AM PDT

I replaced the screen today on the F500, and it still went dark on me... I can still see it with a flash light. Whats causing this? Thank you.

Collapse -
There's a bad cable, board or part.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 9:24 AM PDT

As presented all it tells us is you haven't replaced the right part or parts.
Bob

Collapse -
Thank you.
by stephenstud / July 13, 2013 12:02 PM PDT

Thank you for being very obvious to all....lmao You have got to love people who hide behind screens....

Collapse -
No hiding.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 13, 2013 12:56 PM PDT
In reply to: Thank you.

Some folk just need the obvious laid out. I had techs that wanted to know which part is bad. The newer ones think this is all known. As they get more seasoned they learn why this is as well as this tip.

Replace the cheapest part first when you can't determine which one it is.
Bob

Collapse -
Sorry.
by stephenstud / July 13, 2013 9:43 PM PDT
In reply to: No hiding.

I was having a bad day yesterday. I didnt mean to take it out on you. Thank you for the help. I bought an inverter to see if that works.

Collapse -
Thanks and I know how stressful it is.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 14, 2013 10:25 AM PDT
In reply to: Sorry.

The other hard to find cheap parts are those cables. They are often made with very small gauge wires and one PINCH and they are dead.

Yes, I've taken Ohm meters to figure this out as well as a microscope or magnifying loupe but if I even see a suspect cable, I want it replaced if other parts are not fixing it.

-> To make matters tough, these are hard to source.
Bob

Collapse -
Not sure now....
by stephenstud / July 17, 2013 12:31 PM PDT

Replaced the inverter, and it was bright for about 5 seconds...lol I think this thing is done... What's a good idea now? Thank you!

Collapse -
Get a quote on the rest of the parts.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / July 17, 2013 10:45 PM PDT
In reply to: 2 Bad Screens, or MB?

Laptops are usually not repaired if it's the main board. And the mainboard is what commands the light here so you've replaced the cheaper parts such as cables, inverters and the bad LCD so it's what's left.
Bob

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech Tip

Know how to save a wet phone?

It's not with a dryer and it's not with rice. CNET shows you the secret to saving your phone.