Car Tech forum

General discussion

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 dying when up to operating temp

by warren1968 / April 10, 2007 8:57 PM PDT

THE CAR STARTS AND RUNS FINE FROM COLD BUT WHEN UP TO OPERATING TEMPERATURE IT CUTS OUT AND DIES, IT WILL RESTART WHEN COOLED. IT HAS BEEN SUGGESTED AS NEEDING A CAM OR CRANK ANGLE SENSOR.
ANY HELP OR OTHER SUGGESTIONS WILL BE APPRECIATED.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 dying when up to operating temp
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0 dying when up to operating temp
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1997 Grand cherokee Laredo runs till hot then misfires,bucks
by xtreme30m / August 31, 2008 7:02 AM PDT

The car started with a guy at his shop ran codes it kept comming up cam and crank sensor..ok they changed them ...then they cut open the cat-converter...and i dont know if they punched it out or not but they welded it shut.....then i got the jeep and took the crank sensor back out...was new ...cleaned it and put it back in...then still the same can drive till 210 degrees(normal operating temp)presumibly..so i took the distributor cap off ..it looks all new plugs,wires,cap,rotor,and cam sensor...so.i cleaned it up better even though it was new...cleaned cap terminals..rotor..and curved sensor plate...so i put it back...same thing!!! then my friend says try coil .(when they get hot on the block sometimes they break down)wasnt that...then i decide..check all the fuel beautiful pressure when normal and acting up.....so i put a coolant temp sensor in it....still same thing.So then we buy a remanufactured ecu.(computer)..then i thought it would b good..pluged it in the same damn thing ...my heart dropped.Then i was reading all these blogs for the last day and a half so i figured the computer screws..nope asd relay...nope...i checked the whole wiring harness shook all connections while it was acting up ...no difference...then i just brought it to another guy...and he has me convinced what i never really thought of!!!.he scanned it same codes as chrysler said ..crank and cam ..so what he determined is the timing chain got slack in it and when its cold it runs fine..when its hot chain stretches causing intermiting firing cause its not firing exactly on point when hot so computer gets a different reading and doesnt know what to do so it runs eractic...well i wont really know till 2 more days when he can check it out with and mechanics..orthonscope or summin...it determins exact readings from precise location...but ity all makes sense..but future will tell...this Jeep has been a nightmare..oh yeah i just replaced the differential..cause it was howling another common problem on these beautys...but i will up date this if i do happen to put the timing chain in it....but does it make sense to you?...any information would be usefull at this point......ok thankx ...mike......appreciate it....

Collapse -
Ignition Problem 1992 Ford Ranger
by ontypotoi / August 21, 2010 7:06 AM PDT

My 1992 Ford Ranger 2.3ltrs engine do not run. It only crank. I have changed crank sensor, ignition control module but not the coil pack. (I have the theory that one of the coils should still fire if the other is bad. (It is odd or rare both coils fail to ignite simultaneously) Should I have the computer check or replace the coil-pack? Does the computer at this case has something to do with igniting fire to the coils and coils to the spark plugs?
I need to know this before I send my comp for diagnosis. Will someone with the expertise please respond IMMEDIATELY
Thanks a lot

Collapse -
i have the same problem.
by madmax-3000 / December 29, 2010 12:05 AM PST

1996 jeep cherokee 4.0 limited SE A. Happy
i have the same problem. runs fine upto operating temperature then cuts out. shuts down. then starts when cold. i've run a diagnosis and came up with the code 12 55. as far as i've found 12 means battery disconnected in the last 50 key starts.i cant see how thats a problem. and 55 means diagnosis finnished. so i'm wondering if or how u fix your problem. thank you..

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.