Car Tech forum

General discussion

1997 jeep cherokee sport 4x4, Dash gauges not working!!!

by Byronone / October 16, 2007 9:29 AM PDT

I have a 1997 jeep cherokee sport 4x4 automatic 4.0l with 115000 miles on it. The dash gauges work intermittently. tach will work for 5 seconds then quit, I have noticed that when I wiggle the ignition key to make the relays turn on the tach will work but only for 5 seconds and the air bag light comes on with the check engine and check gauges. The volt gauge, oil pressure gauge and fuel gauge work intermittent as well, just like wiggling the ignition key to make the tach work for 5 seconds I wiggle the key to make the volt,fuel, oil pressure gauges work. The speedometer works intermittent as well. The jeep drives fine no drivabality issues (no stalling or hesitation)

Things I have tried are
Clean the battery terminals, swap out the relays the ones under the hood and the one behind the glove box and the one on the passanger kick panel. I did remove the ignition and cleaned it and reassemabled it, I ohmed out the ground wires and even cleaned the grounds. I tried the screw trick in the pcm just in case as well.

I dont want to just start throwing parts at it. Any and all suggestions are welcome
Thanks
Byron

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1997 jeep cherokee sport 4x4, Dash gauges not working!!!
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1997 jeep cherokee sport 4x4, Dash gauges not working!!!
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
97 jeep cherokee sport dash gauges
by Byronone / October 18, 2007 8:49 AM PDT

well after spending a couple of days of pin point testing. I found that when I unplug the air bag control module under the drivers seat the gauges work normal, with the obvious air bag light staying on. I have unpluged the air bags witht the control module left plugged in, with the samw result of the gauges not working. So I have left the air bag control module unplugged, I went online for a search of control modules, I came across a recall for jeeps. I called the local jeep dealer and the recall applies to my jeep. They will replace the air bag control module and move it to a new location. Even though the recall is for a different concern it will be replaced for free. So i'll post a update when I get it done.
Byron

Collapse -
same problem...
by aangulo33 / November 2, 2007 1:24 AM PDT

Hey, i'm having the same problem with my dash in my Jeep. Can you point me to the recall link? I would like to take it to the dealership and have the info with me. Thanks.

Collapse -
1997 jeep cherokee sport gauges
by Byronone / November 2, 2007 7:56 AM PDT
In reply to: same problem...

My jeep has been fixed it was a faulty air bag control module. There was a recall on it so there was no charge for it to replace it and relocate it. Who ever wants to know if the recall is for there vehicle you can do a simple search for 1997 jeep cherokee sport recalls. I found a bunch of web pages. You can also call the dealership and ask them if there is any recalls for that vehicle, you will need your v.i.n off the vehicle. The recall for mine was for the northeast (NY) for corrision under the drivers seat. The good thing is they left the old one under the seat I will take it out and take it apart and try to find the broken part. If you want to know for sure about your gauges to see if they work try this first. Disconnect your battery negative side wait atleast 3 minutes, then remove the 3 screws that hold the bracket over the control module, Then unplug the control module, connect the negative side of the battery and start up your engine the gauges should start working. Good luck and let me know how it goes please.
Byron

Collapse -
1997 jeep cherokee sport gauges
by redone873 / January 26, 2009 3:31 PM PST

Byronone, I had my module changed at a dealership and the airbag light is still on. As long as the airbag light is on the gauges do not work. The service dept. at the dealer I took my Jeep to says the light is my responsiblity and wants me to pay $150.00 to trace out the light. It seems to me the light should have been taken care of with the module replacement. Did the light go off when they fixed yours?

Collapse -
need help
by brian_a72 / July 25, 2015 4:14 PM PDT

my gages are not working & neither is my radio cause I made a small accident by putting the wrong terminals on the rong side & it sparked & made a little smoke ...any ideas of what the problem could be ?

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Big stars on small screens

Smosh tells CNET what it took to make it big online

Internet sensations Ian Hecox and Anthony Padilla discuss how YouTube has changed and why among all their goals, "real TV" isn't an ambition.