Car Tech forum

General discussion

1996 jeep grand cherokee stalling at lights or stop signs

by kwikie / August 19, 2008 11:08 AM PDT

My jeep grand cherokee 1996 has started stalling when at lights, stop signs, in park or neutral. It does not idle rough, will restart immediately if you start after stalling, but if sitting struggles to start. Fuses and relays look fine, throttle for idle was leaned. Does the cransensor and smsesor jsut stop working or wil it give you problems first. No readings.

Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1996 jeep grand cherokee stalling at lights or stop signs
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1996 jeep grand cherokee stalling at lights or stop signs
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo stops at idle
by zzsuzsa / January 25, 2009 10:40 AM PST

My 96 4.0 6cyl. 2 wh drive jeep grang Cherokee Laredo does the same recently. It starts and drives but after stoping at the stores and parking when I came out I starting it than just stops. It starts again. If I start to drive drives but usually will stop at the next stop sign. Mechanic changed already crank sensor, distributer pick up, fuel pump, idle control valve, ignition coil, distributer cap. My jeep was running very good until it stoped at the first time 2 weeks ago. I am the first owner and it has only 89000 miles on it. What could be the probleim? Engine light is NOT light up. Sometimes the check gage light will remain lighted.

Collapse -
96 grand cherokee does the same thing!
by Mick Allen / January 30, 2009 11:00 PM PST

Hello, my 96 Cherokee ltd edition does the same thing, except it also does it at speed. I have replaced the crank sensor twice and just about every electrical component as well. The problem is that it is dangerous, as I never know when it will cut out, Ie. on the freeway or in traffic. 4 months and $1,200 later, I am ready to drive it off a cliff. Befor this problem, I loved this car (212,000 miles, looks and drives beautifully)
HELPPPPPP!!

Collapse -
Read response from Cat5 Cane and caj1996
by caj1996 / January 31, 2009 7:25 AM PST

I have also done all the so called VOODOO tricks and they have not helped. I am buying a remanufactured PCM for my 1996 4.0 liter.
Drove Jeep today and have not had a problem. It does it when you least expect it. Like on freeway at 70 mph or at stop light when the light turns green and the car behind you thinks that you are going to go and you don't and they run into you.
Good Luck.
Some of the PCM have the two screws they have talked about in other threads but mine does not as I have taken the computer out and inspected it. I filled a complaint with the National Traffic Department as a safety problem. I hope a lot more people will and maybe they will force Chrysler to have a recall. That's if they are still making vehicles by then.

Collapse -
Stalling on 96 jeep Cherokee
by gtandut / September 6, 2010 11:51 AM PDT

I noticed you had a post out there about 1.5 years ago on a 96 jeep cherokee where you replace the PCM in hopes of resolving a stall problem. I have the same jeep and was curious if replacing the PCM resolved your issue when you replaced it. thanks so much. Mike

Collapse -
1996 Jeep
by reddheart1 / October 1, 2009 8:43 AM PDT

Having the exact same problem with my jeep. Is your Jeep still having the same problem? What worked for you? The mechanic is saying it is the computer but I feel that if I do replace it the problem will still be there after. What to do what to do?

Collapse -
Two little screws!!!!!!
by vaporsilver / February 1, 2010 3:14 AM PST

Behind the fluid resavoir (which must be removed)is the PCM. Remove the black cover and you will see three plug-type connections. Disconnect negative battery cable. Unplug the three connections and you will see two small torx screws. Back them out a few turns and plug connectors back in and attach battery cable. Start jeep and go back to your connections and wiggle them if it does'nt die then you fixed it. If it acts like it wants to die then you have back the screw out some more. I learned the screws were to long and eventually wears through inside the PCM causing a short. Get shorter screws and install them and problem should be fixed.

Collapse -
2 screws
by mrjeep3 / March 4, 2010 12:04 PM PST

thanks for info because thats what it was after i replaced my coil and crankshaft sensor

Collapse -
Shorter Screws!! No Kidding??
by GGroat / March 19, 2010 12:54 AM PDT

My 1996 Gr Cher Lim is on its third computer. I'm told it is bad again. Auto Computer Exchange (FL) tech told me MUST change crank angle sensor with the ECM. The sensor was found bad by our local repair shop and replaced, but it did not solve problem alone. The tech said he then tapped on the computer with the car running, and it immediately shut off. Does this sound similar? I'm thinking, find nylon screws???

Collapse -
Mrs. Jeep
by linlinwill / June 24, 2010 10:18 AM PDT

Thank you! ($1,200.00 later) All I need is 2 screws!!!! I must say the old Jeep has 198,456 miles on it and still runs great! with two new screws!

Collapse -
You are awsome. Thanks for the info
by dawnschiers / July 16, 2010 5:02 AM PDT

I have a 96 JGC that started blowing the #20 20amp fuse in the Powertrain distribution center everytime it was started. So my husband swaped around the ASD relay. (didn't work). he swaped in a 30 amp (would go for about 1 mile them blow that fuse. I saw your post, so I tried it,(My Husband didn't think it would work). I losened the screws, drove all over then to Ace to get moe 20amp fuses (the real test). It worked, it didn't blow the fuse. Thank You, Thank you, Thank You,

Collapse -
2 Screws
by LilJB17 / September 7, 2010 10:36 AM PDT

I really appreciate your help. I have been buying all kinds of electrical components. Thanks.

Collapse -
i tried this
by hatemyfnjeep / February 15, 2011 1:24 PM PST

I read the post from the airline mechanic about the two little screws and cut mine down about an eighth of an inch. It seemed to work fine at first. Now it's back again. Seems like worse than before. Used to be fine at highway speeds but is cutting out at 60 and 70 now too. I'm at a loss. Considering selling it to Carmax for 1700. Pos.

Collapse -
1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo
by chowchowcutie28 / August 22, 2010 10:54 AM PDT

I am having the same problems, umm i just changed the battery in it and since then it hasnt acted up. But it also might be your catalytic converter.

Collapse -
New pcm
by iownherbie09 / February 1, 2009 9:04 AM PST

My 1997 JGC laredo did the exact same thing.. Its the worst feeling to have to drive trying to anticipate when your car will just shut down...i ended up purchasing a remanufactured PCM from a chrysler dealership. The first PCM they installed in my car did not work so they had to change it again and so far it has been 1 week and it has been working fine..i am keeping my fingers crossed that the problem has been solved...Good Luck!

Collapse -
me, too.
by redcarwire / June 15, 2009 12:43 PM PDT

i had the same problem, also. i tried having it checked by a mechanic as well as check the brembo thing, but still it does not do any good.

Collapse -
Jeep Grand cherokee starting issues
by jwg1987 / December 17, 2009 7:30 AM PST
In reply to: me, too.

guys, I had a similar issue with my 1996 JGC, 126000 miles. my symptoms were hard starting, then it would run fine, drive for 15 to 20 minutes, turn it off, and it didn't want to start again, sometimes it would die while idling, and progressively became harder to start. After changing a pretty much clogged fuel filter, I thought I had it figured out, and it did run better for a week, then started acting up again. I decided to try swapping plugs, wires and distributor rotor and cap. I found that my distributor was very pitted and worn, but the surprise came when I pulled off the wire from the distributor to the coil. the wire actually pulled apart,after a hard pull, and the wire inside was corroded to almost powdered consistency. after I replaced them all, the jeep started up and ran fine ever since.

Collapse -
Hope this helps
by MPRinOhio / January 6, 2010 6:16 AM PST

The stalling issues on the JGC usually can be attributed to a bad crankcase sensor, or a faulty PCM. Symptoms like the Jeep running fine, then stalling without warning usually point to a faulty crank sensor (in most cases). If that doesn't solve the problem, many in these forums go the route of changing out the PCM.

Collapse -
My 96 GC Is Not Playing Nice With Me
by traveller1861 / January 12, 2010 12:09 PM PST

I have read this forum exhaustively for an answer and am unable to come to a definitive solution to my problem.

My Jeep starts fine and will run as normal for almost exactly 1/2 mile, then it shuts down and will not re-start...Wait a few hours and this cycle will repeat itself. It will idle all day long.

Further details...

5.2L 160k miles original owner
NO CODES
Good battery
Good fuel pressure
Recent Throttle Position Sensor (and I removed and cleaned it)
Recent plugs, cap, rotor & wires
Cleaned and tightened all ground connections

What is the most logical diagnostic progression?

Coil?
Idle Air Control?
Crankshaft Position Sensor?
Powertrain Control Module?
Something I am not thinking of?

Your advice is appreciated.

Collapse -
1996 Jeep issue
by krl290 / March 1, 2010 12:06 AM PST

OMG. For Two years we have had the same issue. Car will die at stop or while moving sometimes will not start. I have reported as a dangerous car to NTSA but Jeep does not seem to care. We have replaced the computer, crank sensor, fuel filter have not replaced fuel pump yet. Again today would not start. So, have had to miss work today. Don't know the answer except to keep pumping money into the money pit and maybe some day someone will figure it out. Maybe buy a Toyota and at least they will recall it.

Collapse -
96 jeep cherokee laid up 6 weeks
by mother nature / March 3, 2010 10:44 PM PST
In reply to: 1996 Jeep issue

Wow! The more I research the stalling-not starting-quits when hitting bumps thing, the more I realize that I'm not alone (the 'stalls when bouncing over railroad tracks' gets interesting.) Does anyone know if the pcu has to be reprogrammed if you switch one out of another jeep? We've replaced the IAC valve, crank shaft sensor, o2 sensor, coil,(whereupon it finally started, ran, and died,) plugs, wires and distributor cap, the modulator inside the distributor cap, and now are looking at the wiring harness. We tried another pcu unit from a different Jeep and nothing happened. I'm trying to find out if the unit is bad before I spend $300 for a rebuilt. I'd really appreciate any ideas!

Collapse -
Crankshaft sensor
by csmfish / March 19, 2010 11:44 AM PDT

It's most likely the crankshaft position sensor, they go out without any warning. Lots of guy's keep a spare in the glove box.

Collapse -
same problem with 2001 Jeep Grand
by w919a / October 24, 2010 5:02 AM PDT

Jeeps dealer was clueless and recommeded a nearly 600 dollar rotor resurfacing, complete tune up, throttle body, and fuel induction cleaning!! They were clueless and it still would not have fixed the problem. The car ran perfectly until you put the brakes on. Everything they recommended could not have contributed to the specif problem. If that were true the car would run porly all the time. I picked up the car and took it home to do a visual inspection on my own. I found a vacuum leak at the small rubber hose that attached to the throttle body and over to the brake booster. There were several dry rotted hoses that I replaced. It cost less than 5 dollars!!! The car is again running perfectly. Never underestimate the importance of vacuum!!

Collapse -
1996 jeep grand cherokee stalling at lights or stop signs
by NevinOvermiller / February 21, 2011 1:35 AM PST

My 1996 Jeep GC shut off when I stopped and made u-turns or other turns since August 2010. It took me 7 months until I did a internet search and found the solution at cnet.com...2 little screws in the PCM. This was done after the Jeep dealer and another mechanic replaced everything know to man. At a cost of $3000.
Loosen 2 screws...half an hour labor....$50.
Jeep Chrysler Dealer and others never knew this solution.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 47,885 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,322 discussions
icon
iPhones, iPods, & iPads 3,188 discussions
icon
Security 30,333 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,177 discussions
icon
HDTV Picture Setting 1,932 discussions
icon
Phones 15,713 discussions
icon
Windows 7 6,210 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,510 discussions

Tech for the school year

Smart tech for smart students

Forget the pencils and notebooks. Gear up your students with these portable and powerful note-taking machines.