Car Tech forum

General discussion

1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee just stopped while driving.

by jeepaussie / November 3, 2007 10:58 AM PDT

I was driving my jeep and it just stopped. I have a new battery, new ignition coil, new distributor cap with the rotor. All the lights work, the radio, turn signals etc. It makes a whirring sound like it wants to kick over but it won't start. The AAA guy checked the fuel pump and fuel line and they were fine. He looked over everything and said he cant work out what else it would be. Everything else looks good. Someone told me it could be the crank position sensor?? They also said it seemed that there seemed to be no spark getting to the distributor cap (sorry if that doesn't make sense I am learning alot about cars this weekend.)

I don't know what is wrong with it. I don't want to put money into replacing parts that don't need to be replaced. Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee just stopped while driving.
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1996 Jeep Grand Cherokee just stopped while driving.
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Hope this helps
by svo306 / January 12, 2008 10:54 AM PST

I had a similar problem with my 96 Grand Cherokee. Stopped while I was driving, would occasionally not start, or be hard to start from time to time. I changed the crank position sensor, and haven't had a problem since. It's hard to get to. Good luck with fixing it. Have you had the Jeep scanned for an error code?

Collapse -
Jeep Stalling
by Dezelsky1 / March 14, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

Have replaced a ton of parts on my sons 94 GCL. Today the Crank Sensor. Will let you know in a week or two if this is FINALLY the answer. The scary thing is how many people are having the same problem with their jeeps....

Collapse -
Fixed!!
by Dezelsky1 / June 3, 2008 5:07 AM PDT
In reply to: Jeep Stalling

Almost three months without stalling, HoHooo!!
The Crank Position Sensor did the trick. Now if I can get it to stop bucking from 1st to 2nd in the morning for the first 3 or 4 miles....

Collapse -
Bucking
by AustinJeeper / June 6, 2008 6:08 AM PDT
In reply to: Fixed!!

Never had a really smooth shifting Jeep myself so i would just get used to the bucking unfortunately.

Collapse -
crank sensor
by sugar6839 / August 4, 2009 7:35 AM PDT

how much was the crank sensor and where is it located to change it.
Also, is there a way to test it?
thank you!

Collapse -
crankshaft position sensor repeating issue
by julio.arriaga / November 25, 2009 7:42 AM PST
In reply to: crank sensor

Hi all.

I know this is an old post, I hope I'm able to get some help.
I had the same problem that my 96 GCL stopped while running. When it did, I heard a load cranking noise. It turned out that somehow the flywheel destroyed the sensor (it had the flywheel marks all over the sensor). Changed the sensor, and got it working again.
The ugly thing is that it has happend again. Altough this time it did not stopped while running, but instead I started having trouble starting up the jeep on the morning (while it was cold). After the jeep heated no issues were observed but the check engine light was lit all the time.
When I took it to the repair shop, they tell me the sensor is damaged again, but don't have a clue at the moment of what the fault could be.

Any ideas?

Collapse -
Jeep Grand Cher 96 4.0L. Cold starts OK, won't start warm
by Paul D Rice / April 24, 2010 3:12 AM PDT

My Jeep starts fine in the morning, but after running a few errands,
won't start until the engine gets cold.
All dash warning lights come on, but the starter does not engage, like the car is not in PARK.
Thanks for any suggestions.
Paul

Collapse -
won't start
by malindaleblanc / November 30, 2014 12:09 AM PST

that is the crank shaft sensor that's what happen to me..

Collapse -
my headlights won't shut off
by jeep1996 / May 8, 2010 10:33 AM PDT

I have a 1996jeep grand cherokee limited edition i don't know why but my head lights will not shut off
I have disconnected the battery and this has still not helped I have tryed the fuses and nothing, the blue highbeem light on my dashboard is on, the high beems are not on. if I flick my signal switch for the high beems they will turn onand off, but the blur light will not go away, after I turn my ignition off and have the sweitch for the lights to the off position and remove the key from the ignition the lights are still ingagaed. I don't know what is causing it someone told me it is a moudual.. if anyone knows why this would be happening and how I can fix the problum to turn off my lights please let me know

Collapse -
96 jeep cherokee
by vstond27 / March 27, 2013 5:41 AM PDT

I am having a similar problem. I had my 96 jeep Cherokee sport out in the woods for a little bit (nothing crazy) and on my way out while driving on a dirt road the motor just stopped yet my stereo and headlights still were working. Someone had stolen my gas cap a week or 2 ago so I thought it wasn't getting gas so I replaced the fuel filter and it was a little dirty but still would not start so after reading many of these forms and talking to a few mechanic buddy's found it might be the crankshaft sensor (since it is not getting any spark) and after replacing it still nothing. im currently waiting for a tow to auto zone to have them scan the computer and see what codes come up. any ideas please lmk I will keep you posted on what I find from the computer.

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.