Car Tech forum

General discussion

1995 Jeep cherokee won't start

by graynix / May 17, 2005 8:53 PM PDT

Changed coil, Distributor cap, rotor, pickup module and checked high tension wires. Flashing code reads 32, indicating open or shorted EGR valve solenoid. Have not checked crankshaft sensor yet. Help!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1995 Jeep cherokee won't start
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1995 Jeep cherokee won't start
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
1995 Jeep won't start
by Robert K / May 17, 2005 10:03 PM PDT

Well, you need to give a little more information than that. Do you have the key to start it? Did it stall while driving it? Does the engine crank when you turn the key?
It's just like going to the doctor... where does it hurt?

Collapse -
Jeep won't start
by Robert K / May 17, 2005 10:13 PM PDT

Sorry, didn't see the previous message. One of the most overlooked starting causes is fuel delivery. Find the fuel rail to the injectors. Assuming you don't have a fuel pressure guage, remove the dust cap on the fitting on the fuel rail and press the center pin in the valve to see if theres a good amount of pressure for a very brief second. There will be no continuous pressure unless the engine is running or is being cranked over. Have sombody crank it for you for a second to see if high pressure is present.

If not, first look at the fuel cutoff switch usually located in the inside stowage compartment of the vehicle. See if the reset button clicks when you press it. Next check the fuel pump fuse and relay, and finally the pump itself could be bad.

Collapse -
same problem, what about fuel cutoff switch?
by bosanovaboy / July 31, 2006 12:04 AM PDT
In reply to: Jeep won't start

Bob, you mentioned something about a fuel cutoff switch. I read through my manual and didn't see anything about this switch and were it might be located. Are you sure the jeep grank cherokee has it? What does it look like? Is it in the little comparment to open you fuel tank manually?
Thank you

Collapse -
1995 Jeep Cherokee Fuel Cut Off Switch
by beerandwineman / August 19, 2007 3:07 AM PDT

Does the 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee have an anti-theft fuel cutoff switch, and if so where is it or how do you reset it? I bought this Jeep not running and it had been attempted to be stolen. Even removing a battery on these I believe triggers the security system. I tried reseting it by inserting the key in the rear hatch, but it still starts for a second and dies. The fuel supply is being cut off and it's not the filter or pump. Please help!

Collapse -
anti-theft device
by pasqualee / August 20, 2007 11:04 AM PDT

Try putting your key in the key nob on the passengers side turn it two times ...or three and it should do the job! mine did that to me when i first bought it and i was going nuttts!It's an anti-theft device.

Collapse -
Jeep Anti Theft Device
by beerandwineman / August 21, 2007 2:25 AM PDT
In reply to: anti-theft device

Yes, I came to that same conclusion, only I was told to put the key in the rear hatch and I turned it to the right and that worked and reactivated everything. I would still ultimately like to disable the disabler though. The only person it defeats is me the owner. If they have cut-off switches for airbags, I'd like a cut-off switch for the security system. I am told the security 'brain' is the purple box under the dash down low by your left knee above the parking brake and hood release.

Thanks for your help!

Collapse -
How to shut off anti theft system?
by mwburne / December 1, 2008 6:38 AM PST
In reply to: Jeep Anti Theft Device

Did you find out or do you know how to shut off the system? I have had my Jeep for about 4 years and still have problems when my Jeep won't start. Could you offer any feedback as to how to disable the system? Thanks!

Collapse -
1995 jeep cherokee - anrti theft device won't start
by beddy69 / December 8, 2008 4:14 AM PST

After market installed quantum device. Vehicl;e won't start. Any suggestions on how to start and how to disable device. It's on ignition.

Collapse -
anti theft has fuel turned off
by jstrout / February 11, 2009 9:23 AM PST

How do I disable permantly my anti theft on a 1993 jeep grand cherokee laredo

Collapse -
Putting the key in hatch or the passanger door worked!!!
by Dragonwood72 / February 24, 2010 9:55 PM PST

I know this post was from 8-2007 but my 95 jeep wouldnt start, out of the blue, the security system has been messed up, it would go off when i didnt lock the doors. It would never except 1 x, light up the security light on the dash board. things like that. But now that i think about it, i did take out the battery to exchange for a larger battery, since it didnt do it the 1st time i took out the battery i didnt know i had this problem, but the second time i took out the battery it wouldnt start the next morning. I didnt test the car right after i put the battery back in, i got busy. But i'm so happy for reading this forum!! i bought this jeep w/300k on it, so i thought it was just old. Good compression, strong motor doesnt leak, but i thought i couldnt even trade it in if it wont run, i had a list of all the things i needed to check!!
Bravo Cnet & previouse posters, Thanks Abillion, Now i can keep jeepin, till the next problem. lol.

Collapse -
Where is the key nob on the passengers side located?
by kauaiwoman / January 15, 2015 3:47 AM PST

My 1995 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo turns over but does not start. It used to make a noise as if the fuel pump was opening up before starting with the check engine light coming on. But it doesn't make that noise anymore and check engine light doesn't come on. I switched the fuses around to see if it was a fuse. That helped one time but then stopped.
Is it a fuse or a kill switch or what?? I do have problems with this one guy trying to steal my gas. I have two locks on my car's gas door and knob! geeeZ. Thank you for your help!

Collapse -
Did you ever find a solution?
by MimiEa / August 26, 2007 7:49 AM PDT

We seem to have a similar issue...We inherited a 1995 Jeep Cheroke Ltd. Ed. from a family member. Everything has been great so far, the vechicle has been checked over, all is good. The other night I drove home and parked, nothing strange. The next day... dead, completely, won't turn over. When my husband tried to give me a boost, all the lights flash, headlights, dash, interior, clock resets to Jan 01 and a light on the dash that says security comes on... the Jeep turns over but does not seem to "catch." I was told to try to unlock the doors with the remote lock system but that has never worked since I got the vehicle... I don't want to call a tow truck... there is no Jeep dealership in town... is there something we are missing here? Any advice would be GREATLY appreciated!

Collapse -
95 jeep cherokee wont start
by lklingjr / April 22, 2011 12:16 PM PDT

i rescued a 95 jeep cherokee sport from my daughter it had a bad key switch it had melted.well we put in a new one but the battery was dead so i bought a new one the motor would turn over but it would,nt start then after 30 days i too found out at c-net that it had a anti theft device and to take the key and turn each door lock at least three times much to my relief it finaly started.i havent had any problems since.thanks guys you saved me the one thousand dollars the jeep dealer was going to charge me to fix a none existing problem.i dont use these crooks anymore.

Collapse -
Jeep stops
by 1JeepLady / January 27, 2012 9:16 PM PST

I came to the conclusion that my anti-theft device is the problem as well. I can reset the alarm, but it will only run a short while before shutting off again. I have not tried turning the key in each door. I hope this works.

Collapse -
jeep starts and dies imediatly
by t8rdid / November 5, 2014 6:14 PM PST

Iv tried all the advise here got the alarm to stop but still dies two seconds after

Collapse -
95 jeep grand cherokee starts and dies!
by t8rdid / November 7, 2014 3:02 AM PST

It's got no fuel pressure is it because of the alarm going haywire

Collapse -
no start
by fatboyiv3 / May 19, 2005 1:33 PM PDT

Do you have spark when the engine is cranking? if you do it is not likly the crank sensor.
An easy way to test the fuel pump if you do not have fuel presure is have some one bang on the bottom of the gas tank with a rubber hammer while cranking, if it starts then you need a fuel pump. the pump is inside the gas tank.

Collapse -
by dennisdow / May 31, 2005 2:28 AM PDT

What tests have led you to replace the components you have replaced? Do you have ignition spark? Do you have fuel pressure? The EGR solenoid circuit will not prevent the car from starting.

What engine is in vehicle?

If there is no "spark". check the Auto Shut Down Relay, and the crank position sensor.

If there is no fuel, the fuel pump may be faulty. If the pump is faulty, I would reccoment replacing the fuel tank as well. The tank is plastic and can disintegrate and contaminate the new pump cauwsing premature failure.

Hope this helps.

Collapse -
Wont start
by GypsyJon / February 10, 2006 4:29 AM PST

Had the same problem with a 96 Cherokee about 1 month ago. It was the switch in the tranny that locks out the ignition when it is not in Park or Neutral.

It would not start in either of these.

Buy try starting it in Neutral first and wiggle shifter. If it starts, bingo...but in my case it would not start at all

It was a $500 repair here in Atlanta at a reliable repair shop (not dealer)

Collapse -
Jeep Cherokee No Start
by cowboydan0 / April 12, 2006 3:31 AM PDT
In reply to: Wont start

Did this problem come and go? Did you confirm the problem or did a mechanic? Do you know what test were done to confirm the problem? I have a 1999 that will not turn over as though the battery were completey dead. I can move the shifter and then put it back into park. The gauges go crazy and then the vehicle start like there wasn't ever a problem. The problem comes an goes but only happens on occasion.

Collapse -
1999 Jeep XJ no start no crank
by iamstubb / April 29, 2006 1:02 AM PDT
In reply to: Jeep Cherokee No Start

I am having similar issues and wondering what you have found or confirmed.

I have a 1999 Jeep XJ 4.0
7'' lift 35'' tires
I jsut recently installed an Atlas transfer case. My Jeep has stalled once before, and restarted no problem. The last time, I turned the engine off and tried to restart seconds later, nothing. The battery is fully charged, I tried to arc the starter, nothing, the guage cluster goes in an out, sometimes reading no bus. It doesn't crank. Transmision is automatic, tried it in park and neutral, no go.
joebarton at comcast dot net.

Collapse -
Jeep Cherokee No Start
by mattsher / July 17, 2006 6:41 AM PDT
In reply to: Jeep Cherokee No Start

I am now experiencing this same problem with 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee Ltd. Doesn't start and then when it suddenly does all elctrical is whacky - clock goes to midnight, radio stations change and air conditioner turns itself on at 22 degrees celius. Same everytime. Did anyone find a solution to this problem?

Collapse -
Won't Start
by ricstan / April 6, 2007 6:23 AM PDT

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee and have the same problem. If I pull on the shifter a little, while it is in park, it starts. It is the cutoff sensor in the tranny. No way am I spending more $$ on a 12 yr old care. If it works this way for now....I'll take it.

Collapse -
Park-neutral switch
by mtrsv / September 9, 2008 5:55 PM PDT

Don't forget to check the starter relay.

Collapse -
94 jeep wont start
by norftags / February 21, 2006 3:15 AM PST

Have a 94 gr cherokee. New fuel filter, Rotor,Cap, Plugs,Wires,Coil.Have fuel in cylinders,spark.Still wont start. Yess I have a key and the engine cranks!! Can someone help?Much appreciated!!!

Collapse -
by Rich_spin2003 / June 28, 2006 9:45 PM PDT
In reply to: 94 jeep wont start

hi mate ive got same prob did u sort if so tell me the secret please thanks mike

Collapse -
94 no start
by Kichichu / July 8, 2006 11:01 AM PDT

replace your crank shaft sensor with a dealership part, my 94 would turn over but not start, replaced the sensor with a napa part worked for awhile yet was told by others it wouldn't ''hold up'' didn't after 2 months got the dealership problems

Collapse -
crankshaft sensor replacement
by 94 jeep ed / May 21, 2007 10:31 AM PDT
In reply to: 94 no start

hi can i ask you to try and remember for me what size bolts and what tool used to take the two crankshaft bolts out of the engine thanks, ED i have a 94 5.2

Collapse -
Sure Can!
by JPLVR / July 14, 2007 1:02 AM PDT

The size should be 11 mm or 3/8. But almost everything on a Jeep is Metric so stick with the metric if you don't want to strip anything. You also may need alot of extensions if your taking them out from the bottom end. This seems to be the easiest way unless you have girlie hands. Good Luck!

Collapse -
Jeep Cherokee Won't Start
by beerandwineman / August 27, 2007 12:27 PM PDT

The security alarm can be subtly deceiving and lock out the owner with a fuel cut-off switch if it's been activated. If the battery or anything else that triggers the security system has been activated especially after sitting and changing the battery, it will shut off the electric fuel pump with a cut-off relay. Take off the ground for the battery for a few minutes, then put it back on and your flashers should be blinking. Then use the key to the left and to the right in the driver's door and/or the rear hatch. One of them should make the flashers stop, and the vehicle may then start. You can also ground the purple and black wire to the alarm near your left foot in the kick plate by the parking brake.

Hope this helps!

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.