Car Tech forum

General discussion

1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, will not start / no spark

by rz03103 / August 17, 2007 8:18 AM PDT

I have a 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, 4.0L with Manual Transmition that will not start.

The engine cranks but I am not getting any spark.

When attempting to start I can hear the fuel pump engaging and after several attempts you can smell gas in the engine compartment.

The rotor, distribitor cap, spark plugs and wires have all been changed within the last 1000 miles and before this no starting problem was running well.

Visual check of the rotor shows that it is rotating when cranking engine.

The first thing I did was to change the pick up, same results.

Next I changed the coil, still nothing.

I removed the Crank Positioning Sensor and it tested good and reinstalled it.

I traced the wiring harness from the Crank Positioning Sensor to the ECM (PCM). Under the ECM there is a large connector where I found a broken wire but after inspection of the Connector also found some corrosion. I removed the Connector and reconnected the wires, wire to wire using butt connectors. Still will not start.

I tested thye MAP sensor and am getting a 4.5 reading, so the sensor is testing good.

I checked all fuses, the Auto Shut Down Relay and ignition relays and all tested good.

I have also rechecked the grounds from alsong side the coil and all have been cleaned and attached firmly.

Any suggestions on what I have missed?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, will not start / no spark
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1995 Jeep Cherokee Sport, will not start / no spark
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
try replacing the CPS anyway.
by nlinc / September 5, 2007 7:46 AM PDT

I had the exact same problem on my 1999 Cherokee 4.0L (auto transmission). I tested everything, including the crankshaft position sensor, and everything seemed to test good. After getting a new distributor and ignition coil we were stumped. Ended up retesting everything and tested the CPS the right way, tested bad. Replaced it and it started right up. Some Jeep people told me the difference in a test between a good and bad CPS is so slight its almost not worth testing them and should just be replaced.
So you may want to try a new one, even if you think it tested good.

Collapse -
i had this prob
by tom8600 / February 6, 2009 10:02 AM PST

it maybe the factory alarm it cuts spak to the motor hit the lock/unlock three time from the passenger door or go to the pass side bottom kick plate and bypass the alarm by cutting the purple and yellow wire hooked into the black spot and ground it to the chassis it worked for me

Collapse -
same problem
by Cookie1965 / January 4, 2008 7:17 PM PST

Buddy, I'm in the exact same situation, with 1 exception - I replaced my crank positioning sensor with new - all i can suggest is keep searching the forums.

Collapse -
any luck?
by kmitch80 / July 8, 2008 8:31 AM PDT

were you able to have any luck fixing this problem? im in the exact same position and need sum help

Collapse -
I have 96 jeep cher. sport that won't start either
by staniel2 / August 12, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

This thing cranks but will not start. Went to dealer shop for cat converter recall and the jeep hasn't started since. They said there work had nothing to do with it and pushed it outside. I trailered it home no spark at coil. Tested first then started replacing! Replaced coil, cap, rotor, crank sensor, ecu. fuses, relays. Nothing works. Help please!!

Collapse -
96 jeep
by staniel2 / August 12, 2008 4:26 AM PDT

ps; rotor is turning on the 96 cher. everything electricial in car is working also

Collapse -
Same Problem
by darthdiablo / August 16, 2008 3:30 AM PDT

I had the same problem and after replacing the cap, rotor, crank position sensor, wires, plugs, and anything else I could think of I gave up and took it to a local mechanic.

The mechanic was able to determine the lack of spark was traced back to a bad Oxygen Sensor. I changed the Oxygen Sensor myself but I had to buy a special socket to do the job. The sensor cost me about $55 and the socket was about $15.

I hope this help; I know how frustrating this can be.

Good Luck

Collapse -
Me too
by baraka03e8 / August 24, 2010 7:33 AM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

Yeah I replaced the o2 sensor then spark plugs and wires new battery new battery csables and distributer cap rotor button coil pack finally after all that took it to a local mechanic he said it was an oxygen crank 200 dollars and its ran great sense.

Collapse -
95 Grand Cherokee "No Spark"
by jeepecmwoes / November 27, 2010 8:38 AM PST
In reply to: Me too

I have a 95 Grand Cherokee 4.0. It died as if someone had pulled the coil wire.

I found that there was no spark and replaced the following;
Crankshaft Position Sensor
Pickup Coil
Coil Wire

No change. I also noticed a clicking coming from the fuel pump relay so I replaced relays and fuses.

Still, cranks, but no start, no spark...In addition the speedometer was reading 10 mph with key in on position.

Replace ECM. Still, no change. Yes it was programmed.

Midas, by the way, diagnosed the ECM issue and told me I need a new one. $500 later, the condition is unchanged. They (Midas) is now saying the ECM is not communicating.

Help! Please.

Collapse -
Same Issue Here 1995 model
by reveille88 / June 12, 2015 4:02 PM PDT

I'm having the same problem. After changing everything mentioned above from wires to coil to cps sensor and new battery the mechanic said that it had to be the pcm.
First he tried to clear the pcm (said it could be full of codes from all the work done) but the adaptor to the 1995 model is hard to find. My last hope is to find it and see if that heals the wound.

Collapse -
by scottclmbr / May 31, 2014 4:27 PM PDT
In reply to: Same Problem

which o2 sensor did you replace. Is the car still running well? Thanks! Scott

Collapse -
Jeep Issues!
by luvjammin08 / August 18, 2011 8:27 AM PDT

Did you ever figure out the problem? We have the same problem have replaced everything there is on the thing even the head gasket have fiddled with timing but theres just no spark please email back if you can!!

Collapse -
quick fix
by autobodyman / September 1, 2011 12:54 PM PDT
In reply to: Jeep Issues!

I had this exact problem and tried everything posted here the soltion to my problem lied in the factory alarm system with the vehicle shut down function. If your vehicle has the power lock function try pushing the unlock switch three times on the passenger side door it sounds dumb but it some how resets the system I was absolutely astounished to find that trick worked nothin beats the feeling when you hit the key and it fires up right away also try replaceing the relay to that function in the fuse block next to the overflow tank

Collapse -
factory alarm?
by jakep88 / November 10, 2011 3:41 AM PST
In reply to: quick fix
Hi i have a 1995 cherokee sport 4.0 and i am in the same position. i have changed plugs, wires, cps, distributor, cap, and rotor, along with the coil. im getting results that sound as if the car wants to turn over however it is not starting. i checked fuel, even tested with starting fluid all seems good there. as i crank the car over it sounds as if it sparks once or twice but will not start...

how do i know if my car has a factory alarm as sugested preiously and how can i disarm it???

Thanks for any help i can get!

Collapse -
Same Problem
by ButlerFamily7 / September 22, 2012 5:01 AM PDT

Did you ever get this problem fixed? Or is any one out there have or had this problem any got it fixed?

Collapse -
88 Cherokee EFI 4x4 4.0l My fix for the same issue.
by Berettaar70 / September 16, 2015 6:28 PM PDT

I went through everything Coil, Ignition on the column, CrankPSx2, CamPS, MAP, TPS, ECU Starter Relay, Starter, Ignition Barrel, but my fix came from replacing the ICU (Ignition Control Unit). As soon as I hit the key it fired right up. The thing the coil sits in was my culprit and I replaced it with one from the junkyard.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.