Car Tech forum

General discussion

1992 Jeep cherokee not starting

by REB57 / November 27, 2007 9:37 PM PST

92 cherokee wont start, inline 6, 4.0, had trouble a few times, was getting no fuel, then eventually would start, months later, repeat, would finally start,now, wont start, no fuel pressure, had fuel pump out, was working, put it back in, it started up, tried few hours later and wouldnt start again, thinking maybe a weak pump, I installed a new one, did not check to make sure it worked even though it is new, but I am assuming it is good and still something else. So far I have changed, the pump, the filter,fuel regulator, fuel relay, and the crankshaft sensor. Have not yet changed the cam sensor, but that is next, what am I missing here? Is there a fuel shutoff somewhere? Would a bad map sensor keep it from starting?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1992 Jeep cherokee not starting
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1992 Jeep cherokee not starting
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Still a no go
by REB57 / November 29, 2007 10:08 AM PST

well I changed the cam sensor and still a no go. I did check the fuel pump and it is working when jumped, and got fuel to the rail, but I have no juice going back to the pump when trying to start it. What is left, the control box? If I take it off and take it in, can it be checked and reprogramed if necessary, or does it have to stay in the vehicle?

Collapse -
re: still no go
by Poisonapp1e / December 1, 2007 3:44 AM PST
In reply to: Still a no go

I had a similar problem with my 96 Grand Cherokee. Same four liter, six cylinder engine. It would simply stop running randomly, but infrequently. Then it would just not start. After some time, from a minute or two, up to several minutes, it would turn but not fire. My mechanic diagnosed it as the "crankshaft position sensor". Replaced that and have never had a problem since. Hope that solves it.

Collapse -
Got It Finally
by REB57 / December 1, 2007 5:54 AM PST
In reply to: re: still no go

Well finally got it, the only 2 things I hadnt done was the ballast on the fender, which I was told this could be the problem, but I did by pass it and it made no difference and I was going to go take it in and have it checked at the shop, but the mechanic said could take couple hours at least and really from what I had told him that the only thing left was the control module or computer, well it started right up. He did tell me as well that under the distributer cap and rotor, is the "pick up" plate, he said that can and does go bad as well and will shut everything down. He also mentioned that the distributers themself's have a tendency to break on the inline 6's. Mopar wanted $440 for the module, O'reillys, $160, so I am back on the road just in time for the wintery roads.

Collapse -
Question about fuel pump
by dwrb11 / December 18, 2008 7:00 AM PST
In reply to: Got It Finally

I have the same have the same jeep and am having the same symptoms you had. i have done the same things other than change the computer. I was putting that off till last becuase of the money.

I was just wondering though if before you changed the computer you could still hear the fuel pump turning on? Because i can hear mine turning on still.

Collapse -
Ballast
by saltysarge / September 5, 2009 8:28 AM PDT
In reply to: Got It Finally

where is the ballest on the fender I changed the coil,wires,plugs and other things and mine still wont start and can't getthe ignition module out unless I take the distributor out so I would like to try the ballest first

Collapse -
1992 jeep cherokee
by saltysarge / September 24, 2009 9:00 AM PDT
In reply to: Ballast

Will a vaccum leak cause this vehicle to not spark I have changed the whole distributor wires plugs crankshaft sensor what next?

Collapse -
Ballest Resistor
by unkron / August 26, 2010 5:45 AM PDT
In reply to: Ballast

The parts supplyer I use told me on a 92 on the ballast resistor on the fender is for the ABS brake system ....

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.