Car Tech forum

General discussion

1990 Jeep Cherokee Leaking Water

by JeepsterJess / December 25, 2006 12:41 PM PST

My Jeep Cherokee has been leaking water into the passanger side floor for as long as I can remember. It has been in my family since my parents bought it new. There is no visible leaking around the doorseal or dripping onto the carpet. I even took off all of the plastic molding and checked it multiple times.
I suspect it is comming in somewhere by the firewall and running under my carpet then getting soaked up. But I cannot find where it would be comming in at.
Anyone got any ideas?? or have had this problem before?? Please let me know!!!
Thanks!!!

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1990 Jeep Cherokee Leaking Water
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1990 Jeep Cherokee Leaking Water
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Leak
by 110oceanview / December 25, 2006 11:33 PM PST

It could be a heater core or a clogged or misrouted a/c drain line doing this. Good Luck! ART

Collapse -
Thanks
by JeepsterJess / December 26, 2006 3:25 AM PST
In reply to: Leak

thanks, I will look into that! Happy

Collapse -
leak
by z28jeep / January 12, 2007 3:37 AM PST
In reply to: Thanks

Yeah I would go with the heater core as well, or heater lines my jeep did the same thing and mine was a rotten heater core, i replaced it and never had the problem again.

Collapse -
It's fixed.
by JeepsterJess / January 12, 2007 5:37 AM PST
In reply to: leak

Thanks, but i actually found the problem and it is fixed now. and it didn't cost me a thing. Thanks!

Collapse -
leaking Jeep
by yungfred / January 14, 2007 11:23 AM PST
In reply to: It's fixed.

My 1999 Cherokee is leaking into the floorboards and back as well. I think it is weatherstripping as it leaks when it is parked and it is raining outside. What was your discovery?

Collapse -
Re: Leaking Jeep
by JeepsterJess / January 14, 2007 12:24 PM PST
In reply to: leaking Jeep

I found with mine that there was a hose that came from a fan attached to the firewall on the passenger side under the hood, this hose is supoed to be plugged into a spot in the firewall---a drain tube. It is kind of difficult to get to.....the hose has a 90 degree bend in it right before it goes into the firewall. Make sure that it is plugged in. Once I plugged it in there was no more leaking....I also found that since this had been going on the water slowly wicks back into the back passenger carpet. Mine has been dry ever since!!!

If your cargo area in the rear, carpet is wet when it is not raining take a hose and run it along around your rear hatch door while closed and see if water leaks in around the window, or door seal. Mine was leaking around both....and therefore I got new seals. and it is fixed!! THis works well if you have someone sitting in the back of your jeep watching around the hatch door to see where the water comes in. Hope this helps!! Let me know if it works!!

Collapse -
Thanks
by yungfred / January 15, 2007 9:46 PM PST
In reply to: Re: Leaking Jeep

Thanks for the tip, I will give that a try.

Collapse -
Passenger side compartment leak
by sandy claws / October 18, 2007 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Thanks

I have heard where a great many folks have this problem. I have a 97 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I discovered the floormat on the passenger side was damp. That turned out to be an understatement. I had just returned from Ft. Meyers Florida and when I lifted the carpet I ended up removing the passenger seat and raising the entire carpet on the passenger side and actually had to bail out the water. I found the water had come from the A/C evaporator. I drilled a hole through the round part of the bottom of the plenum and ran a speedometer cable through the hole to clear any obstructions, but that didn't do it. I ended up pulling out the dash and removing the plenum. After opening the plenum I discovered a blockage of leaves and debris preventing the water that condensed on the evap. from draining. I cleaned it out and reinstalled it. In my musings about the internet I have found out that Jeep had initially put a grille(cowl) on the intake side of the ventilation system that had holes that were too large. They now have a new grille with a new number. I just cut some fiberglass screening and hot-glued it to the old plastic grille. A lot of work but problem solved. I can only imagine what that would have cost at a dealer!

Collapse -
Another question about the hose leaking water
by stepny0501 / June 18, 2007 1:21 AM PDT

You mentioned it was hard to get to. Can you describe exactly where it is and how to get to it? My daughter's Jeep is doing the same thing and we are pretty sure this is the problem. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Collapse -
1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee water leak
by sjmoreno77 / September 20, 2007 10:55 AM PDT

I have a huge leak only when it rains or I wash the car. My passenger side floods with water and cant find the source. The A/C was checked and works well, all weather stripping is ok. I found it comming from somewhere behind the fuse box. I dissasembled the front fender and could not find a thing. Could someone have any ideas?
Steve

Collapse -
1996 jeep grd cherokee
by kk6pp1 / July 17, 2010 10:54 AM PDT

water leaking inside passenger side floor board

Collapse -
Leaking 1998 Jeep Cherokee Sport - Water in passenger floor
by papakevin / October 31, 2007 12:07 PM PDT

I just started getting water in the passenger floorboard of my Jeep. I purchased it new and never had any troubles up til about 6 months ago. It's not my heater core because the water is clear (no antifreeze) and appears to be rain water. The door seal seems good, so I'm at a lost where to look.

Recently here in Louisville, we finally got some heavy rain and I probably got about 3 liters of water in the floor! Help if you can!

papakevin@gmail.com

Collapse -
Leak in passenger front floor board
by jeepjim / December 26, 2008 5:50 AM PST

I read your find, on your problem and I am wondering if you can tell me exactly where this fan is and the hose you are speaking of.
Thanks,
Jim

Collapse -
To clarify
by CptAmerica274 / August 4, 2010 2:40 AM PDT
Collapse -
Water leak inside..
by MistyLyn / October 16, 2011 2:58 AM PDT
In reply to: To clarify

I purchased a 92 Jeep Cherokee with a straight 6, gave it a good washing and then noticed water in the front floor board on both the driver and passenger sides. On my Jeep it looks like the fan that you are talking about is behind my windshield washer reservoir under the hood. From the inside it looks like I am unable to access that area?

Collapse -
jeep floor leak
by pafrey / October 23, 2007 5:45 PM PDT

you said u found problem what was it???????? realy would love an answer. thank you!!

Collapse -
Not the Answer, But Have Another Question!
by 92_Jeep-SL / March 8, 2008 12:46 AM PST
In reply to: jeep floor leak

I have a 1992 Jeep Cherokee, and have been getting alot of water inot my jeep. It's only on the passenger side, but i believe its coming in from my moonroof! My roof is damp from the inside all around it, but dont know how its getting to the floor and only on the passenger side!

Please! If you have an answer or any suggestions please e-mail me @
Xpaintball13@yahoo.com

Collapse -
Moon Roof Leaks
by Mommieof2Girls0508 / March 13, 2011 6:50 AM PDT

We have the same problem with our moonroof. we dont know how we can fix it.

Collapse -
Fixing your problem
by Zook9559 / March 25, 2011 11:23 AM PDT

How did you do it? You didn't say. I have the same leak in my 1997 Grand Cherokee and only one is daring to say he knows what/how to fix it.... Please share what you did!

Collapse -
99 jeep cherokee leak
by pshandford / January 2, 2010 1:32 AM PST
In reply to: leak

Can you have a leak from the heat coil and the heater still be working fine?

Collapse -
Cowl leak
by sapodelmar / July 31, 2008 6:35 AM PDT

I have a 2000 Jeep Cherokee that had rain leaking into the front passenger floor board. After taking everything apart multiple times and resealing the windshield, etc, tracked the leak down to the HVAC fan. It passes through the firewall, and there is only cheap foam to keep any water that dribbles down the firewall from entering the passenger compartment.

Fix was relatively simple, although not sure how it will stand the test of time. Removed the EVAP canister purge solenoid in the corner of the engine compartment on the passenger side (next to the a/c evap canister) in order to access the fan. Then put high quality silicone around the inside of the opening in the firewall that accommodates the fan. Be sure to completely cover the foam!

So far has worked, we'll see how it survives the New England winters.

Collapse -
2001 Jeep Cherokee Leaking From Hose on Passenger Side
by juste rire / August 7, 2010 1:42 AM PDT
In reply to: Cowl leak

Our Jeep after a rain will have standing water in the passenger floor board. after much investigation, we have noticed a hose that runs along the upper "body" passenger frame. when you open the door, you remove the plastice that goes along the inside of the door opening (of the body of the car) to the dash. there is a hose that seems to be rotten, becasue when you try to move it it just breaks and crumbles. we haven't removed much of the upper interior to follow the hose from begining to end, but it seems to run toward the rear. Not sure if it has anything to do with the moon roof. But when it rains it leaks from this hose. we want to sell the jeep and don't want to dump a lot of money into it. any suggestions? thanks! Happy

Collapse -
1998 Jeep Cherokee leak
by jfsjr92 / September 30, 2010 7:18 AM PDT

it rained the other night and there was standing water on my front passenger floor mats. i am going to look at the hose after i get off work and see how it goes.

Collapse -
2001 jeep cherokee leaking
by mbdude / May 16, 2011 9:23 AM PDT

I just had the same problem with my jeep, if you have a moonroof, that hose you are talking about goes the the drain for the roof. I replaced it with a new hose from Lowes, the ID is 3/8", you will need 6 ft to get the hose to the floor drain. I had some time getting the hose through the dash, but got it done and to the floor drain(you will need to get some RTV sealent to use on each end of the hose to make sure it does not leak). I had to open the head liner on that side, but that was not that bad. Had to remove the visor, hand hold and molding around the moonroof. Total time for the job minus drying out the carpet was about 2 hours. I would suggest that you wait at least 12 hours before subjecting it to washing of rain. Hope this will help, if you don't have a moonroof, can't help you.

Collapse -
Did it fix the problem?
by dmetcalf808 / December 25, 2010 6:40 AM PST
In reply to: Cowl leak

i think i have the same problem with my jeep and was curious if that fix is still working for you since it has been a few years from your post.

Collapse -
SIMILAR PROBLEM, HERE WAS MY SOLUTION
by sasquatch711 / July 10, 2012 3:56 PM PDT

ok, so I had the same problem just starting with my 1991 cherokee. clear, clean water had begun leaking on the passenger side floor pan though I hadn't been near any water lately. I had also noticed that my AC wasn't working well (inconsistent cooling and felt muggy in the cabin) though the system was fully charged and seemed to operate correctly. I had noticed as well that even on the hottest days that I never saw any water dripping on the ground from the drain AC tube and it made me wonder... so with a flashlight i peeked at the end of the hose and surprise surprise it was totally blocked. as i was messing with it it began to drip. I thought well, thats got to be it and as i was working with it all of the sudden released a huge gush of water on the ground, about a pint or more of water suddenly rushed out of the tube. I have yet to test it but, I believe that the drain was so backed up that the water was searching for an outlet and it found one on the passenger floor pan. I don't know how much water was backed up in there but, all the components must have been just swimming. I can't wait to see how my AC works now. it should be much more efficient!

Collapse -
2001 Driver's side floor flooded
by chavez1964 / February 22, 2014 6:53 AM PST

We live in Seattle and it rains all the time. I first thought it was the windshield, replaced. When it rains it only soaked on the driver's side of the floor. There is a hole in the carpet to the left of the car that seems to puddle.

Any help is greatly appreciated. I keep towels and keep ringing them out.

Thanks

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Tech explained

Do you know what an OLED TV is?

CNET explains how OLED technology differs from regular TVs, and what you need to know to make the right shopping decision.