Storage forum

16 GB computer memory

by spadeskingtx / April 18, 2013 3:26 PM PDT

I am thinking about building a computer based on the MSI Big Bang X Power II Intel X79 2011 Motherboard
which has 8 dimm memory slots and claims it can handle max memory of 128 GB. Here is my problem.

As I search for memory I either find memory that looks like it would be incompatible or come in no larger than 8 GB sticks. Search engines on crucial and others take my 128 GB query and alter it showing me 128 MB memory.

To be clear. To get 128 GB RAM spread across 8 dimms each one will have to hold 16 GB. So a 16 GB that provides that via 2x8 or 4x4 are useless. I need to find 8x16.

What is the fastest, most reliable memory that comes in single 16 GB dimm sticks compatible with listed MSI Big Bang X Power II Intel X79 2011 Motherboard?

And perhaps even more important how can I get to the appropriate store or web site to actually make that purchase and get it in my greedy little hands?

Answer This Ask For Clarification
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 16 GB computer memory
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 16 GB computer memory
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.

All Answers

Collapse -
Did you check with the MB MFG ? They usually
by VAPCMD / April 19, 2013 11:58 AM PDT
In reply to: 16 GB computer memory

list compatible RAM for their products but given the cost of the 16GB modules, I wouldn't expect to see many listed. AT $200/16GB module, it will be awhile before 16GB modules are mainstream or reasonably priced.

Collapse -
by spadeskingtx / April 19, 2013 2:34 PM PDT

I tried checking the MSI website but did not find what I was looking for. Need both what is compatible and where to buy it.

Collapse -
PS.....Crucial sells 16GB DIMMs but I'd be real real
by VAPCMD / April 19, 2013 12:18 PM PDT

sure that the MB will function with all DIMMs filled with max speed/density DIMMs you want.

NOTE: MB mfg have had varying degrees of success with full population of max density DIMMs

Collapse -
Was not aware of this
by spadeskingtx / April 19, 2013 2:36 PM PDT

Thanks for sharing. Was not aware of an issue with full population. Guess this is another angle I need to research.

Collapse -
Re: 128 GB
by Kees_B Forum moderator / April 27, 2013 8:40 PM PDT

For what purpose do you need a computer with 128 GB of RAM?

The only use I can think of is to use it as a server to run SAP HANA or a comparable in-memory database. But I wouldn't do that on a computer I built myself.

Collapse -
reason for memory size
by spadeskingtx / May 2, 2013 5:59 AM PDT
In reply to: Re: 128 GB

I use and support some specialized applications that are very memory and resource hogs.
Plus I intend to use some of the memory for ramdrives to speed up certain functions that are disk intensive.

I did find out why I have been having difficulty finding the 16 GB memory dimms. Talked to a salesman at Frys about the MSI motherboard and he told me they do not yet make that memory for mainstream. He said that is more of a future thing so it will be ready for it when it is available. That explains why the Frys site had no such animal. Also explains why the Amazon site did not have it listed among recommended additional purchases when looking up the motherboard on that site. Still would have been nice if the MSI site had been a little more clear on that point.

So my hunt is over.

I am going with the Asus Rampage motherboard instead. If I populated the MSI board with 8 GB dimms now I would not want to just toss them out when 16 GB becomes available.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.