Laptops forum

General discussion

15.4 inch widescreen notebook. Whats your choice and why?

by 2am / January 1, 2006 5:27 PM PST

First, I would just love to say I love the 15.4 inch widescreen notebooks because they're not monsters like the 17 inch notebooks, yet still are portable, and the screens are perfected sized. Not too big, but not too small either. Yeah I know they're not as portable as the smaller screened notebooks, but i'll stick with the 15.4 notebooks.

I was thinking about waiting for the new 15.4 inch notebook to drop from Sony. But the Lenova 15.4 widescreen has caught my eye.

I like how Sony is coming out with all the new built in montion eye on their notebooks. They look really cool. But the Lenova has some cool features to it as well, although the cosmetic features are still rather the same. I don't know, I just can't seem to get with having a school notebook! Cuz almost every hs that I know of, carries only IBM notebooks. Long story but ehhhh. Thats the downside for me.

I don't know, but i'm really feelin' the new vaio's that Sony's droppin. The Xbrite technology, and the built-in motion eye for video conferencing.

1. The motion eye was a big plus for me, because I don't have to go out and buy a webcam. And it looks better IMO, because there's not like this "Thing" that just sticks out onto of the notebook.
2. The cosmetic features are pretty nice. End of that.
3. I know Vaio's are expensive, but I don't mind. And i've messed around with Vaio's before, and I like what it has to offer. Although battery will be a big factor in consideration too because I'll be mobile alot.

Anyways thats my 2 cents. What are your 15.4 widescreen picks and why?

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 15.4 inch widescreen notebook. Whats your choice and why?
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 15.4 inch widescreen notebook. Whats your choice and why?
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Acer Ferrari 4000
by hijack masta 2 / January 2, 2006 4:04 AM PST
Collapse -
I second the Ferrari
by ihs97 / January 2, 2006 4:32 AM PST
In reply to: (NT) Acer Ferrari 4000

mobile, attractive, excellent screen real estate and a great processor//vid card. This is the perfect solution for graphic designers//video editors that don't want to throw away hundreds of dollars into Apple's marketing campaign.

Collapse -
A Third..
by CrashT / January 24, 2006 7:23 AM PST
In reply to: I second the Ferrari

A friend of mine just bought himself one.. Can't wait to see it.

Collapse -
And a closely related alternative...
by efalis / January 28, 2006 2:29 AM PST
In reply to: A Third..
Collapse -
the new dv5000z
by damasta55r / January 2, 2006 4:25 AM PST

turion technology in a 15.4" notebook with the best integrated graphics in a notebook.

Roger

Collapse -
I agree for the HP Pavilion dv5000z !
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / January 2, 2006 7:36 AM PST
In reply to: the new dv5000z

Very nice laptop. Since it is on the market, I study it and I think it's this laptop that I will buy in 2 or 3 weeks.

Collapse -
post a review of DV5000z
by MikeMH / January 3, 2006 2:41 AM PST

I'm looking into buying the HP DV5000z, but there are no reviews out yet. Somebody please post one to Notebookreviews.com, thanks.

Collapse -
Check out the price at Costco
by relivsatx / February 7, 2006 12:54 AM PST

Costco.com is selling this unit for under $800 after rebates with a 1.8 Gig processor, 512 RAM, 60 gig hd, 128 mg video.

Collapse -
what about the graphics card???
by jlennon427 / February 17, 2006 12:11 PM PST

the dv5000z only has a ATI Radeon XPRESS 200M graphics card. There are better cards on 15.4 laptops. I was considering this computer too but couldnt get over the card.

Collapse -
good enough
by MikeMH / February 17, 2006 12:45 PM PST

I'm a power-user, but a non-gamer. The XPRESS graphics card is more-than powerful enough for what I need.

Collapse -
TOSHIBA Satellite A75-S209 15.4" TFT
by jack52 / January 2, 2006 9:32 AM PST

I really like mine:

TOSHIBA Satellite A75-S209 15.4" TFT
Pentium 4 306MHz CPU 532 3067MHz supporting HT Technology
ATI Mobility Radeon 9000 IGP with 128mb ram memory
896MB DDRRAM usable memory, 60GB HD, DVD/CD-RW Combo
Integrated Atheros 802.11 Super G Wireless Chipset
Cooling pad with 4-usb & 9-in-one Flash Memory Card Reader

Collapse -
Pentium 4 !

Never buy a laptop with a Pentium 4 in it ! The Pentium 4 will overheat and will do damages on others components !

Collapse -
Not necessarily true
by efalis / January 28, 2006 2:30 AM PST
In reply to: Pentium 4 !

I've had a Fujitsu E7110 for close to three years. No damage.

Collapse -
It's happened though.
by MechNinja / February 19, 2006 9:59 AM PST
In reply to: Not necessarily true

But it HAS happened before though. My Dell Inspiron 8500 has a P4M, 2.2 GHz, and it burned the video card in it. The video card itself was an nVidia....GeForce 4 4200 GO, I believe. It was fried and had to replace it. Yes, it happened after 2 years since my purchase. It's been a while, but still a pain in the rear to go through all the calls to order the component.

Collapse -
little bit of a generalisation
by steviesteveo / February 21, 2006 6:49 AM PST
In reply to: Pentium 4 !

this doesn't follow otherwise no one would sell them, you either don't own a PIV notebook or you owned a rare faulty one. perhaps you should realise that desktop computers burn out too

Collapse -
Try Asus
by TTupa / January 2, 2006 2:04 PM PST

It may not be the most widely known. However, Asus laptops maybe one of the industry's best secrets.

Check out the Asus Z70Va. It's a 15.4" notebook that weighs under 6lbs!! It's customizeable and the battery life is very good. It also scores major points in the style category.

Asus laptops come with a global warranty, and are among the best built of them all.

Maybe you've made your decision, but here's another log for the fire...

http://store.agearnotebooks.com/asusz70vaspec.html

Collapse -
Asus and HP dv5000z review
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / January 3, 2006 5:56 AM PST
In reply to: Try Asus

The ASUS doesn't have a 64 bits technology. I think if you buy a Pentium M Sonoma or Dothan ( 32 Bits processor ) it's a poor buying without goal. Some applications start to be in 64 bits ! Why buy a 32 bits processor ?

If yu want the best processor for the future, go with the AMD Turion 64 with the HP dv5000z.

The HP dv5000z doesn't have a review because it is not available on the market and stores. It just arrive in the HP website so person have one. But if you want to have a review, look for the HP dv8000z on CNET.COM. The dv5000z is the really the samething ( I studied it many hours ! ) than the dv8000z but with a 15.4 " widescreen display. Same connections, same processors and same components.

Collapse -
dv5000z is available in some stores
by MikeMH / January 3, 2006 6:07 AM PST

There are some stores carrying the dv5000z. Try www.costco.com.

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Well, not at Montr
Collapse -
HP dv5000z review finally (PC World)...Ghost26 read this
by MikeMH / January 5, 2006 4:21 PM PST
Collapse -
(NT) (NT) Thank you very much !
Collapse -
I would only get the Z60m if...
by Nooorm / January 3, 2006 12:10 AM PST

...you want the best notebook(s) built, with the best service and support, with the best security/protection features, and the highest customer satisfaction.

Otherwise...buy whatever looks the coolest.

Collapse -
Buy for now
by TTupa / January 3, 2006 6:12 PM PST

Not many mainstream apps are 64 bit, and if they are there is a 32 bit version also available. It will be several years before 32 bit applications are phased out, and many will still run great!

The Pentium M is often times faster, runs cooler, and uses much less battery than the Turion-64. That is why it is the most widely used notebook processor right now. The Sonoma/Dothan will more than handle what you'll throw at it for a long time to come.

By the time 64 bit technology has really peaked, the Turion will be a distant memory.

The bottom line is...buy for now. That is to say, do not discount the Pentium-M just because it is not 64 bit. It is an extremely quality processor.

Collapse -
I agree with you but ...
by Ghost26-20878886633866019035262628200812 / January 4, 2006 12:16 AM PST
In reply to: Buy for now

It's a very good investment to buy an AMD Turion processor in his laptop. Windows Vista will be in 64 bits technology ( also in 32 bits but we will have more fun with the 64 bits WinkHappy ).

Ok. The Pentium M run cooler and use less battery, but I'm not sure if they run faster than the Turion. If you take a Turion ML-40 vs a Pentium M 770 ( 2.13 Ghz ), I think the Turion is the best and AMD is better than Intel for games ...

""The bottom line is...buy for now."". With all respect, I desagree with you. Never in data processing you must buy for now. Always buy for the future when it's possible. If you always buy for now, you will have some problems in the future !

Collapse -
That makes sense
by TTupa / January 4, 2006 4:39 AM PST

Maybe I did get ahead of myself when I said the P-M is faster. I just don't want someone to discount it, because it is an extremely quality processor.

What I meant by buy for now is that a person should consider the most proven technology to run what they need when they are buying. It is always nice to keep in mind what one might need in the future, when possible.

In this case, and Ghost is right, the AMD is a good choice. Either processor would run really well. Stray outside of those two, leaving aside new Yonah and Merom notebooks, and I'd be weary.

Collapse -
web page displayed incorrectly
by mrtigr2005 / January 5, 2006 7:43 PM PST

hello;
I appreciate it if you can just answer a question for me about your laptop 15.4 inch screen.
I have a dell b130 14.4 inch laptop. I use optimum broadband service through an wireless linksys router and a cable line. non internet displays are fine! the total screen area is utilized. It is when I use the internet that I find that the text from web pages that I am browsing do not display across the entire screen but seem more centered and narrower. there is nothing but 3-4 inches of whitespace on either side of the text area. I have tried the ''max'' button as well as the "larger" text option. I noticed on 1 or 2 web sites that this doesn't occur. Have you encountered this problem?

Collapse -
pavilion 5000
by Rich_R / January 21, 2006 2:51 AM PST

I was looking around for a quality notebook that could do office functions and some math processing while I am away from my desk. I picked up the pavilion 5000 and am waiting to receive it. It is priced similarly to the Dell Inspiron 6000 if you use an online coupon.

Mine has the 2Ghz Turion Chip, 1 gig memory, 80 5400 rpm drive, Bluetooth, 128 meg video, Windows Media. Add in a printer and free shipping and this was just over $1200.

I recommend getting the academic pricing which essentially gives you the same as Costco. Anyone who is a student or teacher can buy it for you.

When it comes I will write a review.

rr

Collapse -
The dv5000z
by nuthinlikerubbin / January 21, 2006 12:25 PM PST

is a great machine in my opinion. It comes with a great AMD chip that will outperform the single core Intel Pentium M chips, nice integrated graphics....looks very sleek and stylish and I feel that HP has the best customer service of most companies.

Collapse -
cust. service
by Rich_R / January 22, 2006 3:16 AM PST
In reply to: The dv5000z

Another note. I called because 4 days after ordering my notebook the price dropped by $45. They gave me the lower price AND it only took 10 minutes AND the people were good enough to do it without transfering me. Very Nice!

Collapse -
best customer support
by msureshkr / January 25, 2006 9:09 AM PST
In reply to: cust. service

I also had the same good experience with the customer support. Prices came down after I bought it, the cs person gave me teh credit for the different immediately....
I would go with hp products and Big NO to dell

Popular Forums
icon
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
icon
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
icon
Laptops 19,436 discussions
icon
Security 30,426 discussions
icon
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
icon
Windows 10 360 discussions
icon
Phones 15,802 discussions
icon
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
icon
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Smartphone tip

Hoarding photos on your phone?

Those picture are hogging memory and could be slowing down your phone.