Storage forum

General discussion

1430SA Hard drive madness

by bsodalert / June 14, 2008 3:52 AM PDT

I have just built a system for a freind (photog). I have 5 seagate HDD's with 4 of them in 2 raid 0 arrays o0n the Adaptec 1430SA.

All went ok with build, OS installation, drivers updates etc. I tested the system stability/performance with some apps and sisoft sandra XII SP2c has some problems. The memory bandwidth and sytem performance tests fail with BSOD's.

After lots of testing and trying I have discovered that the problem is with the 1430SA. If i install the OS to my 5th hdd connected to the mobo sata controller all tests pass ok.

I replaced the 1430SA, same problem.

Adaptec support, which is very poor, sent me a link to a document not on the product page on the adaptec website. the doc lists compatable HDD,s. It is probable a couple of years old and i can't find any HDD's available in the uk that are on the list.

Adaptec say "the 1430SA is not at fault, its my fault for using non compliant HDD's" I have asked them for a list of current HDD's and have recieved no response.

Is anyone out there using the 1430SA without any issues?
which hard drives are you guys using?

I have Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 250GB 7200RPM S300 16MB

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 1430SA Hard drive madness
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 1430SA Hard drive madness
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Use something else.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2008 3:59 AM PDT

When you encounter an outdated, no support product you send it back and move on.

Collapse -
Ok, what do you suggest.
by bsodalert / June 14, 2008 4:14 AM PDT
In reply to: Use something else.

Ok, what do you suggest.
I need a 4 port sata II on PCI-e

Collapse -
Check this recent post.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2008 4:16 AM PDT
Collapse -
Also, is your machine boring, plain, Intel CPU, no overclock
by bsodalert / June 14, 2008 4:20 AM PDT

Also, is your machine boring, plain, Intel CPU, no overclocking, etc?

Collapse -
Try this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2008 4:24 AM PDT

One stick of RAM, from 256 to 512MB to sniff out something. (something in BIOS version, firmware on card or BIOS settings.)

You didn't tell much about the host machine or whether you recreated this across other machines. One time I found such a board that never worked right on A___ boards but was good on G_______ boards. Very very annoying.

Collapse -
can you recomend a similar test software app?
by bsodalert / June 14, 2008 9:00 PM PDT
In reply to: Try this.

i tried with one stick of memory, same issue.
I have not tried in another system yet, may do it later.

the system has all the latest BIOS, Firmware and drivers.
I just tried disabling the PCI-e fullspectrum spread option Sad same issue.

I am just confirming it will work 100% with the sata attached drive.
just wanderd if i could use a similar testing app that might work with sata and raid then i can lay fault with sisft sandra.

If all else fails I may decide to return the adaptec card and 2 of the HDD's and forget raid altogether. I have built raid sytems before with enterprise level hardware without issue but the budget does not allow for that.

Adaptec is so at the bottom of my list from now on

Collapse -
Stuff happens.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 14, 2008 9:42 PM PDT

I did come across such but the owner had a pirate OS and had dislikes of ATI for such a reason. It worked with the real XP SP2 install. I can't tell why your setup fails except what you told. In the past I've used the SCSI Adaptec gear with little or no issue however I was well armed about how to configure all versions of SCSI. I can't say they are a bad company but today many expect said companies to make their machine work without paying them to fix it when it's something about their machine. This is why another machine is needed and why I note the OS.

Sorry but testing is not an answer as I see it. Changing that card looks to be the answer.

Collapse -
Western Digital 250GB Hard Drive Raid Edition II SATAII 7200
by bsodalert / June 14, 2008 11:49 PM PDT
In reply to: Stuff happens.

Hi Bob
No pirate software on any of my machines.
I have seen strange behavoir of sandra when the drive letter of the OS drive is not C: which is why i wanted the alternate testing app.

I will try in another machine but that will be tomorrow now.

I have already swapped the card for a new replacment.

may consider PCI alternative

at the moment i tempted to return the card and surplus drives, but am also tempted just to return all the drives and get a western digital RAID optimised set of drives.....but am worried that the drive will be optimised to deliver large files as opposed to a normal optimisation.

WD RE2 WD2502ABYS - hard drive - 250 GB - SATA-300
Western Digital 250GB Hard Drive Raid Edition II SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache - OEM

Collapse -
To slice the RAID optimization so finely...
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2008 12:12 AM PDT

One seems to be asking quite a lot to the point they should be developing their own firmware or maybe go with linux.

I dropped a hint that XP SP2 CD was a requirement but miss if you have that. As to drive C and this test failing I can't say I've heard such.

-> Let's try this from another angle. Besides this test software, is there any other failure while using this? If not I can see why Adaptec would shine you on.

Collapse -
by bsodalert / June 15, 2008 12:54 AM PDT

I have the SP2 XP Pro CD.
The problems are only shown as thus with the test software.
My freind is a photographer and i want to make sure his new PC is 100% stable.
I have not really tested the PC with apps running etc. but don't fancy spending 3-4 doing so because even without fail I would not feel confident.

Collapse -
I can see where you are coming from.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2008 12:59 AM PDT
In reply to: SP2 XP Pro CD

And I know Adaptec would see this. Now if we dump that test software, are there any other issues?

And did you ask the maker of the test software for support?

I think you're done except for that backup system. Can't count how many don't do this today.

Collapse -
I contacted sisoft Sandra
by bsodalert / June 15, 2008 1:09 AM PDT

the test software company are adamant that BSOD's are caused by drivers and hardware as opposed to software apps.

Collapse -
Yes. I can make that happen.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 15, 2008 1:17 AM PDT

I write some Windows apps and a small mistake on my part will cause a BSOD or such but is that my fault or the drivers?

Again, let's set that one failing app aside and see what else fails.

Collapse -
Adaptec suck
by bsodalert / June 17, 2008 6:14 PM PDT

I have just changed the drives for WD RE2 WD2502ABYS drives. These are WD enterprise raid edition hard drives. I ordered these on the recomendation of Adaptec after a 1hr on hold on an international phone line........I still have the same issue. Adaptec suck big time.

Do I need to change any settings in the sata configuration? from within the adaptec configuration.

I have also tried using the controller and hard drives in a different PC, same issue.

When I format the drive from within windows, its done in 5secs....?
If i do it from within adaptec config its 1 hour per drive.
If i defrag the drive from windows its done in 1sec?

Collapse -
(NT) Doctor, it hurts when I do this.
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2008 10:53 PM PDT
In reply to: Adaptec suck
Collapse -
is it normal?
by bsodalert / June 17, 2008 11:24 PM PDT

Hi Bob
do you consider it normal that a 500gb hdd formats in seconds and defrags in 1 sec just after a new install and updates, apps etc?

Collapse -
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / June 17, 2008 11:30 PM PDT
In reply to: is it normal?

But I've seen too much over the years. A format can the quick method or the slow one. That particular item is a non-issue to people like me since we are not "users" but experts. We may find in some manual it eschews something (or not) about how to format. I have not dug into the manual but see something simpler going on.

You have a specific combo of hardware and one software that fails.

Since the software is not an application of any daily use by most people we should set it aside and look for other problems. So far you seen to putting this on a stick and (excuse me since I can't find a rewrite) parading it as proof something is deadly wrong.

I've seen this before and found machines that work flawlessly (as Windows machines go) so all I can do is offer some advice. Which is... Try using the machine with the OS, drivers and apps and watch for an issue.

My other advice is to dump that controller for something else.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

CNET Holiday Gift Guide

Looking for great gifts under $100?

Trendy tech gifts don't require a hefty price tag. Choose from these CNET-recommended useful and high-quality gadgets.