Headphones & Mp3 Players forum

General discussion

12 things I HATE about IPOD NANO

by zosterino / September 10, 2006 2:24 AM PDT

1. It doesn?t come with a charger, you can only charge it through the computer, through his dedicated apple cable (not a standard mini USB). A charger is 30 Euro or so?
2. poor shuffle/replay modes. only: shuffle all(absolutely all) songs, or if you have ?shuffle? activated, it shuffles whatever you got in the playlist (also it is a long way through the menu to activate or deactivate shuffle mode).
3. It doesn?t have a function that stops the it after x minutes or at a certain hour (which is useful if you want to listen to music when You fall asleep)
4. Your music is classified by the ID3tag info, not by directories that You have in your computer (that can not be copied as directories to ipod, the mp3-s are copied with different names like ZGDZ.mp3 in his own named directories), so You better have good id3-tags
5. You can only upload through iTunes. Think of the consequences yourself
6. The earbuds are weak at some songs and also lack bass. They also start to emit a ticking sound after a while of use (I think this is a common ipod headphones issue).
7. the backlight is too strong (yeah, there is such thing). In darkness it?s disturbing to look at it
8. accessories are ridiculously expensive
9. You can?t zoom on pictures (there is a software though that enables You to zoom and also view video I think)
10. short battery life (and no interchangeable battery also)
11. no recorder (or fm tuner or stuff like that)
12. occasional bugs:
a. the three bars that are supposed to swap when pressing the central button while the song is displayed (elapsed+remaining time, search bar, stars status), didn?t swap any more and it only showed me the search bar.
b. songs weren?t added to the ?recently added? playlist
c. it didn?t show me the pictures that were uploaded

Good stuff:
a) DESIGN (looks great, very thin, fits your pocket really nice, the touchwheel is nice)
b) Quality sound at least with circumaural headphones (full-ear headphones)
c) The search bar is nice (instead of FF or RW)

PS: this is't as much a manifesto as it is a helpful advice. if You read the marks above, and would still like to buy an ipod nano, I have nothing against it, so don't tell me what an idiot I am if You don't agree with me.

Post a reply
Discussion is locked
You are posting a reply to: 12 things I HATE about IPOD NANO
The posting of advertisements, profanity, or personal attacks is prohibited. Please refer to our CNET Forums policies for details. All submitted content is subject to our Terms of Use.
Track this discussion and email me when there are updates

If you're asking for technical help, please be sure to include all your system info, including operating system, model number, and any other specifics related to the problem. Also please exercise your best judgment when posting in the forums--revealing personal information such as your e-mail address, telephone number, and address is not recommended.

You are reporting the following post: 12 things I HATE about IPOD NANO
This post has been flagged and will be reviewed by our staff. Thank you for helping us maintain CNET's great community.
Sorry, there was a problem flagging this post. Please try again now or at a later time.
If you believe this post is offensive or violates the CNET Forums' Usage policies, you can report it below (this will not automatically remove the post). Once reported, our moderators will be notified and the post will be reviewed.
Collapse -
Why can't I use other than iTunes?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 10, 2006 3:15 AM PDT

I'm sorely confused by that point since there are other solutions available unless one doesn't look for them.

Collapse -
Hate Nano
by slaha11 / September 10, 2006 3:57 AM PDT

Real great review.

One thing I wonder about: Somebody should lodge an antitrust case against Apple for forcing people to use iTunes, and not giving any options to the customer!

Collapse -
YOU have the greatest option there is:
by daveworld / September 11, 2006 2:16 PM PDT
In reply to: Hate Nano

Don't buy.

Before we go After Apple, can we make a case against the printer company?s cartridge high prices?

Collapse -
You lack resourcefulness
by PShirley / September 10, 2006 5:26 AM PDT

1. There are so many ways to get this unit charged... do you listen in your car? Many kits also charge the bat;
2. So make lots of playlists;
3. It has a sleep mode... did you learn about your unit?
4. You can "group change" lots of items in the songs list in itunes - thus you can group songs any way you like with any tags you like;
5. Then why did you buy the Nano? You are only complaining about your own lack of research into what will make you happy;
6. Buy Shure's earbuds and treat yourself to better audio, no matter what you listen to (!);
7. Flip it over;
8. Again - your choice to buy in the first place;
9. Music or pictures - which is more important?
10. Mine has never died on a single flight. You must not have much else to do in your life if you are always listening to your iPod.
11. See #5 & #8 above;
12. Ever try resetting it? It is microprocessor based and all need a reboot once in a while

Your remarks are not helpful to anyone. You just wanted to complain - try politics more people with bigger problems!

Collapse -
12 things I HATE about IPOD NANO
by kaydog / September 10, 2006 9:45 AM PDT

if you think that you can only load songs from itunes, you really are the moron you sound like

Collapse -
by zosterino / September 11, 2006 4:29 AM PDT

i guess there are always asses that get offensed by anything

Collapse -
(NT) (NT) No offense taken. But can you answer my question?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 5:16 AM PDT
In reply to: lame..
Collapse -
ok, i was wrong
by zosterino / September 11, 2006 5:38 AM PDT

yeah, I see there are other programs that appeard that let You manage the Ipod (like this one http://www.redchairsoftware.com/anapod/featpw.php ). Still, there are some inconveniences (but somewhat insignificant)

PS. that message (lame..) wasn't valid for Your post

Collapse -
How about doing this?
by R. Proffitt Forum moderator / September 11, 2006 5:43 AM PDT
In reply to: ok, i was wrong

Would you like for this discussion to be locked (your choice) and for you to post a new updated list?

Collapse -
Overal valid points
by daveworld / September 11, 2006 2:58 PM PDT

1) Apple once bundled the charger, they need to do so again.
2) Hmmm agreed
3) Wrong - I listen to music/podcast on sleep mode every night. It also has Alarm.
4) There are advantages to ID3 Tags - take for instance "smart playlist" just to name one.
5) Others corrected you here
6) You can't expect the best earbuds bundled, but they are good enough for most. I just bought Sennheiser CX 300 which is great.
7) True - you should be able to adjust the backlight.
Cool Give it a little time, cost will drop as more and more companies compete. I already noticed drop in prices on certain accessories from over a year ago, but yes most are still expensive.
9) Don?t think that's something people are asking for?
10) Hmmm - better battery is always good for any of the other players with the exception of Sony.
11) Don?t think that's something people are asking for? But available as accessories.
12) Tue but again the same with other players
a.) Try resetting the iPod?
b.) I?ve noticed that on my girlfriends Nano, yup a bug.

I will add lucky #13: On my older iPod (3G), I was able to control the contrast, now I can't on the (5G). I would be able to save battery by turning off the backlight, now doing so on my 5G the screen is so dark it is unreadable, forcing me to keep backlight on draining the battery even faster.

Valid complaints I would like to see myself, but if they never update it, there are still enough good in the player that for outweigh the bad.

Popular Forums
Computer Help 49,613 discussions
Computer Newbies 10,349 discussions
Laptops 19,436 discussions
Security 30,426 discussions
TVs & Home Theaters 20,308 discussions
Windows 10 360 discussions
Phones 15,802 discussions
Windows 7 7,351 discussions
Networking & Wireless 14,641 discussions

Having Wi-Fi troubles?

From the garage to the basement, we blanketed every square inch of the CNET Smart Home with fast, reliable Wi-Fi.